Music, black/white or just music??

SouthernJet

Seems many pidgeon hole their tastes due to race/religion.

I think whats good is good. Blacks should listen to good white folk tunes and whites should listen to good black folk ditties. Ergo, religiosu zealots should listen to catchy knee slappers as opposed to JUST gospel/hymnal.

Thoughts?

SuperStock_1527R-87001.jpg

I see what you are saying but part of me disagrees, and part of me agrees. Hopefully, there is no bias when it comes to music and you listen to whatever moves you but if you are just listening to something to be cool than you're doing it all wrong.

I don't listen to hip hop and race has nothing to do with it, I've just found stuff that I enjoy more. I listen to a little jazz, but mostly blues, soul, early r&b (not that crap they call r&b today), rock and roll and on and on. I think some people forget that Bo Diddley and Chuck Berry ever existed and just exactly what they did for music.

Then there is the Hendrix example.

When Hendrix started playing the States, black people didn't like him because he played "white music" or whatever they were calling it. Now on all the documentaries, he's "theirs." That's bull**** because he's said plenty of times that he did not see color.. he's everyone's.

I can't speak for older people but with our generation, people don't really care about music. It's just a filler for walking to class or something. The people that do care about music, live it and don't just say they love it but actually mean it, don't let race get in the way (I hope).

I see what you are saying but part of me disagrees, and part of me agrees. Hopefully, there is no bias when it comes to music and you listen to whatever moves you but if you are just listening to something to be cool than you're doing it all wrong.

I don't listen to hip hop and race has nothing to do with it, I've just found stuff that I enjoy more. I listen to a little jazz, but mostly blues, soul, early r&b (not that crap they call r&b today), rock and roll and on and on. I think some people forget that Bo Diddley and Chuck Berry ever existed and just exactly what they did for music.

Then there is the Hendrix example.

When Hendrix started playing the States, black people didn't like him because he played "white music" or whatever they were calling it. Now on all the documentaries, he's "theirs." That's bull**** because he's said plenty of times that he did not see color.. he's everyone's.

I can't speak for older people but with our generation, people don't really care about music. It's just a filler for walking to class or something. The people that do care about music, live it and don't just say they love it but actually mean it, don't let race get in the way (I hope).

good post..........

there is no good reason to ever listen to country music

I listen to all types of music. Some not by choice, but I do. I can find good and bad in all forms of it. Personally I feel rock is on the decline while rap and country continue to grow. In the case of Cowboy Troy, they grow together. Weird s**t huh?

I listen to all types of music. Some not by choice, but I do. I can find good and bad in all forms of it. Personally I feel rock is on the decline while rap and country continue to grow. In the case of Cowboy Troy, they grow together. Weird s**t huh?

Music being broken down by racial lines have long been blurred.

I blame Rick Astley. ;)

Seriously, music has been crossing into different genres for a good 20 years. Some of the older music fans like gg could probably give exmaples dating past that.

Run DMC and Aerosmith's collaboration would barely register a ripple today.

Music has been broken down into racial and cultural categories (i.e. Rap being Black, Rock being white, Country being for southern white etc.)

I myself, am black, and truthfully mainly listen to "rap" (but not the new garbage, old school) with the exception of some RnB. I choose within myself to not listen to rock, not that i don't believe it is good music or that its for white people, just for some strange reason it doesn't appeal to me. But i hate when people categorize others by what they listen to.

For example, i have a friend (whom is black) and listens to heavy amount of Rock. Everyone i know calls him a whiteboy for that, which i don't understand.

Basically what i'm saying is, **** it, listen to whatever you want. I won't be the one to judge you, its music.

I absolutely cannot stand rap or hip-hop or whatever you want to call it and it has nothing to do with race. It's mostly because the stuff sucks, but also because of the "gangsta" culture that is tied to it and also because the *******s that insist on having car stereos so loud you can hear them from six blocks away usually play that ****.

If it was all about race, I wouldn't listen to any Motown or R&B and I like a lot of that stuff.

Music has been broken down into racial and cultural categories (i.e. Rap being Black, Rock being white, Country being for southern white etc.)

That said, it's most surveys and studies show middle class white kids that are actually the ones buying Rap albums.

You'll love the title of this book:

Why White Kids Love Hip Hop: Wangstas, Wiggers, Wannabes, and the New Reality of Race in America

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0465037461/

The author disputes the statistic that 70% of consumers of Rap are white, but comes up with a number closer to 60% and still calls the data unscientific.

Either way, conclusion is, Rap is not Black.

I absolutely cannot stand rap or hip-hop or whatever you want to call it and it has nothing to do with race. It's mostly because the stuff sucks, but also because of the "gangsta" culture that is tied to it and also because the *******s that insist on having car stereos so loud you can hear them from six blocks away usually play that ****.

