Breaking Down the Jets vs the Saints

jason423

Awesome as always, Jason.

I've been thinking about the Jets running problems. I think we should put Jenkins in as a FB on one critical 3rd down play. If Vilma gets in his way, it should be good for a few laughs.

Seriously though, I think that's the most critical matchup this week. I'm worried about our inability to run between the tackles and this week it's going to bite us on the ass hard if we don't fix it.

Great read as usual. If you love Football, you gotta be excited about this match up. Even if your not a Jets or Saints fan. This really should be a prime time game.

Great offense vs. Great defense. Over achiever vs. a team with HUGE expectations. Two undefeated teams.

Going to be a great match up. The key to this game is field position and long drives on offense. We need to keep Brees on the sidelines as often as we can.

We need to big days from our ST's and our Oline. And I really hope Strickland and Sheppard can go Sunday.

This doesnt look like a good match up for the Jets. Dont see us winning this game, but then again, I've predicted a loss every week and look at us now. :yahoo:

I've been thinking about the Jets running problems. I think we should put Jenkins in as a FB on one critical 3rd down play. If Vilma gets in his way, it should be good for a few laughs.

Seriously tough, I think that's the most critical matchup this week. I'm worried about our inability to run between the tackles and this week it's going to bite us on the ass hard if we don't fix it.

Taking one from the 85 Bears playbook-

The Fridge rushing was classic!

Seriously tough, I think that's the most critical matchup this week. I'm worried about our inability to run between the tackles and this week it's going to bite us on the ass hard if we don't fix it.

Dude, Rex's father was on the team that deployed The Fridge as a FB....lets do it!!!

It would be greatly to the NFL's benefit to flex the schedule from week two or three so we don't have to watch the Dolphins and the Colts? This is clearly one of the two best games this weekend, and for me clearly the best. That being said, I believe our Oline will have to carry TJones over the scrimmage mark and into positive yards. And while it is true that the Saints high scoring offense hasn't been contained in some time if you look at their schedule the teams they've played have had mediocre to sh***ty defenses for the most part. And they haven't faced a defense like ours which is most closely represented by the Ravens since 2006 when Baltimore beat them 35 to 22. The Saints could not run the ball and Brees was forced to throw so often that he threw away as many picks as he did touchdowns. So while we have seen offense like the Saints, alla the 2007 Pats, they really haven't seen anything like the 2009 Jets since one game in 2006. If you look at the 2009 games played thus far we have certainly had the tougher road to 3 and 0, and I think this will help us as the Saints may be used to playing against extremely soft teams.

One glaring problem that we have all touched on is our running game. It seems as we can't pick up a first unless we pass it. I think while we will be asking for more from Sanchez then we have we will also have to give him more. The run game has to establish itself, the special teams will have to give us field position. We all saw the first quater last week and if we can give Sanchez looks in the redzone he will convert for the TD. Our redzone performance has been phenomenal and I expect the Saints to have to kick a lot more field goals then they're used to when the Jets stuff their rushing attack

The Jets' pass rush has done well so far chasing QB's out of the pocket, against Brees the goal should be to keep him contained in a shrinking pocket and take away any passing lanes the diminutive QB has to throw. Brees can beat those overloads to one side by running into the clear and throwing to single coverage. They really need containment from both sides consistently. Hear me, Vernon? That goes for Ellis, Thomas, and whoever else they throw in there as well.

The Jets will almost certainly force the issue with the running game on offense yet again. I'd like to see Schotty make more of an effort to get the team some 2nd & shorts with play action and quick passes. I won't hold my breath, though. I have a feeling they'll be thinking about time of possession from the opening kickoff. Unlike our last two coaches, though, I have some hope that Rex will break free from that obvious mold.

If the Saints do what the Saints do and score a lot of points, we may get to see David Clowney attempt to do what he does in the summertime.

We may need to give Lowery the start at CB this week; he's the only corner other than Revis that can handle Devery Henderson's speed, and Revis will be on Colston in all liklihood.

