Anybody hear Fireman Ed on WFAN with Beningo Today?

JoeWillie

Pretty funny 15 minutes ... Beningo slamming Fireman Ed as a phony on his show today. Said he heard Ed was, at one time, a Dolphin fan ... also beating up because Ed was not the "original" J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets, guy. Also had a problem with him Fireman Ed not coming out and criticizing the Jets over the years when they deserved it.

Fireman Ed calls in to defend himself. Said he was too young to remember the '69 Super Bowl. He said, like many other kids in the '70's, he liked the Dolphins and the Cowboys when he was 9 years old because they won and were always on TV. Been a diehard Jets fan since attending his first game at 15.

I thought Ed actually came off pretty well.

And I like Joe, but he came off today as a old, grouchy, bitter Jets fan.

Not that it's important.

Just thought it was funny.

Yeah well Beningno can be a bit creepy sometimes.

Ed never claimed to be the originator of J>E>T>S chant? So.......

I remember a guy with a green wig at Shea going around the upperdeck rim and leading the chant for each section. He might be the originator.

Dont understand the hate for Ed.

Most fans have a few teams they liked as a kid.

My old man is a Giants fan so I watched them until I developed my Jet addiction in the late 60's

Pretty funny 15 minutes ... Beningo slamming Fireman Ed as a phony on his show today. Said he heard Ed was, at one time, a Dolphin fan ... also beating up because Ed was not the "original" J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets, guy. Also had a problem with him Fireman Ed not coming out and criticizing the Jets over the years when they deserved it.

Fireman Ed calls in to defend himself. Said he was too young to remember the '69 Super Bowl. He said, like many other kids in the '70's, he liked the Dolphins and the Cowboys when he was 9 years old because they won and were always on TV. Been a diehard Jets fan since attending his first game at 15.

I thought Ed actually came off pretty well.

And I like Joe, but he came off today as a old, grouchy, bitter Jets fan.

Not that it's important.

Just thought it was funny.

When I was growing up I liked the Cowboys, but then again I had no idea what the hell I was watching. In '86 I jumped on the Jets/Giants superbowl talk frenzy and became a Jet fan. If I knew I would have 20 something years of pain I would have went with the Giants, but hey, no regrets.

My point is Beningo is a dumb ass for bringing up that Fireman Ed liked the Fins. When you're a kid you gravitate to the teams that win )which at the time was the Cowboys, 49'ers, Dolphins) or the teams your family likes.

Why do these press guys always have to look for an angle? It's bad enough they do it with the players, now they are going to question a fans loyalty? In the words of the great Bart Scott...HOW DARE YOU?!

I liked the Raiders in the early 70s -- like when I was 10 - they always seemed to be on

and Benningo is always grumpy -

LOVED watching the old Raiders...and KC.

GREAT great games, Lamonica to Wells, Biletnikoff

What a shame where those historically great franchises are now.

I broke away from rooting for the Giants / NFL.

Didnt like the status quo.

AFL was not using racial quotas like alot of NFL teams did and they were activley scouting small black schools.

Captured me and alot of the young fans at the time by being progressive.

Then of course .............JWN!

I was just coming on to post this-

He was a Dolphin fan until 65 and then jumped ship when the dynasty broke up.

Not a big deal, but I'd rather a Jet fan from top to bottom have that game ball.

I hear you. Good point. I don't know if this is true, but I have heard that Ed is on the Jets payroll. They give him airfare, put him up at hotels and give him tickets to away games. I don't think the Jets did for fan relations as much as a marketing/publicity stunt to make the fans think we are very important to them. in another words to sell this years tickets and next years PSL

I imagine that I'm like many of you. I was a Raiders fan as a kid, because that was my Pop Warner team.

And I was a Steeler fan until about 8-10 yrs old.

Unless your father is a die hard football fan (my father wasn't--being from PR his 2 loves was baseball & boxing), chances are you're going to root for different teams as a late teen/adult than as a kid.

I gravitated to the team (Steelers) that kicked my older brother's favorite team (the Cowboys).

Unless your father is a die hard football fan (my father wasn't--being from PR his 2 loves was baseball & boxing), chances are you're going to root for different teams as a late teen/adult than as a kid.

