Gholston, our favorite 1st rounder

BornJetsFan1983

Guys I'm really impressed that he has actually turned into a decent player this year, I know its all situational and everything, but last year his best situation was on the bench. It took one hell of a head coach and his staff to get through, but he really is playing well.

I can't believe it, i thought the guy was a bust in every sense of the word. This week against NO we are going to be Blitz happy and I think especially with the injuries on NO Line that once again Gholston is going to have a solid day.

Seriously right now is the best I have have ever seen the Jets play on D, and I can remember the last time I was feeling this good about the Green and White.

Oh wait it was last year after Tenn, whatever...GO JETS!!!!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not tooting my own horn, but last year I said that the best thing about him not necessarily being a started didn't mean that he wasn't deserving of the #6 pick overall, but moreso towards the fact that he can learn. No one taught him anything last year whatsoever, and it showed.

Then, Ryan came in and just (even been on Jetnation tv series from camp highlights), Ryan just told him to go get the quarterback. He's getting more and more physical each week, and whether people here in this forum will recognize anything positive that he does, he is doing just that, contributing in tangible and intangible ways, tangible being tackles, and intangibles meaning re-shaping the pocket and absorbing double-teams, which really happens to him a lot.

I see a bright future for this young young football player (only started in his Soph. year of HS, if i remember correctly, maybe it was even as a junior). The ceiling is high, and with Pace, Scott, Harris....we don't even need him to be the All Time Sack Leader that everyone apparently expected when we chose him at #6.

Good Post, Good Assessments and even Better Optimism.

GO JETS!!!!!!!

Guys I'm really impressed that he has actually turned into a decent player this year, I know its all situational and everything, but last year his best situation was on the bench. It took one hell of a head coach and his staff to get through, but he really is playing well.

I can't believe it, i thought the guy was a bust in every sense of the word. This week against NO we are going to be Blitz happy and I think especially with the injuries on NO Line that once again Gholston is going to have a solid day.

Seriously right now is the best I have have ever seen the Jets play on D, and I can remember the last time I was feeling this good about the Green and White.

Oh wait it was last year after Tenn, whatever...GO JETS!!!!

Good post. I know many of us (me included) are very critical of Gholston and think so far he is a bust. I have to say though that if any coach can turn this kid around its Rex. There has been no doubt the dude has the physical ability to hurt people. He's fast, he's huge, and he can be aggressive. A lot of the issue with him I think is confidence and the fact that the previous regime did not develop his raw talent. I think we also forget that Gholston only played 2 seasons at Ohio State as DL and not at LB. Rome wasn

hes between terrible and great right now but he's got physical gifts you can't coach... why he went that high... game balls are earned not given out

hopefully he's maturing as a player and he pays off... that was arguably a game saving plsy by VG last week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y5hjGfB1bM

Gholston fought a double, forced the play out side, the Jets defensive backfield was on their ass, somehow he runs down Chris Johnson with a full head of steam... if Gholston doesn't make this tackle, no one does.

It is yet to been seen if Gholston is the result of a bad football player or bad coaching (mangini) The future will tell... I just think he's dumb and can't grasp the defense and different looks offenses give. He certainty has the physical ability, just not the brain capacity.

hes between terrible and great right now but he's got physical gifts you can't coach... why he went that high... game balls are earned not given out

hopefully he's maturing as a player and he pays off... that was arguably a game saving plsy by VG last week.

Gholston fought a double, forced the play out side, the Jets defensive backfield was on their ass, somehow he runs down Chris Johnson with a full head of steam... if Gholston doesn't make this tackle, no one does.

Still hadn't seen the replay of that. Nuts how he stands both guys up with his hands.

Gholston is terrible

So are you broke up and beaten to the point of no return with this guy? If he shows some life on Sunday do you still count him out? Personally, I'm trying to stay positive about this him. I know it wouldn't be the first 1st round pick the Jets have wasted, but I really hope that is not the case. I am praying that Rex can get through to this kid.

