Live Chat With Rod Boone

flgreen

[Comment From MikeC]

Rod, Great work. Now that the Jets are the talk of the town, obviously us fans are squirming because this is when it usually all goes wrong. With a desperate Titans team this week and Drew Brees and Co. next week, there is a good chance the Jets could be 2-2 before you know it. Do you think Rex Ryan will have this team prepared not to have a let down?

1:06

Thanks MikeC. You didn't read my story today! lol. Seriously, that's kind of what I talked to a few of the players about yesterday and Rex was asked the complacency question as well. Believe me, they are aware of what happened last year when they were getting all those pats on the back. They vow it's not going to happen again and they really shouldn't need any extra motivation with a desperate 0-2 Titans team coming to town.

1:06

[Comment From Joe]

Hey Rod hows it goin. With the Jets having just won their "superbowl", is there a sense that this could be kind of a letdown game a la USC Saturday in Washington?

1:08

What's up Joe. That question falls in line to what MikeC asked. I think the players know what's at stake. They haven't won anything yet and two wins to start the season doesn't guarantee them anything. Bringing the players back in yesterday instead of giving them the day off is a good start to fighting the dreaded complacency.

1:08

[Comment From Shrek]

Hi Rod..great job here and on Twitter!....Was Gholston at the game on Sunday? (I'm only half kidding) Don't remember seeing him and did not hear his name mentioned during the game or since. Is Westerhaus taking some downs away from him? Thanks.

1:09

[Comment From upstatejetsfan]

Hi Rod, Has Rex had it with Gholston? I don't recall his name being mentioned at all? To think the Jets could have had Mayo is tough to take. Also, any word on Lito, other than what Rex said yesterday..Thank you..

[Comment From Aron]

Hey Rod -- can we safely assume that Gholston's invisibility this week had more to do with defending a passing attack and scheming against it, than with him slipping back to his inauspicious 2008 performance?

[Comment From HalF]

What do you think the Jets will do about Vernon Gholston once Calvin Pace comes back in 3 weeks? VG still seems to be a bit lost out there.

1:12

Thanks Shrek and everyone else! Ah, once again what would a Live chat be without a question about VG? Quite honestly, Gholston didn't do a darn thing Sunday and Rex wasn't even asked about him after the game nor yesterday. I specifically grabbed the binoculars and looked at him alone during a few plays and saw nothing. I guess the best thing to say is his presence hasn't hurt the team.

As for Lito Sheppard, there's nothing new on him other than what we got yesterday. Seems like he'll be ready, though.

1:12

[Comment From Grant]

Hey Rod! whats up dude and good job.. Are the Jets planning to get recievers 3-5 any more playing time? or run some plays especially for them? I think we are underutilizing the clown but i wonder if that is a by-product of easing Sanchez into the offense... Your thoughts?

1:16

Appreciate that Grant. There are a package of plays just specifically for David Clowney, but it appearas if he hasn't really been needed yet. I'm sure they want to get the other wide receivers involved at some point because they will, I'm sure, go to more empty backfield looks when Sanchez becomes more comfortable out there and can go through multiple reads quickly.

1:16

[Comment From are-tee]

Rod, Sanchez has been throwing almost everything to three guys - Cotchery, Stuckey & Keller, and the underneath stuff to Leon. When will Smith and the Clown get involved? I think they each had one target in Houston, zero against the Pats.

1:19

are-tee, I just think those are the guys he's comfortable with at the moment and as I said above, he's a rookie quarterback mind you. He can't go through four or five reads fast enough because the defenses are giving him different looks to confuse him. I wouldn't worry about that too much. There will be plenty of time to get the ball to Brad Smith and Clowney as he becomes more familiar with reading defenses.

[Comment From shrek]

Rod. Any sense as to whether the Jets think the tampering charge will stick?

[Comment From Aron]

Rod, calling out the elephant in the room with the SF tampering charge. *If* the Jets were found guilty, what would they realistically stand to lose? When all is said and done, tough as it is to prove these things, do you think they'll be caught with their hands in the cookie jar?