Sheppard, if healthy, should take Meachem, with Strickland, if healthy, coming off the bench and/or helping stop the NO running game.

The Jets' pass rush has done well so far chasing QB's out of the pocket, against Brees the goal should be to keep him contained in a shrinking pocket and take away any passing lanes the diminutive QB has to throw. Brees can beat those overloads to one side by running into the clear and throwing to single coverage. They really need containment from both sides consistently. Hear me, Vernon? That goes for Ellis, Thomas, and whoever else they throw in there as well.

The Jets will almost certainly force the issue with the running game on offense yet again. I'd like to see Schotty make more of an effort to get the team some 2nd & shorts with play action and quick passes. I won't hold my breath, though. I have a feeling they'll be thinking about time of possession from the opening kickoff. Unlike our last two coaches, though, I have some hope that Rex will break free from that obvious mold.

If the Saints do what the Saints do and score a lot of points, we may get to see David Clowney attempt to do what he does in the summertime.

Thats a good point about the passing lanes, which is what Brees shoots everything through. Hes one of those guys where if you clog those windows and put your arms in the air he has a much harder time finding guys. If there was a game for Gholston to just use his bullrush to just occupy a ton of space this would be the one. He may not get a sack but at least that covers an area where Brees might want to go.

We may need to give Lowery the start at CB this week; he's the only corner other than Revis that can handle Devery Henderson's speed, and Revis will be on Colston in all liklihood.

Sheppard, if healthy, should take Meachem, with Strickland, if healthy, coming off the bench and/or helping stop the NO running game.

Lowery's slow as hell. We'd be better off putting Clowney at CB...

Half kidding.

Lowery's slow as hell. We'd be better off putting Clowney at CB...

Half kidding.

Lowery might be the worst corner in the entire league on vertical routes. He's decent against bigger receivers, which is an area of relative weakness for Revis, so he should probably be on Colston while Revis and Sheppard cover the deep threats.

Everyone has a plan 'til they get punched in the mouth.

Everyone loves this quote, but the problem comes in the fact that every so often, the bully hits someone in the mouth that isn't afraid to hit back, is playing for something, and/or knows how to keep their head about them. However, the good thing is that this doesn't happen very often in contact sports when it comes to fighting bullies (especially boxing and football), and it already happened to us last week against Tennessee. I'm in the firm belief as well that we're playing with house money, but the likelihood of it happening two fights in a row isn't very high.

There were whispers that last season the Jets rushing attack was productive because they were a heavy pass offense and the run simply caught defenses looking for the pass. With the Jets looking more balanced this year there may be some credibility to that thought. If they cant get the run going it will put tremendous pressure on their young QB to carry the team.

I think this is very true, the first 2/3's of last season teams seemed to key on pass and TJ and company gouged them for yards in 7 man fronts. Later in the season after Favre could not throw I feel like the running game suffered. (I have no stats to back this up, and the end of the season was a complete mess anyway)

This year with a rookie QB and (alleged) lack of a number 1 reciever the in the first three games D's seemed to be keying on stopping the run with 8 man fronts. Though we don't have the three wide recievers to run a spread, and running will remain important to this team, I just would like to see us use the play action pass in running downs and out of running formations more often.

I don't think we have done a good enough job in keeping defenses off balance and at times have telegraphed Jones between the tackles daring teams to stuff it...which they have. I also think running play action on 1st and 10 is less pressure on a young QB than throwing out of the shot gun on 3rd and 8.

To me a QB carrying a team is what Brees or P. Manning does, coming out in spread formations and looking to pick you apart down field, I don't think we should do this with Sanchez (yet) But asking him to run a few more play action, possesion oriented short passes (say 5 a game in place of runs up the middle) could help open up some running lanes, build confidence between QB and recievers, and earn a few more first downs and offensive oppurtunties to run those TJ pound it up tghe middle plays with success. In the first three games we proved we are committed to the run, I expect the Saints to gear up to stop it, I would like to see us cross them up a little bit early and then start to pound the balland see if the running lanes are there.

Archived