The better Rookie: Mark Sanchez or Eli Manning?

cferraro

I would like to see Mark Sanchez finish the season before I start comparing his season to other QB's rookie seasons.

That said, Sanchez is probably one of the most polished rookie QB's I have ever seen, let hope he keeps it up and improves.

We can't compare Eli's 1st season to Sanchez's 1st 3 games. It's a disparate information pool and unfair to both. Let's compare their 1st 3 games:

Eli in his 1st 3 games was 35/83 (42%) for 423 yards, 1 TD, 4 INTs, and a 42.3 QB Rating.

Sanchez in 3 games is 49/83 (59%) for 606 yards, 4 TDs, 2 INTs and 87.7 QB Rating.

EDIT: Corrected Eli's rating per Bergen's formula.

Why don't you compare Dirty to the rookie seasons of Aikman or Peyton Manning...it just doesn't mean anything. Some guys come out fast and die off, others start slow and build, while others start fast and continue to grow. We won't know anything about Sanchez for sure until he actually does it.

I would like to see Mark Sanchez finish the season before I start comparing his season to other QB's rookie seasons.

That said, Sanchez is probably one of the most polished rookie QB's I have ever seen, let hope he keeps it up and improves.

His being so polished in itself is a very major issue.

Coming out, not to many people questioned that he had the skills to make it as an NFL QB. The big rap on him was that he only had 16 NCAA starts and that it would take him 2 years to get up to speed as an NFL QB.

Note, Matt Ryan (statistically) had the best season in the SB era of any starting rookie QB.

Ryan, in his 1st 3 games was 34/64 (53%) for 511 yards, 2 TDs, 2 INTs, and a 77.7 QB Rating

EDIT: Corrected the QB rating error so the nerds like CTM, Neckdemon & BergenJet can get off my ass. :D

This is not even close to a fair comparisson that Giant team was so bad everywhere else not just with Eli. This Jet team is so talented everywhere else that we would still win 8-10 games if sanchez sucked very comparable to Flacco and the Ravens last year.

This is not even close to a fair comparisson that Giant team was so bad everywhere else not just with Eli. This Jet team is so talented everywhere else that we would still win 8-10 games if sanchez sucked very comparable to Flacco and the Ravens last year.

Yeah but Eli Sucked, haha-

I know what your saying, but they weren't too far off. I think Shockey leaving was the best thing ever to happen to Eli.

Why don't you compare Dirty to the rookie seasons of Aikman or Peyton Manning...it just doesn't mean anything. Some guys come out fast and die off, others start slow and build, while others start fast and continue to grow. We won't know anything about Sanchez for sure until he actually does it.

Hey, I didn't compare anything. I just asked a question to see what people thought of the young lad. Do we think he has the potential to be the superior QB in the NY market, and do we think he has the potential to be a SB QB?

I may not mean anything, but it is always good for discussion.

Mark has done everything we could have asked for and more, thus far. He hasn't lost us any games like some rookies might in his shoes (even with the talent around him), and he even helped lead us to "comeback" victories in his last two games.

Even if you had told me before the season how the rest of the team would be playing, isolating Sanchez, 3-0 still would not have been in the cards in my view. The lack of a consistent running game and a rookie behind center should have put us at 1-2 or 2-1 at best.

No way we beat New England and Tennessee without Sanchez playing beyond his years. Where he may end up is anyone's guess, but the first 3 weeks of the 21-year old's career have blown me away.

I love Sanchez. I'm as excited about him as the next guy. He's playing better than I've ever seen a rookie QB play to this point in time. But it's really early, still. The fact that he's doing it against some good competition is encouraging. But in my eyes, that's only part of the picture.

If Sanchez is going to be the first ballot hall of famer that we're dreaming of here (and yes, I'm including myself in here), then he's going to have to take over the Meadowlands and have teams as frightened to face him here as Brett Favre was scary in Lambeau back in the day. The two wins he has here already are a good start, but I'm talking about winning here in December and January - when it really counts. Mark hasn't played in those kinds of conditions yet, and if all goes well he'll be baptized into them on the pro level with the games having serious implications.

And if I'm gonna be all honest and objective and stuff, then I'd have to say that the Titan game was not encouraging. A little cooler weather, a little bit of rain, and he was fumbling the ball, and it was coming out of his hand poorly on a couple throws. He did get it together in the end, and to his credit that's what matters most - but that was a very small taste of what he'll face here later in the year. He needs to not only overcome the weather, but master it. He needs to be able to win at home, and at places like Foxboro, Buffalo (yeah they suck today, but they are a division foe), Pittsburgh, etc., in the cold, freezing rain, and snow.

I'm still psyched about the kid, I'm just saying it's way too early to judge. Lets see what the weather brings.

I love Sanchez. I'm as excited about him as the next guy. He's playing better than I've ever seen a rookie QB play to this point in time. But it's really early, still. The fact that he's doing it against some good competition is encouraging. But in my eyes, that's only part of the picture.

If Sanchez is going to be the first ballot hall of famer that we're dreaming of here (and yes, I'm including myself in here), then he's going to have to take over the Meadowlands and have teams as frightened to face him here as Brett Favre was scary in Lambeau back in the day. The two wins he has here already are a good start, but I'm talking about winning here in December and January - when it really counts. Mark hasn't played in those kinds of conditions yet, and if all goes well he'll be baptized into them on the pro level with the games having serious implications.

And if I'm gonna be all honest and objective and stuff, then I'd have to say that the Titan game was not encouraging. A little cooler weather, a little bit of rain, and he was fumbling the ball, and it was coming out of his hand poorly on a couple throws. He did get it together in the end, and to his credit that's what matters most - but that was a very small taste of what he'll face here later in the year. He needs to not only overcome the weather, but master it. He needs to be able to win at home, and at places like Foxboro, Buffalo (yeah they suck today, but they are a division foe), Pittsburgh, etc., in the cold, freezing rain, and snow.

