***** Jets News - Gameday - 9/20/09 *****

SoFlaJets

Jets say he is 'the same Tom Brady

'By MARK CANNIZZARO

Last Updated: 4:56 AM, September 20, 2009

There has been a lot of talk this week about how Tom Brady didn't look like his "old self" against the Bills Monday night. To that thought, the Jets wonder, "Who have these people been watching?"

Right tackle Damien Woody, who blocked for Brady when he played in New England before signing with the Jets, said Brady's "mental toughness" separates him from the rest.

"He doesn't let anything faze him," Woody said.

Woody recalled the hit Mo Lewis put on Drew Bledsoe back in 2001, prompting the Patriots to play Brady, a sixth-round draft pick who had been buried on the depth chart.

"It changed the course of history," Woody said.

Brady, who is 7-0 against the Jets lifetime at the Meadowlands and with a win today can tie Jim McMahon for longest streak of consecutive regular-season wins by a quarterback (22), actually tied his career high in completions for a game with 39 (he was 39-of-53).

"He looked like the same Tom Brady to me," coach Rex Ryan said. "I know he had some dropped balls. If they didn't drop those, what did he throw, 45 completions? You have to put pressure on him. I don't think there was a whole lot of pressure on him [by the Bills]. He got sacked once and he got hit a few times. I never thought he flinched one bit."

Brady took notice of the Jets' relentless pressure on Texans quarterback Matt Schaub, saying, "I was glad it wasn't me I was watching on film. They got after him. This is one of the best Jets teams we have ever faced. You can't lose your concentration in any one phase. If you do, it's a strip-sack fumble for a touchdown, an interception, or a blitz that you don't see. That can hurt you."

Bill Belichick & Rex Ryan have crosshairs fixed on quarterbacks Mark Sanchez & Tom Brady

For a dozen years, the rivalry was fueled by controversial defections, cold handshakes and illegal videotaping. Then along came the outsider, Rex Ryan, who jumped into the Jets-Patriots pool with a cannonball, creating waves bigger than before.

With his brash comments, Ryan - the King of Zing - has made Sunday's home opener all about him. Him and Bill Belichick. One career victory versus three Super Bowl championships. With his now-famous "kiss" quote, Ryan has turned the 26th battle of the Border War era into a three-ring circus.

"I thought about retiring - retire at 1.000 and be ahead of him in the percentages," Ryan said with a laugh. "But my wife said, 'No, you're going to work.'"

Yes, Ryan has given Belichick his props, calling him the best coach in the league, but he also has refused to concede anything. In the staid world of the NFL, that amounts to a white glove across the face, a public challenge.

Which brings us to today. Peel away the peripheral storylines, like the headline-making quotes by Kerry Rhodes and Kris Jenkins, and you will see the true essence of the game: Two of the top defensive minds in the game, Ryan and Belichick, trying to get the other guy's quarterback.

It's a classic chess match, with two masters employing different strategies in an effort to capture the other's king.

Belichick has built a reputation for confusing rookie quarterbacks, and his objective is to make Mark Sanchez wish he never left the comfy cocoon of USC. Since he became the Patriots' head coach in 2000, Belichick is 5-1 against rookies, and they're combined passer rating is an ugly 55.9. As the Jets' defensive coordinator in 1998, he befuddled a then-rookie Peyton Manning into a two-interception nightmare, starting a trend that took years for Manning to overturn.

Ryan, too, is known for being hell on quarterbacks. Just ask the Texans' Matt Schaub, assuming he's coherent by now. Unlike Belichick, who will often rely on complex coverages to rattle quarterbacks, Ryan does most of his dirty work up front, with ever-changing fronts and an assortment of blitzes. Led by "The Mad Backer," Bart Scott, they hit Schaub nine times. Scott alone had four.

"I'm glad that wasn't me I was watching on film," Tom Brady said after studying the Jets-Texans tape. "They really got after him."

Ryan knows the best way to beat Brady (7-0 at the Meadowlands) is to put him on his back. Even then, there are no guarantees. The Bills hit him six times, yet Brady still tied a career-high 39 completions for 378 yards and two touchdowns in the Patriots' come-from-behind victory

Rhodes guaranteed the Jets will hit Brady more than six times. The Jets won't say it publicly, but they sense that Brady still is tentative on his surgically repaired knee and that his pass protection is vulnerable. Look for the Jets, who blitzed 22 times last week on 36 pass plays, to crank up a similar ratio against the Patriots.

"The past two years I've been here, we haven't had a good pass rush on him," said cornerback Darrelle Revis, who has the tall task of covering Randy Moss. "I'm not saying our D-line (stinks) - we're very good - but that's the past. We have a new nucleus, a new coaching staff and a new personality."

