Titans on edge?

slats

Maybe desperation isn't a good thing. Per PFT:

Titans cracking up?

Posted by Mike Florio on September 24, 2009 7:58 AM ET

We were stunned a bit by the recent rant from Titans coach Jeff Fisher regarding NewChannel 5's treatment of the lawsuit filed by former Tennessee receiver David Givens against the team.

Though Fisher apparently has a beef regarding the manner in which his words were presented, the fact that he went a tad bonkos over the situation seemed to be a little much.

But it's one of the realities, in our view, of a team that started the 2008 regular season 13-2 and that is now riding a four-game losing streak in games that count, dating back to Week Seventeen of last year.

The most compelling evidence that things aren't going too well in Tennessee comes from the bizarre back and forth that emerged in the wake of Sunday's 34-31 loss to the Texans. Cornerback Nick Harper claimed that the coaching staff didn't make adjustments. Fisher claimed that the players didn't incorporate the adjustments that were made.

And this makes us wonder whether Fisher, who has thrived in relative anonymity since 1994 as head coach of the Houston Oilers/Tennessee Oilers/Tennessee Titans, might finally be reaching the end of the line. For some reason, Fisher has to date escaped the whispers that have plagued other coaches (like Philadelphia's Andy Reid) regarding whether, in the modern NFL, a point comes whether the players just don't listen anymore.

With big names like Bill Cowher, Mike Holmgren, and Mike Shanahan slowly circling in search of the coming coaching carcasses, there's a chance that 80-something owner Bud Adams will decide that the time for a change has come.

Which, of course, would likely delight Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, who undoubtedly would welcome Fisher to Dallas in a heartbeat.

So we'll be keeping an eye on the situation in Nashville. With each loss -- and based on the schedule it looks like more will be coming -- the pressure will be mounting.

Jeff Fisher is a good coach, and I really do think the Titans will turn it around. It may look like they’re falling apart but rest assured that this team will come to play on Sunday and they’ll be desperate to get a win. I think we will beat them but we better approach this game the right way. Last weeks game was big and an emotional win for everyone but it’s important that we prepare for this game with the same intensity as we did against New England. The Titans were unlucky last week against Houston and pretty unlucky against Pittsburgh too. A few plays go differently and they’re 2-0. It will not be easy on Sunday but I doubt the Titans fans are looking forward to this matchup either. We’re playing great football right now.

I generally agree with you, Irish. But perhaps the Titans were overrated last year.

In other words, perhaps they weren't as good as people thought. Now, they've lost their best player on defense in Haynesworth. Without him the defense is markedly weaker. Last year was keyed by Haynesworth & Johnson being monsters and Collins playing well. Haynesworth was a rare talent and it's hard for teams to overcome the loss of a rare talent.

Collins was looked on as a manager, but he could sling it when he had to. But now with Haynesworth gone, it's up to Collins & Johnson and I don't know it that's enough.

Interesting reading the Titans board. It's odd seeing a rival fanbase talk about the Jets with ... reverence?

This will be a very interesting game from a defensive stand point. We saw Rex's D run havoc against the run early on against the Texans. Will be interesting how they do against CJ.

If Rex can shut down CJ for the win, we may be in one of those seasons.

lookit Chan putting up the good stuff over there

hahaha.. that ain't me.. I don't make long heavily researched posts anymore.. ;)

As to the cheesburger comment.. it's all up to Sanchez.. early results are better then I thought, so there's reason to be very encouraged

Closing last season 1-4, firing Mangini, then shipping him the inflated pick and some binkies for Sanchez and hiring a real coach has been the plan since 2006. Everyone knows this.

funny i do not count the jills gift as a win

going 0-5 helped save this franchise

if we still had EM...mass suicides i tell ya

What I find surprising is that Fisher has had 14 full seasons as HC for the Titans (1995-2008, taking over midseason in 1994), and has had only 6 winning seasons (99, 00, 02, 03, 07,08) with 4 8-8 seasons (96-98, 06).

Cimini writes: "Fisher, entering his 15th season with the Titans, is the longest-tenured head coach in the NFL. That's one of the reasons why the Titans have won so many games over the years -- continuity."

Entering this season, Fisher was 128-102 (.556) (avg. 9 wins per season). he's 4-6 in the postseason.

I don't question whether Fisher is a good HC, but his record does not match the accolades.

What I find surprising is that Fisher has had 14 full seasons as HC for the Titans (1995-2008, taking over midseason in 1994), and has had only 6 winning seasons (99, 00, 02, 03, 07,08) with 4 8-8 seasons (96-98, 06).

Cimini writes: "Fisher, entering his 15th season with the Titans, is the longest-tenured head coach in the NFL. That's one of the reasons why the Titans have won so many games over the years -- continuity."

Entering this season, Fisher was 128-102 (.556) (avg. 9 wins per season). he's 4-6 in the postseason.

I don't question whether Fisher is a good HC, but his record does not match the accolades.

very conservative coach

had not for Music City Miracle no SB appearance

Interesting reading the Titans board. It's odd seeing a rival fanbase talk about the Jets with ... reverence?

This will be a very interesting game from a defensive stand point. We saw Rex's D run havoc against the run early on against the Texans. Will be interesting how they do against CJ.

If Rex can shut down CJ for the win, we may be in one of those seasons.

They did a good job with Slaton. They were more vulnerable to the run against NE because NE throws so much. Thankfully NE's running game is average. Tennessee runs on running downs. I think the D does a good job. Mind the TOs, don't overpursue and I think the Jets take it.

very conservative coach

had not for Music City Miracle no SB appearance

And think about this, from 1995-2008 (Fisher's 14 full seasons as HC) the Jets have had 5 HCs. BUT, check out the number of winning seasons:

Fisher's Winning Seasons from 95-08:

Jets' Winning Seasons from 95-98:

Fascinating.

And think about this, from 1995-2008 (Fisher's 14 full seasons as HC) the Jets have had 5 HCs. BUT, check out the number of winning seasons:

Jets' Winning Seasons from 95-98:

Fascinating.

That almost seems unbelievable..

Jets' Winning Seasons from 95-08:

Fascinating.

:shock: Facts don't lie. I must say, I'm shocked.

Archived