I'm still psyched about the kid, I'm just saying it's way too early to judge. Lets see what the weather brings.

Cautious optimism is the way to go.

As far as the Titans game is concerned, I like the way he started and ended the game. The middle was shaky but you've got to expect some rough moments with a rookie QB.

That being said, the most encouraging thing to me about Sanchez so far is that he never seems to make the same mistake twice.

Cautious optimism is the way to go.

As far as the Titans game is concerned, I like the way he started and ended the game. The middle was shaky but you've got to expect some rough moments with a rookie QB.

That being said, the most encouraging thing to me about Sanchez so far is that he never seems to make the same mistake twice.

Gotta agree with that assessment.

Also, the guy shows alot of confidence without being overly ****y and his teamates seem to genuinely like the guy.

(Bulldozing your way into the endzone headfirst will get you your teams respect quick!)

Sanchez is doing great. But, I agree. Lets see the whole season first. I am so happy he's a Jet, right now. But what if the dude chucks3 int's a game and we lose out the rest of the year. We won't be singing his or Ryan's praises. Lets root our team on and be happy they are doing well. Let not anoint Sanchez or Ryan as the next coming off Marino and Shula.

Gotta agree with that assessment.

Also, the guy shows alot of confidence without being overly ****y and his teamates seem to genuinely like the guy.

(Bulldozing your way into the endzone headfirst will get you your teams respect quick!)

I loved when Cotchery described him as being "goofy" in the huddle. He seems like he's just a big kid with a great head on his shoulders.

No doubt the kid has those elusive intangibles coming out of his ass. He's smart, he's hardworking, he loves the game, and he has that natural leadership and charisma that can really separate the men from the boys in this league.

Certainly no JN mod would throw him out of bed.

Note, Matt Ryan (statistically) had the best season in the SB era of any starting rookie QB.

Ryan, in his 1st 3 games was 34/64 (53%) for 511 yards, 2 TDs, 2 INTs, and a 95.7 QB Rating

Note, Ryan's QB rating is so high because he had 2 outstanding games and 1 awful game in his 1st 3.

idk how you got a 95.7 qb rating with this. i got a 77.0.

Great post. :)

Eli was horrid in his first years and couldn't complete balls for anything. Then Eli relied on Tiki Barber and the running attack to move the ball down the field.

Although Sanchez has the same formula (great o-line, great running attack) he's shown to make the throws esp on 3rd downs that blow his play outta the water in comparison

You took the words right out of my mouth. Re-post this in February.

Sanchez and its not even close. For a three game stint Sanchez has been the best rookie QB in a very very very long time. Im not sure how it will end up at seasons end, but right now he is going to win almost any comparison you can throw out there.

I agree, its way to early to compare him to other QB's but so far he is looking fine, fine, fine!

Eli sucked his first year, there is no comparison in my eyes.

I think Eli is overrated up to this point, all though he has looked impressive at times this season.

Sanchize is way smoother then Eli, even to this day Eli still looks like a deer in headlights out there.

eli is 44-23 since that awful rookie season in 2004

over rated? ok...

Originally Posted by Stonehands viewpost.gif

You took the words right out of my mouth. Re-post this in February.

This thread is premature.

Honestly, most of the threads on this site are premature. Just a few examples:

Am I Alone In This Thinking? (8-1 or 9-0 going into Foxborough)

Projecting the future of the 2009 NY Jets Roster

If (when) we go 4-0

If we go 7-1 into the bye week...

Jets Defense vs. Drew Breesus - Prediction Thread

How are these different???

Anyway, I'm not sure if everyone read the question clearly so I will ask it again

Based on what we have seen of Sanchez so far and what we already know of Eli, does Sanchez show the potential to be not only the better NY Quarterback, but also an inevitable SB QB?

I just threw the stats up there for shi*ts and giggles. I'll be sure to mark my calender to make sure I post this thread again in February.

:sarc:

Sanchez and its not even close. For a three game stint Sanchez has been the best rookie QB in a very very very long time. Im not sure how it will end up at seasons end, but right now he is going to win almost any comparison you can throw out there.

Since Marino I reckon.. but lets see what happens.. his best game was his first game..

i know how it works but i just used a qb rating calculator. you can find them using google.

compare comp %, ypa, td and int to the average season in 1970, convert to a number between 0-2.375 (0 for garbage, 1 for matching the 1970 average, 2 for matching the record circa 1970), these numbers are added together, times by 100 and divided by 6.. so 1's across the board, an exactly average performance by 1970 standards is a 66.7, 2's across the board, which would be equaling 1970 league records across the board would be 133, and the perfect score is 158.3, which would be record breaking performances across the board..

I know this because a few years ago i recalced every QB's ratings for a few years based on the current years averages and records up to that year.. Just to better compare apples and oranges..

compare comp %, ypa, td and int to the average season in 1970, convert to a number between 0-2.375 (0 for garbage, 1 for matching the 1970 average, 2 for matching the record circa 1970), these numbers are added together, times by 100 and divided by 6.. so 1's across the board, an exactly average performance by 1970 standards is a 66.7, 2's across the board, which would be equaling 1970 league records across the board would be 133, and the perfect score is 158.3, which would be record breaking performances across the board..

I know this because a few years ago i recalced every QB's ratings for a few years based on the current years averages and records up to that year.. Just to better compare apples and oranges..

I'm pretty sure you can a t-shirt with this online...

37631932_400x400_Front.jpg

Archived