Brady noticed that as soon as he turned on the tape. He saw Ryan's attitude everywhere.

"He's a very confident coach, and that comes across to his players," Brady said. "He's brought a different attitude to the Jets, and they're playing very well."

Facing a rookie, Belichick has an easier job than Ryan. As well as Sanchez played in his NFL debut, it's going to be a lot tougher against the Patriots, who will show more looks than the Texans. Chances are, he will see both the 3-4 and 4-3 fronts. He could face an overload blitz on one play, an eight-man zone the next. You can bet Belichick and coordinator Dean Pees will do something to keep the mobile Sanchez in the pocket.

"They give quarterbacks fits," said Sanchez, who wasn't blitzed that often last week. "It's important for me to be smart with the football."

One thing that could help the Jets is the dramatic turnover on the Patriots' defense, which lost six starters and star linebacker Jerod Mayo (knee). The old stars are gone, putting more pressure on Belichick to cook up a winning plan.

"He comes up with some great schemes," Ryan said. "I've stolen from him in the past. We've got a 'Patriot' coverage that we've played for years. He'll put traps out there, things like that."

Ryan smiled.

"But, of course, he knows his quarterback is going to be facing the same thing," he said.

They call that tugging on Superman's cape.

PATRIOTS at JETS,

At Giants Stadium, 1 p.m.VITALS

THE LINE: Patriots by 3.5

TV: Ch. 2 (Greg Gumbel, Dan Dierdorf)

RADIO: WEPN 1050-AM (Bob Wischusen, Marty Lyons)

FORECAST: Sunny and 74 degrees with little wind.

INJURY IMPACT

ILB Jerod Mayo, the Patriots' best defensive player, is out after spraining his MCL against the Bills. Jets DE Shaun Ellis returns after sitting out a one-game suspension. NT Kris Jenkins rested his back somewhat this week but it isn't thought to be serious. DT Sione Pouha (ankle) and special teamer Wallace Wright (hamstring) will also play.

FEATURE MATCHUPS

QB Tom Brady vs. Jets blitz: Rex Ryan overwhelmed Matt Schaub with pressure from everywhere and he made it difficult for Brady when he was running the Ravens defense. Brady had to knock off a lot of rust before finding his rhythm in the spread attack in the final five minutes Monday night. But the Bills made it easy for Brady by playing back. Obviously, Brady knows how to burn a blitz with hot read WR Wes Welker.

RB Leon Washington vs. ILB Gary Guyton: Obviously, the Patriots will have a target on Thomas Jones' chest but it's the Jets' other back that worries them. Second-year man Guyton, subbing for Mayo in an unfamiliar position inside, got caught out of position a number of times as the Bills ran successful screens and dumpoffs. The Patriots could decide to move the versatile Adalius Thomas to the inside for this game and go with more 4-3 fronts.

SCOUT SAYS

"The Jets' ability to run the ball was the key to their offense last week and the Patriots will try to shut that off first. (Mark) Sanchez comes out of a pro offense at USC but the Patriots are capable of so many looks out of the 3-4 and 4-3. Last week, they took away the deep stuff against the Bills, but Sanchez will see a lot more blitzes and combination coverages. Sanchez will be doing a lot of sprint outs and boots to avoid pressure. He's got a good tight end in Dustin Keller who'll be a big part of the game plan. The Patriots were lucky they didn't play the Jets last week the way their offensive line performed. They're going to have to step it up, particularly (OT) Matt Light."

INTANGIBLES

The Jets shave walked a fine line with their attitude this week, supplying bulletin board material to a team that knows how to use it. But, hey, if they can really "embarrass" the Pats as Kerry Rhodes suggests, think of the swagger they'll have as Ryan leads them the rest of the way. In truth, they should feel good about themselves after playing a complete game against a hyped team on the road. But these are the Patriots, who can look lousy for three-plus quarters and then turn it on. They know how to win (especially at Giants Stadium) and the Jets haven't quite mastered that since Super Bowl III.

PREDICTION

Patriots 27-17: We like Sanchez. We love Brady.

- Hank Gola

PATRIOTS at JETS,

At Giants Stadium, 1 p.m.VITALS

THE LINE: Patriots by 3.5

TV: Ch. 2 (Greg Gumbel, Dan Dierdorf)

RADIO: WEPN 1050-AM (Bob Wischusen, Marty Lyons)

FORECAST: Sunny and 74 degrees with little wind.

