Jets not overlooking Titans

SoFlaJets

4:40 PM By Roderick Boone

Greetings from The Hangar.

It was back to work for the Jets today as they come off their high from Sunday's big 16-9 win over the Pats. It's time to start preparing for an 0-2 Titans team that's coming off that 34-31 shootout loss to the Texans, the very squad the Jets trounced in the season opener.

We've already addressed the overconfidence factor in our story Tuesday, so no need to go there really. But that was the theme behind some of the questions Rex Ryan was asked today in his press conference with us.

Ryan almost seemed bothered when someone asked the proverbial trap game question.

"I don't know why this would be a trap game," he said. "This is just our next opponent. We know they're an outstanding football team. If they beat us, it has nothing to do with it being a trap game or us not putting forth the effort. We're going to give everything we've got this week. If they're going to beat us, they're going to have to earn it."

Well, what about that Titans' secondary, Rex? Isn't it vulnerable since they've allowed 678 yards through their first two games? You guys can torch them through the air, right?

Doesn't always work that way as we know because things change from week-to-week in the NFL. The Titans still have some good personnel and Rex knows that. They are the second-ranked team against the run after all, surrendering 49.5 yards per game.

"That's the dreaded combo platter," Ryan said. "Maybe they're No. 1 (really No. 2) against the run, but 32nd against the pass. They're playing an excellent run defense and if you can't run the ball, then you've got to throw it. Sometimes if a team throws it 60 times on you or 50 times, they're going to get yardage. Clearly they had some mistakes in the secondary. ... I'm sure they're going to be trying to get everything fixed. Hopefully, they make mistakes against us. We'll see. We're not anticipating that, though."

WIth regards to the injury situation, as I Tweeted earlier, CBs Lito Sheppard (quad) and Donald Strickland (right ankle) were riding the stationary bikes and working out on the side during the 40 minutes of practice we were allowed to witness.

Ryan said neither participated in practice and he's not 100 percent convinced if both will be available Sunday, thus the reason CB Marquice Cole was signed from the practice squad and TE Matthew Mulligan was waived.

I spoke with Strickland, whom I wrote about in today's paper, to inquire how he was feeling after two days of treatment.

"Each day it's getting better," Strickland told me, adding that he's 'hopeful.' "So I'm very optimistic for Sunday, the way it's going. If it keeps getting better each day then I'll be out there."

Strickland said he got twisted up in a pile when he was coming in on a blitz and his foot got stuck in the turf. The receiver kept pushing him and his foot got trapped in between someone else's foot and just got rolled up.

OL Matt Slauson, this year's sixth-round pick, was limited in practice. Others listed on the injury report who practiced fully: QB Kellen Clemens (right elbow), DL Kris Jenkins (back), S Jim Leonhard (knee), CB Dwight Lowery (ankle), C Nick Mangold (toes), DL Sione Pouha (ankle), LB Bryan Thomas (ankle), LB Jamaal Westerman (quad), T Damien Woody (right shoulder), WR Wallace Wright (hamstring).

For the Titans, TE Bo Scaife (knee), G Eugene Amano (illness) and LB Stanford Keglar (hamstring) didn't practice.

The situation between the two could be awkward, considering they share the same agent in David Dunn and Mark Sanchez was drafted as the future franchise quarterback while Clemens has essentially been forgotten about.

But Clemens has been helping Sanchez with his development and the rookie threw considerable praise Clemens' way today. The biggest compliment of all? Listen to this:

"Kellen is like a big brother," Sanchez said. "The best way to describe Kellen, totally honest, is if I had a sister, I'd want her to her to marry Kellen. I'm totally honest. He's a great guy and when it comes to football, he's totally well-versed in this offense. He knows exactly what I'm thinking out there."

Funny scene: Owner Woody Johnson served as the quarterback on a couple of defensive line drills early on in practice. Wearing his business attire (minus the sport coat), the Jets' owner squatted like he was behind center and threw two passes to the lineman.

Someone shouted: "Break it down Wood."

The first pass, well it wasn't very good. But the second was thrown right to LB Ryan Fowler.

"I thought it was really neat that he was able to not only come out there and not only watch, but get involved," said Fowler, a 6-3, 250-pound sixth-year pro out of Duke. "He threw the ball around."