I gravitated to the team (Steelers) that kicked my older brother's favorite team (the Cowboys).

My Dad took me to almost every home game from 8 on, so I've been suffering even as a young lad.

I wouldn't trade the memories for any other teams, a SB win would've been nice though, lol

The first football game I ever watched was the Jets Browns 86 playoff game I was 7 years old and I rooted for the Jets that day and ever since and never rooted for another team, I hate the Bills Pats Dolphins and Giant fans not the actuall Giants, I never understood this fairweather fan ish. I love the Jets and only the Jets only time I ever root for another team is when I have a benjamin or two on that team. Once a fairweather fan always a fairweather fan and I dont mean the people who switched at 7 or 8 not knowing any better but 15.

I always liked the Jets & Giants until a few years ago. Now I'm just a die-hard, addicted Jets fan. I still pull for the Giants though, but they bore me to tears. I'd rather watch 20 other teams in the league over them.

Going to a Giant home game is like going to the library.

Please don't pull for them...please.

So what about Ed being a fan of a different team when he was young. I was a 49ers fan up until the 1st couple years of going to Jets games and I still root for them. Going to 8 games a year and watching every home game after that has of course made me a die hard Jets fan, which I'm sure Fireman Ed is too. And, I don't ever remember hearing him say he originated the chant. He is however the only one I know that can get an ENTIRE stadium on cue with it.

I remember going to games in the early 90's at Meadowlands sitting behind the endzone in the upper deck. There was a guy with a beard who always wore a Klecko jersey that got the chant going. He also had a whitsle and threw candy around.

Not sure if he started the chant, but he was definitely getting it going around when Ed started gaining popularity.

I havent sat up there in a while, not sure if he's still a round. I'd imagine he's pretty old now.

Going to a Giant home game is like going to the library.

Please don't pull for them...please.

I'm surrounded by Giants fans in my family. I really don't care if they win or lose TBH. I just watch most of their games, and yeah I do pull for them occasionally.

I'm surrounded by Giants fans in my family. I really don't care if they win or lose TBH. I just watch most of their games, and yeah I do pull for them occasionally.

You need to step up to your family and tell them the Giants suck, Eli is a pimply faced geek, and Giant fans are lowest class of NFL fan base. If they kick you out, you can live in a portapottie at Giant Stadium's parking lot.

Me too :bag: My mom is from pittsburg I guess when you are 7 you dont have much of choice in the matter ;). But the Twins in my wife stomach right now will be DIE HARD Jets fan (or hate their old man and root for the pats)

You're right-

I was listening to the fan and that's what they said I thought-

You're 100% right so now I'm confused about the timeline.

Did Ed leave Dolphag fandom in 75 then?

He became a Jet fan in 1975. According to him, he was 15 and attended his first Jet game with his brother at that time.

Ed also stated that he gets nothing from the Jets in terms of dollars.

Being one of the older guys on the site, I remember how it was in those days and I'll say this.

While I have been a Jets fan since the late sixties, I do understand the fact that it was easy for a young kid in the 1970's to root for teams outside of NY, and believe me there were alot of them.

Both the Jets and the Giants were horrible during that decade, and many times did not sell out their stadiums, so the blackout rule was a norm rather than the exception in the '70's. Seeing a Jets or Giants home game on TV was very rare.

As a result, the teams that were always on TV were the good ones (i.e. Cowboys, Redskins, Steelers, Dolphins, Raiders), which is why there are currently so many fans of these teams in this area.

I don't blame Fireman Ed for his allegiances at 10 years old. In fact, I give him credit for leaving a perennial good team for a team that was at it's historical lowpoint in terms of success. In fact, the Jets were downright embarassing in those years (i.e. Charlie Winner, Lou Holtz, etc...) until Walt Michaels came in later.

By the time he was 15, Fireman Ed bled "green and white" and that's good enough for me.

Joe Benigno criticizing Fireman Ed is pretty comical. Joe shouldnt talk, this guy as a diehard Mets fan admitted freely many times that he rooted for the Yankees to beat the Braves in te 96 World Series. What a joke.

As a Mets fan, I also hated the Braves more than the Yankees in 1996... their fans hadn't nearly reached their current level of obnoxiousness and the Braves were a divisional rival - though not so much of a "rival", as they flat-out owned us.

Archived