INJURY IMPACT

ILB Jerod Mayo, the Patriots' best defensive player, is out after spraining his MCL against the Bills. Jets DE Shaun Ellis returns after sitting out a one-game suspension. NT Kris Jenkins rested his back somewhat this week but it isn't thought to be serious. DT Sione Pouha (ankle) and special teamer Wallace Wright (hamstring) will also play.

FEATURE MATCHUPS

QB Tom Brady vs. Jets blitz: Rex Ryan overwhelmed Matt Schaub with pressure from everywhere and he made it difficult for Brady when he was running the Ravens defense. Brady had to knock off a lot of rust before finding his rhythm in the spread attack in the final five minutes Monday night. But the Bills made it easy for Brady by playing back. Obviously, Brady knows how to burn a blitz with hot read WR Wes Welker.

RB Leon Washington vs. ILB Gary Guyton: Obviously, the Patriots will have a target on Thomas Jones' chest but it's the Jets' other back that worries them. Second-year man Guyton, subbing for Mayo in an unfamiliar position inside, got caught out of position a number of times as the Bills ran successful screens and dumpoffs. The Patriots could decide to move the versatile Adalius Thomas to the inside for this game and go with more 4-3 fronts.

SCOUT SAYS

"The Jets' ability to run the ball was the key to their offense last week and the Patriots will try to shut that off first. (Mark) Sanchez comes out of a pro offense at USC but the Patriots are capable of so many looks out of the 3-4 and 4-3. Last week, they took away the deep stuff against the Bills, but Sanchez will see a lot more blitzes and combination coverages. Sanchez will be doing a lot of sprint outs and boots to avoid pressure. He's got a good tight end in Dustin Keller who'll be a big part of the game plan. The Patriots were lucky they didn't play the Jets last week the way their offensive line performed. They're going to have to step it up, particularly (OT) Matt Light."

INTANGIBLES

The Jets shave walked a fine line with their attitude this week, supplying bulletin board material to a team that knows how to use it. But, hey, if they can really "embarrass" the Pats as Kerry Rhodes suggests, think of the swagger they'll have as Ryan leads them the rest of the way. In truth, they should feel good about themselves after playing a complete game against a hyped team on the road. But these are the Patriots, who can look lousy for three-plus quarters and then turn it on. They know how to win (especially at Giants Stadium) and the Jets haven't quite mastered that since Super Bowl III.

PREDICTION

Patriots 27-17: We like Sanchez. We love Brady.

- Hank Gola

EFFF GOLA

the train has left station skippy

FOE FACT

The Patriots are 40-11 against AFC East opponents since 2001. The Jets are second in the division in that span at 25-25.

"...since 2001"? Can someone explain to me how results from that far back are at all relevant to a game nearly a decade later, in 2009?

List of players on the 2001 Jets roster that are on the Jets roster today:

1. Shaun Ellis

[end of list]

Hell, the Jets have more players from the 2001 Pats team on their current roster than from the 2001 Jets roster (Woody, Izzo). There are a whopping 3 players on NE that were on the 2001 team (Brady, Faulk, Light).

But sure, the Jets' game results going back to 2001 are meaningful today, and will have a great bearing on the final score.

EFFF GOLA

the train has left station skippy

and we have two Pats killers at the pass catching positions; Jerricho Cotchery and Dustin Keller

Cotch;

2004 1 catch for 18 yards (1 game)

2005 4-38

2006 12-191 2 TDs

2007 12-110

2008 6-107

Keller;

2008 9-106

and we have two Pats killers at the pass catching positions; Jerricho Cotchery and Dustin Keller

Cotch;

2004 1 catch for 18 yards (1 game)

2005 4-38

2006 12-191 2 TDs

2007 12-110

2008 6-107

Keller;

2008 9-106

i will be shocked if

keller does not have 2 td passes

barty doesn't lay out brady

leon doesn't have 125 combined yds and 1 td

Rhodes hits anybody

i will be shocked if

keller does not have 2 td passes

barty doesn't lay out brady

leon doesn't have 125 combined yds and 1 td

Rhodes hits anybody

I'll tell you a guy who ain't afraid to lay the wood at that position afos; James 'King Ugly' Ihedigbo-that kid has gotten better and I'll tell you who else could have a big impact for us; Eric Smith-he's a pretty good coverage safety who gives his all on every play...I wonder if we have a Dwight Lowery sighting today. Talk about a guy who has landed himself in the proverbial doghouse.

you did a great job! Thank you for all the information. GO JETS!

we need you back here KJ doing these articles threads with me and I know they're a lot of work and that you are very dilligent in finding them. Who knows maybe you can negotiate a new contract with Sperm Edwards

Archived