Quipped Ryan: "We're always looking for guys out there and we only have four quarterbacks on the roster. He's got a good arm. We've got to work on that movement outside the pocket, but he has a good arm."

Get those throwback Titans jerseys ready. The Jets will wear their blue throwbacks against the, uh, um, Titans Sunday in the first of three occassions they'll be doing so.

The 'real' Titans will have an old school look of their own going on, wearing their old Houston Oilers' garb complete with the oil derricks and all.

Let's return to our regular-scheduled programming and head for the Rex Ryan Comedy Hour.

With the game time moved back from the original 4:15 p.m. start because of the Jewish holiday, that means the Jets and Giants will be playing at the same time Sunday. That rarely happens, but both will be going at their respective opponents starting at just after 1 p.m.

Thoughts, Rex?

He said: "Are we playing in the same stadium?"

oKZP6d-WP7E&feature=player_embedded

A few people have been in touch about Shonn Greene and asking when we might see him on the field. Rex Ryan was asked this during his press conference this week and didn't commit to a timetable on Shonn getting some touches with the Jets

"We're just trying to win and if that means Shonn is in the game running the ball for us, great," Ryan said. "But the good thing about this is we are in the win business. If that means we are going to put another defensive player up in his place or in somebody else's place, so be it."

Nobody was more delighted with the pick of Greene than I was, after watching him in college a little, reading about him pre and post draft, as well as seeing just what kind of player and man he was, I was sure this was the right move for the Jets.

Rex decided to go with the extra defensive lineman in Week one which was the sensible choice with Ellis being suspended and the fact that Greene had missed a lot of time towards the end of the pre-season with a rib injury. However he dressed for week two although he never got a touch.

I have a feeling that we may well see him sooner rather than later, maybe not much this week, the Titans are good against the run and poor against the pass, expect to see a lot of play action and a lot of Leon, however sooner or later he will get his chance. I'm confident that a year or two from now. When discussing Shonn we will talk about him sitting out the first two games and finally getting his chance, and being able to use the phrase

"The rest is history"

It was back to work for the Jets today as they come off their high from Sunday's big 16-9 win over the Pats. It's time to start preparing for an 0-2 Titans team that's coming off that 34-31 shootout loss to the Texans, the very squad the Jets trounced in the season opener.

We've already addressed the overconfidence factor in our story Tuesday, so no need to go there really. But that was the theme behind some of the questions Rex Ryan was asked today in his press conference with us.

Ryan almost seemed bothered when someone asked the proverbial trap game question.

"I don't know why this would be a trap game," he said. "This is just our next opponent. We know they're an outstanding football team. If they beat us, it has nothing to do with it being a trap game or us not putting forth the effort. We're going to give everything we've got this week. If they're going to beat us, they're going to have to earn it."

Well, what about that Titans' secondary, Rex? Isn't it vulnerable since they've allowed 678 yards through their first two games? You guys can torch them through the air, right?

Doesn't always work that way as we know because things change from week-to-week in the NFL. The Titans still have some good personnel and Rex knows that. They are the second-ranked team against the run after all, surrendering 49.5 yards per game.

"That's the dreaded combo platter," Ryan said. "Maybe they're No. 1 (really No. 2) against the run, but 32nd against the pass. They're playing an excellent run defense and if you can't run the ball, then you've got to throw it. Sometimes if a team throws it 60 times on you or 50 times, they're going to get yardage. Clearly they had some mistakes in the secondary. ... I'm sure they're going to be trying to get everything fixed. Hopefully, they make mistakes against us. We'll see. We're not anticipating that, though."

WIth regards to the injury situation, as I Tweeted earlier, CBs Lito Sheppard (quad) and Donald Strickland (right ankle) were riding the stationary bikes and working out on the side during the 40 minutes of practice we were allowed to witness.

Ryan said neither participated in practice and he's not 100 percent convinced if both will be available Sunday, thus the reason CB Marquice Cole was signed from the practice squad and TE Matthew Mulligan was waived.

I spoke with Strickland, whom I wrote about in today's paper, to inquire how he was feeling after two days of treatment.

"Each day it's getting better," Strickland told me, adding that he's 'hopeful.' "So I'm very optimistic for Sunday, the way it's going. If it keeps getting better each day then I'll be out there."