1:23

From what I understand, the charge will not stick. Doesn't mean that it can't happen, of course. But I'd be shocked from what I'm hearing from at least one person in the know if the charges are found true.

1:23

[Comment From sfmike]

Rod, did the defense, in your opinion, really get inside Brady's head? Does Atlanta go after him the same way this weekend?THX

1:25

I think the defense got in his head somewhat because he missed two wide open potential touchdowns. That fraction of a second is all it takes to throw someone like Tom Brady off his game. The Jets didn't sack him, but got 23 quarterback hits/pressures according to Rex. That's bringing the funk. As for ATL doing the same thing, they can try but their defense isn't as good as the Jets.

1:25

[Comment From Megadon 75]

Good job as always Rod. Since the Jets were so conservative in the first half and only had success in the 2nd half because they threw the ball, do you see them opening up from the beginning against the Titans? Maybe spread it out some?

1:27

Thanks Megadon75. Not really, I think the Jets' gameplan will remain the same until someone stops them. They will pound, pound and pound some more so it can open up the playaction for Sanchez. Then when the defense loosens up, they can either run the ball more effectively or spread the opposition out and throw the ball more.

1:27

[Comment From Aron]

It appears the Titans aren't doing the best job defending the pass (understatement if you had a chance to follow those games). Can we assume the Jets are going to open it up against them, or are they going to try to stick to a more balanced, conservative, rookie-qb friendly gameplan this week?

1:31

Hey Aron. I think it's more of the latter as I said above. Why change your gameplan when it's gotten you two straight wins? I know they will tweak it week-to-week and maybe target a different area to attack, but the Jets will run the ball first, then try to pass. I wouldn't expect Sanchez to throw the ball 35-40 times just because the Texans torched the Titans' secondary. But you can look for a few new wrinkles each week as Sanchez continues to mature out there.

1:31

[Comment From John Z]

Great block by Sanchez on the reverse. Kind of risky with your franchise QB, isn't it?

1:34

lol JohnZ. It was a bit of a risk, but hey the guy is a football player -- and a rookie. He'll learn, just like he learned how not to tackle on the 48-yard fumble return by the Texans in the opener.

1:34

[Comment From Aron]

Should we expect to see the 'Seminole'/Wildcat used more for the Jets this year, or are they going to keep it somewhere in the back of the playbook with the statue of liberty? And will Brad Smith be running it at any point, he's surely a better passer than Leon.

1:36

Aron, the Jets worked extensively on the Wildcat in training camp up in Cortland. But shhh because we can't tell you any of the specifics of what they were doing. I can say that you should expect to see more of thw Wildcat as the season wears on. How much? I'm not telling because I was sworn to secrecy! Just kidding. Seriously, they'll be using it more, believe me.

1:36

[Comment From Morristown Mike]

Rod, what are Rex's thoughts on the special teams play? So far, I am not too concerned..

1:39

Morristown Mike, I actually meant to ask him that question yesterday but didn't. But there are NO concerns with special teams play. You have an accurate/clutch kicker in Jay Feely; a consistent punter in Steve Weatherford; sure-handed returners Leon Washington and Jim Leonhard. Worries? What worries? That's as solid a group of special teamers as they come.

[Comment From Brett F.]

Not that many people have been talking about Strickland's play in the secondary on Sunday. I thought he played great and was one of the reasons why we had an extra DB on the field over a guy like Gholston. I hope he's healthy for next week...Any update? We can use him against Tennessee...What do you think?

[Comment From Paul M.]

Hey Rod, With Sheppard & Strickland questionable for Tenn. Do you see the Jets bringing in a vet corner? Cory Ivy?

1:43

Brett F. I agree and you are reading my mind brother. All I can say is check tomorrow's Newsday and here on Newsday.com and you'll be pleasantly surprised. Strickland said yesterday that he hopes he can play, but wasn't sure. He'll have a better idea tomorrow, but he's a tough guy. He's been banged up a little and he'll fight through it the best he can.