If it was all about race, I wouldn't listen to any Motown or R&B and I like a lot of that stuff.

& that's your personal opinion, despite the fact that you voiced in a derogatory manner i still don't take offense to that, because like i said. its YOUR opinion.

Bottom Line, no two people are the same, Bugeater likes his own music, i like my own. Its not a cultural or race thing, its a personal choice thing

& that's your personal opinion, despite the fact that you voiced in a derogatory manner i still don't take offense to that, because like i said. its YOUR opinion.

Bottom Line, no two people are the same, Bugeater likes his own music, i like my own. Its not a cultural or race thing, its a personal choice thing

The only reason I spoke of it in a derogatory manner is because of the total lack of respect for others that many of the "gangsta" types have. No one wants to see your underwear, pull your ****ing pants up for god's sake, and no one is impressed that you spent $3K on a ****ing car stereo so loud that you can hear it before you see the vehicle. I should not be able to hear your goddamn booming bass when I'm in my own ****ing home.

I think whats good is good. Blacks should listen to good white folk tunes and whites should listen to good black folk ditties. Ergo, religiosu zealots should listen to catchy knee slappers as opposed to JUST gospel/hymnal.

Thoughts?

I listen to everything and it doesnt matter what race predominately owns that genre of music. For example, punk rock and reggae are my favorite genres. One of my favorite punk/hardcore bands is Bad Brains which is an all black band.

What I have noticed is that black people tend to only listen to black artists. There is some type of stigma that follows blacks that listen to white artists. I dont know if its like a race thing, but seriously, there are very few black people that listen to predominately white dominated genres of music.

John Coltrane. Billie Holiday. Miles Davis.

I agree that rap is crap, but these are three of the greatest musicians in recorded history. They influenced the likes of Janis Joplin, Chick Corea, and Eric Clapton.

I listen to what I like.

[..]

Thoughts?

It's true. And while today's mini-baby boom generation has a lot of cross-over, it will continue to be true. People identify with their music, and those who also identify strongly with their race or religion will have that show up in their musical tastes. Good ol' boys won't be putting on Tupac, and homeboys won't be listening to the Allmans. Just ain't happening.

People listen to what they like, but they can only choose to like something based on what they hear. If your parents and your friends all listen to the music of their race, that's all you're going to have to choose from. MTV broke down some barriers, but there will always be people using that limited crossover to confirm to themselves that they hate that crap (whatever that crap may be).

I'm a pretty liberally minded guy, but my music is predominantly white. From the Beatles, to punk, to alternative, to whatever's next, I guess. Artists like Prince and Living Colour wanted me to be their fan and it worked, but I'm not in Jay-Z's target audience. What Dave Chappelle said about the electric guitar is definitely true of me.

White folks will continue to rip off black music, though. Lots of rap makes it's way into today's alternative rock the way disco and reggae found it's way into punk and new wave years ago. White American mainstream pop music is just like the English language, it takes whatever it likes and makes it it's own. That sh!t's been going on since before Elvis, and it'll keep going on.

Those good ol' boys listening to Kid Rock have no idea...

Im black and I listen to anything from GOA trance to Greenday to U2 to Jay-Z to Lady Gaga to Phil Collins/Sting/ Rolling Stones, Rammstein, Disturbed, Pink Floyd Led Zeppelin.

Music is music, regardless of the race of whomever is creating said music. But that's just me.

I do understand the racial breakdowns, a couple of blk friends have told me my taste is music is "too white"

I myself, am black, and truthfully mainly listen to "rap" (but not the new garbage, old school) with the exception of some RnB. I choose within myself to not listen to rock, not that i don't believe it is good music or that its for white people, just for some strange reason it doesn't appeal to me. But i hate when people categorize others by what they listen to.

For example, i have a friend (whom is black) and listens to heavy amount of Rock. Everyone i know calls him a whiteboy for that, which i don't understand.

Basically what i'm saying is, **** it, listen to whatever you want. I won't be the one to judge you, its music.

i got a puerto rican friend who listened to stuff like megadeth and slayer in highschool. wore the shirts and all that. all the other puerto ricans used to bully him and pick fights with him cause they said he wasn't a real puerto rican. stupid right? they all walked around calling eachother true god, and i love manifest allah. bunch of morons if you asked me.

The only reason I spoke of it in a derogatory manner is because of the total lack of respect for others that many of the "gangsta" types have. No one wants to see your underwear, pull your ****ing pants up for god's sake, and no one is impressed that you spent $3K on a ****ing car stereo so loud that you can hear it before you see the vehicle. I should not be able to hear your goddamn booming bass when I'm in my own ****ing home.

Oh yeah, cause Rock N Rollers are so respectable and awesome. :rl:

You can take the extremes of any type of music and skew it like that if you want.

Archived