Here's what I dont get...

GLH222

This team went 9-7 a year ago. They upgraded defensively in the form of Scott, Leonord, Stickland, Sheppard, etc...offensively they fell off in the form of losing a aging qb, and a WR, but retained the core and saw young talent such as Dustin Keller and Stuckey mature. Not to mention the coach that took the brunt of the blame was shown the door, replaced with a reputed defensive whiz who was asked to improve on an already solid defense. Yet, the football world is SUPRISED that this team is a contendor? I just dont get it. How can the ESPN talking heads of the world actually be suprised by this teams success? The talent, the experience, the staff.....what am I missing here, this isnt a mistake...this team is just (gasp) good! thoughts?

This team went 9-7 a year ago. They upgraded defensively in the form of Scott, Leonord, Stickland, Sheppard, etc...offensively they fell off in the form of losing a aging qb, and a WR, but retained the core and saw young talent such as Dustin Keller and Stuckey mature. Not to mention the coach that took the brunt of the blame was shown the door, replaced with a reputed defensive whiz who was asked to improve on an already solid defense. Yet, the football world is SUPRISED that this team is a contendor? I just dont get it. How can the ESPN talking heads of the world actually be suprised by this teams success? The talent, the experience, the staff.....what am I missing here, this isnt a mistake...this team is just (gasp) good! thoughts?

I got nothing... :confused0082:

I think the analysts are just surprised how QUICKLY we've become a dominant defense. We weren't DOMINANT last season (pretty bad against the pass, yardage-wise), and COMPLETELY shut down two high-powered offenses in Houston and New England. Not only that, but our 21-year old rookie QB has performed very capably.

Hell, us JETS FANS are surprised how fast the defense has bought in and become an elite D. We're also surprised to be 2-0. I think some of the analysts are off the hook on this one.

I think there are a couple of reasons

1) Defense: The Jets have not had a defense this nasty since Bud Carson was here as DC in the mid 80's. Even on the last New England drive the Jets were bringing pressure, unlike Mangini or Herm who would just sit back and play prevent. Hard Hits, pressure and just overall violence fires up a crowd I think more than an 80yd TD pass. Nobody saw the defense playing this well this early in the year. Once they get Pace back for the Miami game they can be just downright scary.

2) Sanchez: You expect rookie QB's to have their downs and ups but so far Sanchez has been great. He has made mistakes but he is showing us that we have our franchise QB for the next 10 years. Maybe his smartest play of the day yesterday was on the Jets last drive when he took the sack instead of throwing it up for grabs, and you know there was an instant where he wanted to throw that ball. Most rookie QB's, heck even some well established vets throw that ball. He took the sack and let the defense win the game.

It will be interesting to see how this team responds this week when they play Tennessee. This was such an emotional win for them I really want to see how they answer the bell when they face a Tennessee team desperate for a win.

They missed it because they're idiots. Its the same reason they totally ignored the Pats losing five defensive starters and not hiring an offensive coordinator.

The reason why none of the "experts" thought we would be contenders is because of a rookie QB and a rookie HC. Other than that the team improved on Defense and on offense only lost a crybaby #2 Wide Receiver who at this point isn't anything better than we currently have.

The Jets are like the Boise State of the NFL. Everyone respects that we have elite talent but they don't think we have a shot at the national championship so we get ranked outside the top 15, and they show tons of love to the USC version Pats. Truth is we were ranked fourth best team in our division going into the season. Yes we had a rookie HC, and a rookie QB but our HC was of unquestionable pedigree, and we had more pro bowl players last year than anyone. Analysts think the Pats are so unfreakintouchable, they lose all their defense but they're supposed to be ranked number two because of a crazy good offense. By that logic the Saints ought to be ranked higher than them. Not one person picked the Jets to win week one. I mean are you serious? I knew we would win without a doubt. We should be ranked in the top three after this week but we won't be. On defense we have arguably the best players in the game on all three levels with Jenkins, Scott and Revis.

The Jets are like the Boise State of the NFL. Everyone respects that we have elite talent but they don't think we have a shot at the national championship so we get ranked outside the top 15, and they show tons of love to the USC version Pats. Truth is we were ranked fourth best team in our division going into the season. Yes we had a rookie HC, and a rookie QB but our HC was of unquestionable pedigree, and we had more pro bowl players last year than anyone. Analysts think the Pats are so unfreakintouchable, they lose all their defense but they're supposed to be ranked number two because of a crazy good offense. By that logic the Saints ought to be ranked higher than them. Not one person picked the Jets to win week one. I mean are you serious? I knew we would win without a doubt. We should be ranked in the top three after this week but we won't be. On defense we have arguably the best players in the game on all three levels with Jenkins, Scott and Revis.

I know only one person that picked the Jets, Brian Baldinger.

Our schedule was pretty weak last year (although we did better against the better teams) and we're starting a kid whose doing something never really done before.

And that's an interesting point. This is no Miami2008 situation where a team takes advantage of a weak schedule to sneak up on people. If the Jets do this thing, they are going to do it against the best in the league.

I think we were getting a fair level of respect, some “experts” had us down a surprise team. I did have very high hopes for the team this season though; Said all along we could very easily turn out to be the 2008 Baltimore Ravens.

I always did think we were underrated though. Consider this:

- People overrated Favre and what he done for this team last year. He was playing behind probably the best line in football, had a good running game backing him up and yet he continually pissed away games toward the end of the season. The great form we were in at 8-3 last season had very little to do with the Diva, who was rarely if ever throwing the ball beyond 15 yards.

- Rex Ryan vs Eric Mangini. Yeah, as if the defense was ever going to be anything like last season. I’m pretty sure I was the first one on this site on the Rex Ryan bandwagon last December (If not I was pretty close). The way he ran his defense in Baltimore, it was just organised chaos! It was absolutely awesome to watch and I knew with the personnel that we had in place (Jenkins, Pace, Revis, Rhodes etc) that his success in Baltimore could continue with the Jets. Then when you bring in an elite OLB/ILB like Bart Scott and Jim Leonhard, both familiar with the system and you know you’re going to have one hell of a defense. The Mangini/Sutton combo was a ****ing disaster, gutless.

- Sanchez: The idea that he was being throw to the wolves with this team. The idea that with 16 college starts he wasn’t ready. Sometimes it’s just a matter of watching the guy play – At USC it was clear that his style could translate to the pro-level. He looked a lot more pro-ready than most, regardless of how many starts he had. I also don’t know how many times people complained about the lack of an elite WR. Would it have helped? Of course, but the presence of an elite offensive line was always going to be more important. It’s looked that way on the field, Sanchez is getting a lot of time to throw. Now I was in no way expecting this kid to look so good so early, but I felt really good about him. Love his passion for the game and even more importantly his passion for the Jets. He’s so easy to root for, big contrast to last season.

Last year's schedule was MUCH easier than this years schedule. The team has improved, as we all knew they would, but no one could expect the amount of improvement on the defensive side of the ball, nor the veteran play of rookie Mark Sanchez.

Archived