Agents steering players away from Browns?

:rl: :rl: :rl:

Sources: Agents steering players away from Browns

Posted by Mike Florio on September 16, 2009 7:28 PM ET

Though the Cleveland Browns were able to lure to town today a couple of players with connections to coach Eric Mangini (safety Ray Ventrone and guard Billy Yates), multiple sources have told us that some agents plan to steer their clients away from the Browns.

Right or wrong, there's a sense of discontent regarding the new regime in Cleveland, where coach Eric Mangini and G.M. George Kokinis are running the show, with Mangini serving essentially as the man in charge.

A variety of issues have contributed to the situation, and we're in the process of tracking down specific details regarding some of the potential problem areas.

In the offseason, feathers were ruffled when Mangini took first-year players on a ten-hour bus ride to Hartford, Connecticut to work a youth football camp. Also, the lingering contractual impasse regarding receiver Josh Cribbs could be creating trust issues, given Cribbs' strong belief that owner Randy Lerner promised to re-work Cribbs' below-market deal, and the fact that Mangini/Kokinis have denied the allegation.

The Cribbs conundrum reminds many of the disputes that arose when Mangini coached the Jets, including guard Pete Kendall, receiver Laveranues Coles, and tight end Chris Baker. All claimed that promises had been made regarding their contracts, and that the promises had been broken.

As one source explained it, the Browns likely will be required to overpay free agents in the offseason. If the money that Cleveland is offering matches the money on the table from another team, the thinking is that the players will be far more inclined to sign with the team not named the Browns.

UPDATE: In response to this item, an agent who was not one of the sources for the original item contacted us, agreed with it wholeheartedly, and said, "I would put one of my players on another team's practice squad before putting him on the Browns."

Yeah I tell ya there plenty of teams that look more tempting than the Browns. Not just talking about wins/losses standards, just overall scope of the team. From management down, they just seem like a crappy team to play for. And as you can see by the Jets players this year, you CAN have fun and be disciplined at the same time.

Yeah I tell ya there plenty of teams that look more tempting than the Browns. Not just talking about wins/losses standards, just overall scope of the team. From management down, they just seem like a crappy team to play for. And as you can see by the Jets players this year, you CAN have fun and be disciplined at the same time.

I disagree about the disipline aspect. I don't think we are. Let's keep our eye on the number of penelties we rack up this year. Last year we were one of the least penelized teams in the NFL under Mangini. We racked up a ton in the pre season this year and had 10 for 80 yards against Houston Sunday. Only Arizona had more (12) on Sunday.

Not surprising.

Plus, Thai, discipline is not only about penalties. Thus, being least penalized does not mean the team is disciplined per se. Discipline also means assignments and roles and how a team carries out those assignments and roles. Tackling and blocking are part of discipline.

That said, the Jets penalities bear watching.

I disagree about the disipline aspect. I don't think we are. Let's keep our eye on the number of penelties we rack up this year. Last year we were one of the least penelized teams in the NFL under Mangini. We racked up a ton in the pre season this year and had 10 for 80 yards against Houston Sunday. Only Arizona had more (12) on Sunday.

We were always the least penalized team in the league under Herm. It doesn't mean a damn thing. Conservative teams are always less penalized than aggressive ones. Its just the nature of how the game is played. Granted we need to be careful to not be too overly penalized like we saw in preseason, but I'll take a few more penalties here and there as opposed to sitting back and playing scared all game every game.

Its great to see Mangini learned from his mistakes with the Jets.

Luckily there are limited jobs in the NFL and there are plenty of players who'll play for a sh!tty coach just so they have a career.

Ya know what Lil, this was my biggest problem with Mangina. He was such an arrogant bastard that he could learn from his mistakes. He was thick about everything and so stubborn, he never saw the error in this ways.

Ya know what Lil, this was my biggest problem with Mangina. He was such an arrogant bastard that he could learn from his mistakes. He was thick about everything and so stubborn, he never saw the error in this ways.

You, I & Bleedin discussed this in the past.

For career longevity, the worse possible thing to happen to Mangini was the Browns giving him a HC job. The Browns rewarded his methods. He has no reason to be reflective and learn from his mistakes.