At least he used his speed on that play. He had a play like that against Flacco and didn't even get out of first gear when he was chasing him. That was much better but he didn't force the play to the outside it's the ILB that did or he would have been block.

Wow, didn't realize that play would have saved a TD. That was sick work by Gholston.

It was good because he has the speed to make plays like that but watch the play again the ILB force CJ to the outside or VG would have been blocked. It easy to get away from a blocker when he is pushing you toward the play.

It was good because he has the speed to make plays like that but watch the play again the ILB force CJ to the outside or VG would have been blocked. It easy to get away from a blocker when he is pushing you toward the play.

There was a player rushing up that got sucked inside. Presumably a safety. I'm guessing it was Smith or Leonhard. I blame him for the big gain moreso than Gholston. He picked the wrong hole, got steamrolled by Gage and had his dying corpse manage to take out Revis. Thank God Hollywood waved at Johnson or he might not have slowed down enough for Gholston to catch up.

There was a player rushing up that got sucked inside. Presumably a safety. I'm guessing it was Smith or Leonhard. I blame him for the big gain moreso than Gholston. He picked the wrong hole, got steamrolled by Gage and had his dying corpse manage to take out Revis. Thank God Hollywood waved at Johnson or he might not have slowed down enough for Gholston to catch up.

The play wasn't designed to go to the outside, CJ went to the outside when I think it was Scott clogged the hole or it would have went inside of VG and he would have been blocked. As I said he did a good job hustling to make the play.

The play wasn't designed to go to the outside, CJ went to the outside when I think it was Scott clogged the hole or it would have went inside of VG and he would have been blocked. As I said he did a good job hustling to make the play.

...but if both DBs didn't get dropped by one WR it probably would not have been successful to the outside either.

...but if both DBs didn't get dropped by one WR it probably would not have been successful to the outside either.

Fair enough, I was quoting Bit's post about VG. He said he fought off two blockers, walked backwards though the snow eight miles and saved a kitten from a burning tree before forcing the play to the outside. I was simply stating he did not force the play to the outside.

Fair enough, I was quoting Bit's post about VG. He said he fought off two blockers, walked backwards though the snow eight miles and saved a kitten from a burning tree before forcing the play to the outside. I was simply stating he did not force the play to the outside.

Yeah. More importantly in my eyes, he didn't force the play inside either. I'd give him a C on the play, but it's still an encouraging play because he didn't give up and used his instinct and athleticism. You can see at the 10 yard mark that Harris is right next to him but ends up 5+ yards behind.

Yeah. More importantly in my eyes, he didn't force the play inside either. I'd give him a C on the play, but it's still an encouraging play because he didn't give up and used his instinct and athleticism. You can see at the 10 yard mark that Harris is right next to him but ends up 5+ yards behind.

When VG wants to he can ****ing fly, the guy is fast as hell for his size. I would have given him a C on that play if it was anyone else but because of the way he has played I'd give him a B+ because he made an effort and used his speed.

From today's NY Post DC Mike Petine basically said Gholston doesnt have any moves and is a stiff that can just occupy.

Pettine said Gholston's "best pass rush is a bull rush," indicating that he doesn't have the quickness and moves to be a strong edge rusher.

"His strength is his strength," Pettine said. "That involves him knocking guys off the ball and taking on two blockers."

Pettine essentially described Gholston as a set-up man, helping others to get to the quarterback, not exactly what you'd expect out of the sixth overall pick in 2008 draft.

From today's NY Post DC Mike Petine basically said Gholston doesnt have any moves and is a stiff that can just occupy.

Im waiting to hear from the Gholston blowers how Pettine doesnt know jack.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/gholston_not_flashy_but_getting_S58bHFXY38pBrHVNsudkkI

20 million dollar no speed set up man.

So the game ball is a "motivational tactic" but we are supposed to take this at face value?

So the game ball is a "motivational tactic" but we are supposed to take this at face value?

