David Clowney Better Watch His Azz...

SoFlaJets

Revenge, Twitter, injuries, etc.

We spoke to Saints S Darren Sharper this afternoon on the conference call (after being dissed by Drew Brees and what seemed like half the Saints' team), and he said ex-Jets LB Jonathan Vilma is quite eager to play his former team Sunday in the Dome.

"Someone's garbage is another person's treasure, and we feel like JV is a treasure for us," Sharper said. "I know he's going to have extra incentive and extra motivation to play against the team that drafted him. He's definitely looking forward to the game."

Vilma was a bad fit in Eric Mangini's 3-4 scheme. The Saints are a 4-3 team, but they're capable of anything under new coordinator Gregg Williams, who last week went to a 3-4 almost exclusively against the Bills.

Should the Jets be worried about the health of their secondary? Uh, yeah, considering they face Drew Brees & Co.

Three of the top five DBs didn't practice today -- CB Lito Sheppard (quad), S Jim Leonhard (knee) and Donald Strickland (ankle). Two others, S Kerry Rhodes (knee) and CB Darrelle Revis (hamstring), were limited in practice.

Leonhard, Revis and Rhodes are expected to play, according to Rex Ryan, but he was non-committal on Sheppard and Strickland. Ryan said he's hopeful that Sheppard and Strickland can practice this week, but he also didn't rule out the possbility of signing ex-Raven Corey Ivy.

"With all those DBs on the report, you would think I would feel nervous, but we're only playing New Orleans, so I'm not really worried about having to cover anybody with Drew Brees and somebody right there," Ryan said. "I can just see the headline: 'Ryan Slams Brees.'"

Ryan catches on quickly; he's already thinking like a tabloid editor.

This whole David Clowney/Twitter episode is a bit perplexing. On Monday, Ryan said he deactivated Clowney because the seldom-used receiver tweeted after the Patriots' win that he was "disappointed" with his playing time. Naturally, that made headlines in Tuesday's papers, two days after the Jets beat the Titans.

Clowney, commenting on it for the first time, called it a "minor misunderstanding" because Ryan only received "half the message" on Twitter. Indeed, Clowney followed that first Tweet with another message, saying he was happy about the team's victory and wasn't concerned with individual things such as playing time.

Clowney said he and Ryan talked about it a couple of days before the Titans game. If that's so, why did Ryan deactivate him? Well, Ryan expanded on his explanation for the benching, saying today that Clowney's performance in practice had slipped. So why didn't he say that on Monday?

Weird.

"I don't feel I did anything wrong," Clowney said. "(Ryan) put his message across and I learned from it. He understood where I was coming from. He learned from it, too, as far as not getting the message ... Somebody only gave him half the message."

Clowney insisted he wasn't mad at Ryan for the decision. Clowney said he wasn't fined (that would've been a Mangini-like move) and he expect to dress Sunday in New Orleans.

Mark Sanchez, who fumbled twice on Sunday, said ball security is a "huge emphasis" this week in practice. If he holds the ball with only one hand and fumbles in practice, he has to run a penalty lap, another Mangini deal.

No penalty laps today, he said.

Special teamer Larry Izzo (hamstring) didn't practice ... OT Wayne Hunter was excused for personal reasons ... That knee tendinitis must be getting a whole lot better because Sanchez no longer appears on the injury report.

Archived