That's why I thought it was asinine for certain people to claim Mangini was a good HC and assume that he will improve. He has no reason to change or improve. The Browns gave him millions of dollars because of who he is.

Why should Mangini change? The Browns obviously didn't think he should.

Mangini had a chance to be a good HC, but his arrogance and stubborness has ruined his career prospects. After he gets fired from the Browns he'll have to learn to be a coordinator somewhere (he sucked at that too BTW) and then maybe he might get another chance.

For career longevity, the worse possible thing to happen to Mangini was the Browns giving him a HC job. The Browns rewarded his methods. He has no reason to be reflective and learn from his mistakes.

That's why I thought it was asinine for certain people to claim Mangini was a good HC and assume that he will improve. He has no reason to change or improve. The Browns gave him millions of dollars because of who he is.

Mangini had a chance to be a good HC, but his arrogance and stubborness has ruined his career prospects. After he gets fired from the Browns he'll have to learn to be a coordinator somewhere (he sucked at that too BTW) and then maybe he might get another chance.

Yep. I think we were one of the first to start cursing about how terrible that guy really was here...I mean just pathetic.

You are right though, the Browns for some strange reason thought that his style would be successful in Cleveland. Who knows why, but they jumped all over the guy when nobody else wanted to touch him.

He will be a complete failure in Cleveland and he will try to be a DC somewhere else, the problem is, who the **** would want this guy on his coaching staff?

Wow.. Great post.

Exactly, and we're being proven more and more right by the day. In this case, the Browns are more to blame than even Mangini himself. There wasn't a hesitation on their part. It was clear that Mangini, for all of his flaws and just the way he was, was their guy. Mangini is just giving them exactly what they asked for, but in the long run he'll suffer from this just as much, if not more, than the Browns. Like you already said SMC, its pretty much the worse thing that could have happened for him.

After he gets fired from the Browns he'll have to learn to be a coordinator somewhere (he sucked at that too BTW) and then maybe he might get another chance.

If Al Groh can make it in the college ranks, so can Mangini. That's where I'd expect his next stop to be.

not only did the browns hire him....they rushed to overpay the dude like there was gonna be a run on his services.

Yep. I think we were one of the first to start cursing about how terrible that guy really was here...I mean just pathetic.

BS..

I am almost always the first person to criticize a Jet, any Jet :yes:

You may think it's my critical nature, but 40 years of failure have proven me right :D

BS..

I am almost always the first person to criticize a Jet, any Jet :yes:

You may think it's my critical nature, but 40 years of failure have proven me right :D

Oh like I'm the most optimistic fan in the world. :rolleyes: I know you associate me with klecko on just about everything, but I dont share his blind homerism.

I realize we suck in all facets of Football.

I meant as far as completing their tasks on the field, and knowing game plans for other teams, strategies, etc. Yes discipline does involve penalties too, which I'm sure if it becomes a major problem you will see Rex address it. But I'll take a few extra penalties for a performance like we had against Houston. Rather then a scared, unaggressive defense like Mangini runs.

Actually, CTM, I did start the MHC. :D

My organization never took off, i believe they started the same day. the Anti Mangina Coaltion :D

But, i was the first one to bash him for the Mangenuis ****, especially after the Sopranos episode ...

lol

Oh like I'm the most optimistic fan in the world. :rolleyes: I know you associate me with klecko on just about everything, but I dont share his blind homerism.

I realize we suck in all facets of Football.

I don't associate you with Klecko.. I recognize he's a stalker and its not ur fault that u r teh fatnip..

I only bash when you encourage him in anyway :yes:

I meant as far as completing their tasks on the field, and knowing game plans for other teams, strategies, etc. Yes discipline does involve penalties too, which I'm sure if it becomes a major problem you will see Rex address it. But I'll take a few extra penalties for a performance like we had against Houston. Rather then a scared, unaggressive defense like Mangini runs.

??? Dude just HowTF do you measure that ? Lots of penalties shows a lack of discipline and WILL result in needless losses. Ask Oakland.

??? Dude just HowTF do you measure that ? Lots of penalties shows a lack of discipline and WILL result in needless losses. Ask Oakland.

What you call lack of discipline, I call being "over-aggressive". It was the first game of the season, the discipline will come. And if we can win games 24-7 while being a bit "undisciplined", I'll take that ANYTIME.

Archived