Rex is handing out game balls like Ohio St hands out the Buckeye stickers.

I really dont know what you see in Gholston other than slow footed, stiff and runs like he has a load in his pants. His body language is horrible, the only guy on the field hugging his hips after every play like the kid in pop warner with the X on his helmet.

2 coaches, 2 tactics

Ryan put some lipstick on the pig with a pseudo game ball.

Pettine kicks the pig in nuts.

Whatever, he still stinks.

Yes indeed. A real nut kicking.

Pettine said Gholston has "graded out" very well in his games

Pettine explained that Gholston has helped a number of quarterback pressures because he has taken up a couple of blockers and collapsed his side of the line

"His strength is his strength," Pettine said. "That involves him knocking guys off the ball and taking on two blockers"

"Vernon has taken it upon himself to get better and he's done that on the practice field," Pettine said, also indicating that Gholston's solid practices have earned him more snaps.

He was not originally given the game ball, Trusnik was given the game ball. It was given to Gholston after the fact . Now if a game ball is ever awarded to Gholston because he was the best player out there on a given sunday thats when Ill start taking notice. If he played so "good" like some here seem to suggest I think he would have been given the game ball right off the bat and not the 7th choice of the coach .

Im not sure why people think taking on 2 blockers is such a feat. If he took on 2 blockers and made a play at the line of scrimmage I would be gushing as well. At what point you you rewind the game and say wow look at VG taking on 2 blockers with no real result ? The offensive scheme dictated 2 blockers its not like gholston grabbed 2 poeple and dragged them around the field . The way the defense is aligned is how the O-Line responds. A few times Gholston was doubled was because the Jets lined up with 3 pass rushers over the LT creating a total mismatch the RT and TE engaged VG because it was their assignment too do so BTW on the Johnson run he was taking on 1 blocker as I will explain below.

On the Johnson run VG was totally pushed off the LOS Bart Scott ( I think it was Scott) Plugged the hole to the inside and Johnson took it outside. Gholston was actully Blocked by a TE one on one. Scott was blocked by a FB who only had to impead his attack but the problem I had with Vernon on the play was that he was fully engaged with the TE through out the development of the play at the LOS and he could not get off the block until Johnson ran by him. Gholston then pushed off the TE and ran down Johnson from behind who was being slowed by Safety persuit. It was good that he stayed with the play and finally showed some hustle. Thats pretty much how the play developed. It was one of 4 plays where Johnson had big runs aganist us and every single one of those big runs were directly at Vernon Gholston. At some point I would really love to see him Blow up a blocker and make a play just like all soild DE/LB's make. When that day comes I will say he has Improved.

I really want Vernon to do well I want him to destroy TE's Blocking him and chase down QB's but it has not happened yet . In 3 games he has had some decent playing time and as high a profile position as he has been playing you wouldthink at some point he will make a play that makes you say WOW now thats impressive. Im still waiting for that ONE play for 19 games now.

Yes indeed. A real nut kicking.

Pettine said Gholston has "graded out" very well in his games

Pettine explained that Gholston has helped a number of quarterback pressures because he has taken up a couple of blockers and collapsed his side of the line

"His strength is his strength," Pettine said. "That involves him knocking guys off the ball and taking on two blockers"

"Vernon has taken it upon himself to get better and he's done that on the practice field," Pettine said, also indicating that Gholston's solid practices have earned him more snaps.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I added the link so people could read the whole article.

I like how you cherry picked parts of the article. Why not include these parts?:)

- Pettine said Gholston has "graded out" very well in his games, but added, "Vernon is a guy you're not going to see a lot of flash from."

-Pettine said Gholston's "best pass rush is a bull rush," indicating that he doesn't have the quickness and moves to be a strong edge rusher.

-Pettine essentially described Gholston as a set-up man, helping others to get to the quarterback, not exactly what you'd expect out of the sixth overall pick in 2008 draft.

-This week is likely his last as a starter because Calvin Pace will be eligible to return from his four-game suspension next week.

