Can You Name the Other Mexican-American QBS in the NFL?

73andMe

Our talented rookie Mark Sanchez isn't the only Mexican-American QB in the NFL.

At least three (3) others currently playing are also of Mexican heritage (one or both parents): Tony Romo, Jeff Garcia and Marc Bulger

Three Mexican-American QBs from the past are Tom Flores, Joe Kapp and Jim Plunkett (who was also head coach of the Raiders). Plunkett and Flores won Super Bowls or in Flores case the "then" equivalent.

Makes for great bar trivia, etc. Did I miss anyone?

Source: Wikipedia

At least three (3) others currently playing are also of Mexican heritage (one or both parents): Tony Romo, Jeff Garcia and Marc Bulger

Three Mexican-American QBs from the past are Tom Flores, Joe Kapp and Jim Plunkett (who was also head coach of the Raiders). Plunkett and Flores won Super Bowls or in Flores case the "then" equivalent.

Actually Flores was the head coach of the Raiders and Plunkett was his QB.

I believe Joe Kapp was Native American, not Mexican.

Actually Flores was the head coach of the Raiders and Plunkett was his QB.

Biography

[edit] Football player

Flores graduated from the University of the Pacific in 1958, but was unable to find a job in professional football. He was cut by the Calgary Stampeders of the CFL in 1958, and then by the Washington Redskins of the National Football League (NFL) in 1959. In 1960 Flores finally landed a position as a quarterback with the American Football League's Oakland Raiders, who began play in 1960 as a charter member of the league. Flores became the first Hispanic quarterback in American professional football. He became the Raiders' starting quarterback early in the 1960 season.

Flores had his most productive season in 1966. Although he completed only 49.3 percent of his attempts, he passed for 2,638 yards and 24 touchdowns in 14 games. Oakland traded him to the Buffalo Bills in 1967. After serving primarily as a backup, he was released by the Bills and in 1969 signed with the Kansas City Chiefs, where he was backup to Len Dawson on the Chiefs' World Championship team. He retired as a player after the 1970 season. He was one of only twenty players who were with the AFL for its entire ten-year existence. He is the fifth-leading passer, all-time, in the AFL.

Biography

[edit] Football player

Flores graduated from the University of the Pacific in 1958, but was unable to find a job in professional football. He was cut by the Calgary Stampeders of the CFL in 1958, and then by the Washington Redskins of the National Football League (NFL) in 1959. In 1960 Flores finally landed a position as a quarterback with the American Football League's Oakland Raiders, who began play in 1960 as a charter member of the league. Flores became the first Hispanic quarterback in American professional football. He became the Raiders' starting quarterback early in the 1960 season.

Flores had his most productive season in 1966. Although he completed only 49.3 percent of his attempts, he passed for 2,638 yards and 24 touchdowns in 14 games. Oakland traded him to the Buffalo Bills in 1967. After serving primarily as a backup, he was released by the Bills and in 1969 signed with the Kansas City Chiefs, where he was backup to Len Dawson on the Chiefs' World Championship team. He retired as a player after the 1970 season. He was one of only twenty players who were with the AFL for its entire ten-year existence. He is the fifth-leading passer, all-time, in the AFL.

I know Flores was a QB, 73 and Me's post made it seem that Plunkett coached the Raiders.

I remember reading before the draft that there were the 3 QB's in the NFL with Mexican heritage (other than Sanchez):

Jeff Garcia, JP Losman, and Tony Romo

Don't remember seeing anything about Bulger...

well that must make 4 then....unless the OP is wrong with bulger being mexican. oh yeah losman is gone.

Sorry folks, I meant t say that Tom Flores was Head Coach of the Raiders, not Plunkett who was a QB under Flores. I put that info in the wrong place on the post and stand corrected. YES, Marc Bulger is listed with Mexican-American sports people on Wikipedia. I was surprised myself. Check it out!

Sorry folks, I meant t say that Tom Flores was Head Coach of the Raiders, not Plunkett who was a QB under Flores. I put that info in the wrong place on the post and stand corrected. YES, Marc Bulger is listed with Mexican-American sports people on Wikipedia. I was surprised myself. Check it out!

I'm not doubting you on Bulger... I'm surprised that a national media outlet would run a piece on Mexican-American QB's that omitted one as prominent as Bulger, who had been his team's starting QB for over 5 years.

That REALLY surprises me. Not doubting you at all but I wonder if Wikipedia has it right .

If you play Bar Trivia check out www.NationalTrivia.com they run a game in 50 venues in New Jersey! Mark Sanchez was the answer to this week's first sports question Name the only QB to start 3-0 in his first three NFL Games as a rookie. Another one from this week i liked, name the only NFC team to win the Super Bowl in Miami Florida, The 49ers are the team, there have been 5 super bowls and only 1 NFC winner.

Archived