Next Year's #1 pick Some help for Jenkins

afosomf

Bama nose tackle more than just a big man

Terrence Cody is a big-time athlete

By Tommy Deas, Executive Sports Editor Published: Saturday, September 19, 2009 at 6:01 a.m.

Last Modified: Friday, September 18, 2009 at 3:11 p.m.

TUSCALOOSA | Terrence Cody has always made a lasting first impression.

Players to watch

Cody drives to the basket over an unidentified player (22) during one of Cody's games at Riverdale High School. Cody was called for the charge. The University of Alabama

Depending on the value available at WR I'd have no problem with that. Cody could be a beast in the role of occupying blockers and stuffing the run. I've wanted them to improve their depth at NT for a while now. They need to have someone back there so the dropoff isn't that significant when Jenkins isn't in, for whatever reason. Also, he's not going to last forever so they need to groom his potential replacement. I want them to address the issue no later than the 3rd round. Its the most important 3-4 position and pretty damn important in a 4-3 as well.

Hopefully, Jets arent in position to draft an elite DT prospect.

Anyway, Jenkins is a singular athlete. It would be near miraculous for the Jets to add a DT/NT that comes close to Jenkins' ability. No matter the guy's pedigree. It just doesn't happen. Best to hope Jenkins can stay healthy.

Gut feeling:

1. A new CBA will be in place before the start of the 2010 NFL year in March and, thus, there'll be a cap.

2. Leon will be an UFA and be franchised while they work out a new long term deal in the high $5 million to 6 million per range.

3. The Browns will franchise Braylon Edwards and the Jets will work out a trade for less than a 1st rounder.

4. The Jets will use a 1st rounder on Dline help, NT or DE.

Said this in another thread, if we land anywhere from picks 18+ its great value for the kid and he'll have a transition period to learn behind Jenkins. Who cares how dumb he is, I don't think it takes much to explain the NT position.

Coach: "Son this is what you do. You see the guy snapping the ball? Run straight into him, and take on one of the guys either to the right or left of him."

Cody is a monster when motivated. Interesting that the article gives him a lot of credit for endurance when a major concern that scouts supposedly have is endurance, and makes him seem less athletic than a lot of the rumors (particularly the one that he can do a 360 dunk). Still there are people who say they wouldn't touch him day 1. Unless he has a tremendous season this year (even better than last year) and gets away from a lot of the weight/endurance questions by staying on the field a lot I'd guess he ends up mid to late first.

Suh is an interesting guy who still probably needs to develop some and probably will end up playing end in the 3-4 instead of tackle. Boo Robinson of Wake Forest is probably the best NT option outside of Cody. There are defensive ends all over the place in the 2010 draft besides Suh though: Odrick out of Penn State, Jones from 'Cuse, Oghobaase from Duke, McCoy from Oklahoma if he comes out probably could play end, Wooten from Northwestern, Allen Bailey from Miami could be a man child at DE and a perfect fit for Ryan's defense if he comes out this year though he is raw, lots of options there.

The great thing about drafting a guy like Cody though is that he can not only spell Jenkins at NT but they're athletic enough that you can stick one of them at end and get both on the field at the same time, given how creative the defensive coaches are now I'm sure they would play around with that if we had another giant guy on the team.

RYDNZRJEKSLDASP.20071023152123.jpg

General DL prospect...would play mostly DE in our 3-4. IMO the best 2 gap player in the upcoming draft.

Think he's really underrated right now...some people don't even have him in the first round. Could be a fantastic fit and great value, think the fact that he's at Duke hurts his hype and he'll outperform his draft status if he lands in the smart situation. Smart guy too, believe he graduated in 3 years which is why a lot of people thought he was a lock to enter the 2009 draft early.

Think he's really underrated right now...some people don't even have him in the first round. Could be a fantastic fit and great value, think the fact that he's at Duke hurts his hype and he'll outperform his draft status if he lands in the smart situation. Smart guy too, believe he graduated in 3 years which is why a lot of people thought he was a lock to enter the 2009 draft early.

IMO he's the next one of those big, tall, athletic DE/DT's like Seymour, Williams, Haynesworth, Stroud, and Henderson. You could throw Warren, Castillo, Canty, and whoever else into the conversation, but I mention those guys because they're all 6'6 305-325-ish and sick athletes.

A friend of mine was teammates with him in high school and still keeps in touch. Says Cody is dumber than sh#t.

Who cares, he'd be playing NT it's one of the easiest spots to learn how to play if you have the ability. Stand between these two guys (point at the DEs) and go forward when the ball (point at ball) is snapped.

If we have a chance to get him we should, true NT are one of the hardest positions to fill, most guys aren't big or strong enough.

I have no idea what pick we've traded away for Shepard at the end of the season but I believe these are the most important positions and roles I would like to address in the draft:

Wide Receiver: We're all looking for a guy who can grow with Sanchise and become his number one target for the next ten years; preferably very tall.

DT or NT/ OLINE: I'll take either one with the second or third round picks we need depth, we need players who can learn from our defensive leaders and have the abilities and athleticism to step up into roles and eventually become starters.

Cornerback: Depth would be nice here

Outside Linebacker: Even if VG comes around, Bryan Thomas will be too expensive to keep him on for salary cap reasons.

Another Wide Receiver our depth here is the worst.

Archived