Where Was Gholston and Clowney?

SoFlaJets

I dont think after a game like this the guy to worry about is Gholston. The team played great today and I think its refreshing to see that the Jets dont worry about contracts to justify playing a guy. The Jets may not have won had they switched packges to bring a Gholston or Westerman on the field. Its the same reason Mike DeVito and Howard Green were not active.

It had a lot more to do with the packages they were using. Gholston will play a lot against the Titans.

He was playing, he was just shockingly awful on every play he was in. We may as well line up with 10 guys.

Thanks guys. Most of the time I just saw Harris and Scott. ::GoJets:

i will be real surprised if gholston is still on the team next season. regardless of cap-hit, he just hasn't made an impact in 18 games now. when udfa's like westerman and murrel make more of an impact it is a total embarrassment to the jets scouting and front-office. thank god they struck gold with sanchez, revis, mangold, brick, and cotch, otherwise the gholston blunder is the kind of pick that costs people their jobs.

Murrell finally got some playing time. I don't know what the **** you guys are talking about Gholston looking "awful". He looked almost the same as last week and everybody (except Rex) was sucking him off then. He isn't so bad against the run - he holds the edge and doesn't do much. Murrell seems to be the best natural pass rusher and I'm including Westerman, Thomas and Pace.

Murrell finally got some playing time. I don't know what the **** you guys are talking about Gholston looking "awful". He looked almost the same as last week and everybody (except Rex) was sucking him off then. He isn't so bad against the run - he holds the edge and doesn't do much. Murrell seems to be the best natural pass rusher and I'm including Westerman, Thomas and Pace.

No one on this team is a better pass rusher than Pace, or even close.

No one on this team is a better pass rusher than Pace, or even close.

Does he even have one move? He just runs in. Same as Harris. Harris is a great tackler and will make the play off a blitz, but if he's not freed up he's not getting the QB. In fact I think Ellis is better than Pace. Pace didn't have all those down years in AZ because of his innate pass rushing ability. IMO Murrell is considerably better, but is not good enough in other aspects to get on the field and like Gholston has the problem of being a tweener DE/LB.

Yep. Its kinda of funny when people talk **** about a player on this defense when we've played two of the best offensive units in the league and we held both out of the endzone. That is what you call a team effort.

Is Gholston might not be playing like the 6th overall pick, but you have to get past that at this point. It is what it is. He did pretty much the same thing he did last week. Again, he isnt going to put up huge numbers. He is an assignment guy for this team. We we load one side and send multiple players, its his job to create the hole for our guys to blitz through, he does that.

Dont get how anyone could be upset with a single player on defense right now. Its not like we are using him the same way we use or MLB and Secondary on blitzs. He is going untouched and filling lanes. He is creating the lanes when he is in the game. Thats his job.

Since Rex didnt draft VG he will have no problem pulling the plug on this 1st round "error"

I think Mr T will have to respect his opinion if the Jets continue to produce under Rex's leadeship.

How about some kudos for Pettine!!!

Lets hope he doesnt get a HC job offer too soon.

Eff VG. I dont wanna think of him anymore. It onlytakes away from the nice post victory happiness.

i will be real surprised if gholston is still on the team next season. regardless of cap-hit, he just hasn't made an impact in 18 games now. when udfa's like westerman and murrel make more of an impact it is a total embarrassment to the jets scouting and front-office. thank god they struck gold with sanchez, revis, mangold, brick, and cotch, otherwise the gholston blunder is the kind of pick that costs people their jobs.[/QUOTE]

WOW And how about the blunder that's DBrick, Manigold, Leon, Stuckey, Harris, Revis, Sanchez, Keller + FA pickups

Wow...just wow.

Does he even have one move? He just runs in. Same as Harris. Harris is a great tackler and will make the play off a blitz, but if he's not freed up he's not getting the QB. In fact I think Ellis is better than Pace. Pace didn't have all those down years in AZ because of his innate pass rushing ability. IMO Murrell is considerably better, but is not good enough in other aspects to get on the field and like Gholston has the problem of being a tweener DE/LB.

I don't care about what moves he does or doesn't have. He's the only one on this team who can consistently beat the opposing Left tackle, he's a good pass rusher whether he has a lot of moves or not. He was doing a great job through the first half of last season getting to the QB, not always getting sacks but putting him under enough pressure (Which can sometimes be just as important as a sack). Then Mangini started consistently dropping him in coverage because he's a moron.

I don't care about what moves he does or doesn't have. He's the only one on this team who can consistently beat the opposing Left tackle, he's a good pass rusher whether he has a lot of moves or not. He was doing a great job through the first half of last season getting to the QB, not always getting sacks but putting him under enough pressure (Which can sometimes be just as important as a sack). Then Mangini started consistently dropping him in coverage because he's a moron.

We probably will have to agree to disagree, but have you watched Murrell get after the QB? He hasn't gotten much run since the 2008 preseason, but he certainly looks like he can do the job. Pace is a much more rounded player, but he's no Derrick Thomas. In a straight pass rush situation I think Murrell would have a better chance of beating the LT than Pace. Murrell can't be used to drop into coverage and probably isn't too hot against the run. He also may take a wide edge rush which can leave a big hole and allow teams to run inside him (Mark Gastineau).

I think we're going to see less and less of Gholston with a few inactives mixed in. And he'll be gone before next season. There's just nothing here.