He was not originally given the game ball, Trusnik was given the game ball. It was given to Gholston after the fact . Now if a game ball is ever awarded to Gholston because he was the best player out there on a given sunday thats when Ill start taking notice. If he played so "good" like some here seem to suggest I think he would have been given the game ball right off the bat and not the 7th choice of the coach .

Im not sure why people think taking on 2 blockers is such a feat. If he took on 2 blockers and made a play at the line of scrimmage I would be gushing as well. At what point you you rewind the game and say wow look at VG taking on 2 blockers with no real result ? The offensive scheme dictated 2 blockers its not like gholston grabbed 2 poeple and dragged them around the field . The way the defense is aligned is how the O-Line responds. A few times Gholston was doubled was because the Jets lined up with 3 pass rushers over the LT creating a total mismatch the RT and TE engaged VG because it was their assignment too do so BTW on the Johnson run he was taking on 1 blocker as I will explain below.

On the Johnson run VG was totally pushed off the LOS Bart Scott ( I think it was Scott) Plugged the hole to the inside and Johnson took it outside. Gholston was actully Blocked by a TE one on one. Scott was blocked by a FB who only had to impead his attack but the problem I had with Vernon on the play was that he was fully engaged with the TE through out the development of the play at the LOS and he could not get off the block until Johnson ran by him. Gholston then pushed off the TE and ran down Johnson from behind who was being slowed by Safety persuit. It was good that he stayed with the play and finally showed some hustle. Thats pretty much how the play developed. It was one of 4 plays where Johnson had big runs aganist us and every single one of those big runs were directly at Vernon Gholston. At some point I would really love to see him Blow up a blocker and make a play just like all soild DE/LB's make. When that day comes I will say he has Improved.

I really want Vernon to do well I want him to destroy TE's Blocking him and chase down QB's but it has not happened yet . In 3 games he has had some decent playing time and as high a profile position as he has been playing you wouldthink at some point he will make a play that makes you say WOW now thats impressive. Im still waiting for that ONE play for 19 games now.

I don't agree with some of your analysis of the play, but we are basically in agreement. I don't think it was a great play. The problem is that you are using it as a way to show that he is not playing great and I am using it to show that he is not the worst player on the planet. There is a middle ground and somewhere in there is Vernon Gholston.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I added the link so people could read the whole article.

I like how you cherry picked parts of the article. Why not include these parts?:)

- Pettine said Gholston has "graded out" very well in his games, but added, "Vernon is a guy you're not going to see a lot of flash from."

-Pettine said Gholston's "best pass rush is a bull rush," indicating that he doesn't have the quickness and moves to be a strong edge rusher.

-Pettine essentially described Gholston as a set-up man, helping others to get to the quarterback, not exactly what you'd expect out of the sixth overall pick in 2008 draft.

-This week is likely his last as a starter because Calvin Pace will be eligible to return from his four-game suspension next week.

I cherry picked? Are you ****ing kidding me? You described the article as a "nutkicking" when it was titled Gholston Not Flashy but Getting the Job Done. Give me a break.

I don't agree with some of your analysis of the play, but we are basically in agreement. I don't think it was a great play. The problem is that you are using it as a way to show that he is not playing great and I am using it to show that he is not the worst player on the planet. There is a middle ground and somewhere in there is Vernon Gholston.

I cherry picked? Are you ****ing kidding me? You described the article as a "nutkicking" when it was titled Gholston Not Flashy but Getting the Job Done. Give me a break.

OK yes calling it a nutkicking is overstated but you did only post the positive comments Petine made when in fact he was also being critical.