Strickland said he got twisted up in a pile when he was coming in on a blitz and his foot got stuck in the turf. The receiver kept pushing him and his foot got trapped in between someone else's foot and just got rolled up.

OL Matt Slauson, this year's sixth-round pick, was limited in practice. Others listed on the injury report who practiced fully: QB Kellen Clemens (right elbow), DL Kris Jenkins (back), S Jim Leonhard (knee), CB Dwight Lowery (ankle), C Nick Mangold (toes), DL Sione Pouha (ankle), LB Bryan Thomas (ankle), LB Jamaal Westerman (quad), T Damien Woody (right shoulder), WR Wallace Wright (hamstring).

For the Titans, TE Bo Scaife (knee), G Eugene Amano (illness) and LB Stanford Keglar (hamstring) didn't practice.

The situation between the two could be awkward, considering they share the same agent in David Dunn and Mark Sanchez was drafted as the future franchise quarterback while Clemens has essentially been forgotten about.

But Clemens has been helping Sanchez with his development and the rookie threw considerable praise Clemens' way today. The biggest compliment of all? Listen to this:

"Kellen is like a big brother," Sanchez said. "The best way to describe Kellen, totally honest, is if I had a sister, I'd want her to her to marry Kellen. I'm totally honest. He's a great guy and when it comes to football, he's totally well-versed in this offense. He knows exactly what I'm thinking out there."

Funny scene: Owner Woody Johnson served as the quarterback on a couple of defensive line drills early on in practice. Wearing his business attire (minus the sport coat), the Jets' owner squatted like he was behind center and threw two passes to the lineman.

Someone shouted: "Break it down Wood."

The first pass, well it wasn't very good. But the second was thrown right to LB Ryan Fowler.

"I thought it was really neat that he was able to not only come out there and not only watch, but get involved," said Fowler, a 6-3, 250-pound sixth-year pro out of Duke. "He threw the ball around."

Quipped Ryan: "We're always looking for guys out there and we only have four quarterbacks on the roster. He's got a good arm. We've got to work on that movement outside the pocket, but he has a good arm."

Get those throwback Titans jerseys ready. The Jets will wear their blue throwbacks against the, uh, um, Titans Sunday in the first of three occassions they'll be doing so.

The 'real' Titans will have an old school look of their own going on, wearing their old Houston Oilers' garb complete with the oil derricks and all.

Let's return to our regular-scheduled programming and head for the Rex Ryan Comedy Hour.

With the game time moved back from the original 4:15 p.m. start because of the Jewish holiday, that means the Jets and Giants will be playing at the same time Sunday. That rarely happens, but both will be going at their respective opponents starting at just after 1 p.m.

Thoughts, Rex?

He said: "Are we playing in the same stadium?"

Wait are we wearing the white titan jerseys or the blue? I coulda sworn I heard white a few times.

No offense to our QB, but he's a ****ing dork.

I think he sounds like an awesome dude and someone I would want to hang out with. Sounds like a real man to me. Respectful, humble and confident.

i feel the same way. Just listening to him during pressers and what not, combined with that picture that PS17 has as his sig, makes me see that its more then a game to him. He actually cares about what happens. That face he has in the picture is one i can imagine on any of our faces after a win like that.

i feel the same way. Just listening to him during pressers and what not, combined with that picture that PS17 has as his sig, makes me see that its more then a game to him. He actually cares about what happens. That face he has in the picture is one i can imagine on any of our faces after a win like that.

with sanchez it seems genuine, and he is 22 after all. when I was 22 I can't imagine what I would say to reporters

WIth regards to the injury situation, as I Tweeted earlier, CBs Lito Sheppard (quad) and Donald Strickland (right ankle) were riding the stationary bikes and working out on the side during the 40 minutes of practice we were allowed to witness. Others listed on the injury report who practiced fully: S Jim Leonhard (knee), CB Dwight Lowery (ankle),

That's a lot of dinged DBs. No wonder they signed Cole back to the roster.

No offense to our QB, but he's a ****ing dork.

He's a slick ****ing dork. Somebody asks about Kellen and he gives what at first glance seems like a political answer when what he's really doing is damning with faint praise. Would you let Joe Namath anywhere near your sister?

Archived