I don't know what some of you saw the 1st game, thank God Rex is on the money, and doesn't have to be loyal to him.

Tanny's usally on the money, but he missed bad here.

I think we're going to see less and less of Gholston with a few inactives mixed in. And he'll be gone before next season. There's just nothing here.

I don't know what some of you saw the 1st game, thank God Rex is on the money, and doesn't have to be loyal to him.

Imagine how good this team would be if they had drafted another good CB or a WR there...

This scheme is about team defense. It's a platitude, but it's true. That game is a textbook example of what it's supposed to look like. No matchup exploits, no pass rush games, no standout individual performances, just a wave of Jets surging across the line on every dropback and hurrying every throw. Watch a game where Baltimore's defense is really firing and even Ray Lewis is just one of a half-dozen purple jerseys converging on a spot.

That said, we did have to limit Gholston yesterday because he's a sitting duck on that little pick and flare New England likes to run. He should be able to make that play, but he can't, and that's on him so he sat some. He had a really great stretch at the end of the game where he was 2-gapping a bunch and opening pass rush lanes all over the place.

Yeah, and from your analysis, its pretty clear you don't understand what you are watching.

This scheme is about team defense. It's a platitude, but it's true. That game is a textbook example of what it's supposed to look like. No matchup exploits, no pass rush games, no standout individual performances, just a wave of Jets surging across the line on every dropback and hurrying every throw. Watch a game where Baltimore's defense is really firing and even Ray Lewis is just one of a half-dozen purple jerseys converging on a spot.

That said, we did have to limit Gholston yesterday because he's a sitting duck on that little pick and flare New England likes to run. He should be able to make that play, but he can't, and that's on him so he sat some. He had a really great stretch at the end of the game where he was 2-gapping a bunch and opening pass rush lanes all over the place.

Good stuff Aten.

I think Gholston wasn't used as much due to the return of Ellis. We ran a lot of four man fronts yesterday so you'd think you'd see Gholston out there more but Rex was going a little bigger up front with Ellis, Jenkins, Pouha and Douglass. I even saw one formation with Ellis at NT and Jenkins lined up at end. Then there was the two man front with just Ellis and Jenkins.

You're gonna see more and more situational stuff like that as the season progresses.

How much Gholston plays will be determined by if the scheme calls for his skillset or not.

Good stuff Aten.

I think Gholston wasn't used as much due to the return of Ellis. We ran a lot of four man fronts yesterday so you'd think you'd see Gholston out there more but Rex was going a little bigger up front with Ellis, Jenkins, Pouha and Douglass. I even saw one formation with Ellis at NT and Jenkins lined up at end. Then there was the two man front with just Ellis and Jenkins.

You're gonna see more and more situational stuff like that as the season progresses.

How much Gholston plays will be determined by if the scheme calls for his skillset or not.

The no 6 pick in the draft shouldn't be a role player. Even in defending him you can't help but mention what a bust he is.

Obrien2Toon

RexRyanRules

In time you will realize Kleckisgod is the only poster that holds any football knowledge.:rolleyes:

I'm sorry my confused friend (who likes Klecko AND Gastineau?) but it seems that most like to base their opinion of Gholston on his fantasy stats or lack thereof and tend to ignore his actual performance and also clearly demonstrate a lack of understanding as to how he is being used.

I mean people were ripping Gholston last week for only getting three tackles and one for a loss while praising Jenkins while Jenkins who had only one tackle in the game.

Those people either clearly didn't understand how Gholston was being used or are stubborn pricks who've made up their minds to hate the kid for no good reason.

I got news for ya. He plays for your team and he's got a huge contract. He ain't going anywhere any time soon so you'll be a lot happier if you look for some positives.

I'm sorry my confused friend (who likes Klecko AND Gastineau?) but it seems that most like to base their opinion of Gholston on his fantasy stats or lack thereof and tend to ignore his actual performance and also clearly demonstrate a lack of understanding as to how he is being used.

I mean people were ripping Gholston last week for only getting three tackles and one for a loss while praising Jenkins while Jenkins who had only one tackle in the game.

Those people either clearly didn't understand how Gholston was being used or are stubborn pricks who've made up their minds to hate the kid for no good reason.

I got news for ya. He plays for your team and he's got a huge contract. He ain't going anywhere any time soon so you'll be a lot happier if you look for some positives.

:yawn:

Great post. This is what I've been trying to say, but just put in a much more clear way for understanding.

The no 6 pick in the draft shouldn't be a role player. Even in defending him you can't help but mention what a bust he is.

The nice thing is, we have the luxury of being able to "bring him along". Gholston doesnt need to look like the 6th overall pick right now. He doesnt need to look like Ware. He needs to do his job, learn the NFL game (cuz its his first year actually playing) and work on the individual stuff during his own time. Eventually with Rex Ryan as his coach, I think the kid will start to come close to warranting that selection, he may never live up to 6th overall, but he may come close....eventually.

If he was a "bust", like so many claim, I'm sorry, but Rex Ryan wouldnt be putting him on the field. Especially when you are trying to protect a lead late in the game. If you noticed, Gholston was in quite a bit during that time. You arent going to risk putting a so called "bust" in the game at that point. So clearly, Rex Ryan disagrees with EVERYONE who is calling Gholston a bust.

So you can insult guys like Klecko for defending him, but in turn, you are insulting Rex Ryan for trusting a "bust" as much as he does in critical situations.

Archived