I mean come on, the DC flat out said he is not fast,doesnt have the speed or moves to be an edge rusher. Isnt that what he was effin drafted for????? If you cannot do what you were drafted and paid a ton for for what exactly does this mean? More motivational crap? Come on say the "B" word, you can do it.:)

I can agree with that # 27 :) . Its obvious I have been overly harsh at times. I would be much more supportive of improvement if I saw the guy diving into piles and tossing blockers around with his strength. I really need to see those things . They would Impress me even more than a sack. I mean one of these days Vernon is going to just destroy a QB and I hope to God he does it by coming off a tough block rather than just getting a free shot on a missed assignment.

I can agree with that # 27 :) . Its obvious I have been overly harsh at times. I would be much more supportive of improvement if I saw the guy diving into piles and tossing blockers around with his strength. I really need to see those things . They would Impress me even more than a sack. I mean one of these days Vernon is going to just destroy a QB and I hope to God he does it by coming off a tough block rather than just getting a free shot on a missed assignment.

I don't know if we'll see those things, but if we do I think he'll be a serious player. I've said it over and over again, that he looks like he is thinking. Bryan Thomas never seemed to play as fast as he timed. Gholston also seems to play slow, but it seems like it's because he doesn't know what to do. That is why some of us get all excited when he makes a "fast" play even when it's not impressive in and of itself - running down Johnson or blowing up Carr uncontested. I saw him play in college and he did not play slow. At least not all the time.

Vernon Gholston is the worst player in NFL history which makes him the worst player in the league. He doesnt deserve to be on an NFL roster and will not be on an NFL roster next season. He is terrible. The biggest bust in NFL history. He is horrible and has shown no improvement from last season when he couldnt even get on the field. Not only can he not play Football to save his life, he has terrible grammar.

The fact that our coaches are recognizing his efforts on the field is obviously a motivation tactic and one that is often used on players in pop-warner. Its juvenile, and quite frankly, I'm offended that our coaching staff is complimenting quite possibly the biggest waste of space to ever put on pads. I mean, who do they think they are trying to tell us fans that a player is playing well when we have experts on JN breaking down his performance only to find out that he is absolutely worthless, has not improved an ounce and is literally the worst player in the history of professional sports.

Good thing we have the experts we do posting on JN who see right through this bull **** and break it down for real for all us simpletons that mearly thought VG played decent and is improving. If it was not for them, we would be taking our coaching staff compliments toward VG seriously and would look like fools for thinking they are telling the truth.

this makes no sense at all

VG held his ground against a double (rt and te) and forced CJ to bounce it.

Eric Smith got creamed by the WR and took out Revis. Rhodes whiffed.

So just to review that's 2 safeties and the cornerback already on the ground.

Gholston got on his horse and chased down a legit 4.27 player... giving 60 pounds... and he made the play.

There was no one else in the area who makes that play. If gholston doesn't make that tackle it's tied at 24 with 10 mins left in the 4th Q.

There is no possible analysis where that was a "C" play or some other mularky. It was an "A" play. Rex Ryan is not a chump, he doesn't hand out game balls like candy. If you get a game ball you've earned a game ball, and yes that even goes for Fireman Ed.

Westerman doesn't have the speed to make that play. Maybe Murrell does, but he lacks the strength to stand up to a double.

It's getting to the point where Gholston's biggest bashers are doing so IN SPITE of evidence to the contrary.

this makes no sense at all

VG held his ground against a double (rt and te) and forced CJ to bounce it.

Eric Smith got creamed by the WR and took out Revis. Rhodes whiffed.

So just to review that's 2 safeties and the cornerback already on the ground.

Gholston got on his horse and chased down a legit 4.27 player... giving 60 pounds... and he made the play.

There was no one else in the area who makes that play. If gholston doesn't make that tackle it's tied at 24 with 10 mins left in the 4th Q.

There is no possible analysis where that was a "C" play or some other mularky. It was an "A" play. Rex Ryan is not a chump, he doesn't hand out game balls like candy. If you get a game ball you've earned a game ball, and yes that even goes for Fireman Ed.

It's getting to the point where Gholston's biggest bashers are doing so IN SPITE of evidence to the contrary.

Straight line, he can run when he gets going. He has zero quickness however.

Archived