Paul M: From the sound of things yesterday, Rex said he didn't think either would be listed as out this week. So that's a good start. Again, we'll know more tomorrow.

1:44

[Comment From MrGreenT]

Rod, how do you think the Titans OL will handle the blitzing? I'm kinda giddy since Collins is a statue back there. Thanks.

1:46

Mr. Green T! That's going to be an interesting thing to watch. I don't believe there are many offensive lines out there that can hold up all game to the Jets' blitzes and with Collins being not a very mobile guy, the 'D' is probably licking its chops. But remember, the Titans do have a familiar face playing center who's still pretty good.

1:46

[Comment From Bym]

As Tennessee doesn' t have a big threat wide receiver like Houston and New England do, do you think we might see Revis come in on more blitzes this Sunday?

1:50

Bym, that's a great point. I think they will do different things with Revis, maybe move him around a little bit more and, yes, even let him fly in on a corner blitz. After shutting down Andre Johnson and Randy Moss, this week should be a cakewalk, right? Kidding. It's never that way in the NFL as we know.

1:50

[Comment From cmart28]

Hey Rod. The Jets seemed to use a ton of 3-3-5 on Sunday, with Eric Smith at the hybrid linebacker/safety spot in the box, which I've only seen effectively used for a long period of time in college. Was this because Gholston hasn't impressed, and, if so, should we expect to see this until Pace is back?

1:52

cmart28: That formation was because the Jets wanted DB help. They had 10 DBs active for the game and used them all. They knew the Pats were a passing team (even their best runs come out of designed screens) and went with extra DBs. They had three D-lineman inactive for the game just because they knew Brady was going to drop back and pass all game just as he did.

[Comment From upstatejetsfan09]

Hey Rod, do you think the Jets luck could be changing? We are 2-0, Mangini is 0-2, Pennington and the linebacker for the Fish(whose name I cant remember) and had words with Rex are 0-2, the BC coach has been fired from 2 jobs since interviewing with the Jets, could Boland have been bad luck??? You are undefeated in BlogLand Rod!!! No pressure there!!

[Comment From david welsh]

how far do you think the jets can go

1:56

upstatejetsfan09: lol. E-Bo. is good luck. Just look at the Yankees! I think the culture and atmosphere is definitely changing around Jetsland. You can just feel it. But don't get too high or low yet. We've got a long way to go. They have the coach and the franchise quarterback and that's the way to start building this thing long term.

david welsh: I picked them to go 9-7 and I'm going to stick with that for now. I wsn't sure they would make the playoffs, but this start cerainly is going to help their postseason chances.

1:56

[Comment From Chris]

Do you ever see the Jets organization even being remotely compared to the New York Giants one day, I know its a big shadow they cast upon us Jets fans here.

1:59

Chris: The Giants are in a class by themselves, we all know that. It's hard to match that tradition. But I'll say this: Rex and Sanchez have much more star power than Eli and Coughlin. This will most likely always be a Big Blue town (ducking) but the Jets are sure making up some ground with the moves they've made and players they've brought in. They're trying to create a new identity and it all begins with Rex.

[Comment From syossetsam]

Hello Rod,

[Comment From syosset sam]

Can you make an arguement that Revis is the best football player in the league the past 2 weeks?

2:01

Yes and just about everyone I spoke with in the locker room agrees, although I'm sure they are biased. But the head coach, who's seen some pretty good cornerbacks in his day, believes it too. Revis is the best. Hands down.

Moderator: Our hour is up. Thanks for joining us today. We'll take one more question.

[Comment From Left Coast Bill]

It looks like the Jets defense is more pass defense oriented than run oriented at this point. Do you think the Titans will try to pound the rock more to test the defense? Thanks Rod!

2:04

Pound it with Chris Johnson? You better believe they will. Johnson is their best hope because if the Jets shut the running game down and force Collins to drop back 40 times, look out. Could get ugly. But don't sleep on the Titans.

Moderator: Thanks all. Check back next week for another live chat.

Thanks guys for joining us today. Don't forget to follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/rodboone.

Archived