Live Chat With Rod Boone

flgreen

11:48

Moderator: Hi Jets fans. The live chat begins at noon.

12:01

[Comment From are-tee]

Good morning, Rod. Do you think playing in the dome gives the Jets an advantage? No wet ball worries for Sanchez this week. His lack of foul-weather experience worries me a bit for the stretch run, though.

12:05

Hey there are-tee: I don't think playing in the dome gives the Jets an advantage at all. If anything, I believe it's puts them at a disadvatage for a couple of reasons. The first is simply that the perfect conditions are exactly what you don't want when you're facing a good passing attack. Secondly, although the Jets opened up in a dome at the Reliant Center in Houston, the atmosphere wasn't as loud after the first quarter because the Jets were dominating and the Texans weren't doing anything. So crowd noise could be a factor for Sanchez and Co.

12:05

[Comment From Guest]

Have the jets brought in any additional defensive backs to address the injuries that have occured of late?

12:07

They took a look at Justin Miller and Corey Ivy last week, but Miller has since been snatched up by the Raiders.

12:07

[Comment From bruce]

Hi the jets seem to be talking up gholston in the papers i dont see him doinf anything.Do you think he is really making progress?

12:09

I guess technically he is making progress -- he's actually on the field this season. I don't see as much progress as I think he probably should have at this point. He still has to get some moves and learn to shed his blockers better. He has a ways to go.

12:09

[Comment From al white]

What's up with the M. Crabtree incident and, as always, any wide reciever help coming before next years draft?

12:12

Hi al. Nothing new on the Crabtree tampering charges. As for wide receiver help coming before the draft, I don't think so. The Jets seem to be happy with what they've got at the moment, especially with Jerricho Cotchery playing so well and showing he can be a No. 1 receiver.

12:12

[Comment From Paul M.]

Hey Rod, 1st thanks for changing the background now I can read it. So what's your take on the game plan for the secondary this week, with Shepard and Strickland out?

12:16

Hey there Paul M. Glad you like the new look, but I had nothing to do with it. Can't take any credit there. My take on the secondary is uh-oh. While Drew Coleman and Dwight Lowery did a good job last week stepping in, the Saints' offense has tons of more talent than the Titans. Perhaps we'll see more of Eric Smith in the secondary. But I'd be a little concerned about going into the Superdome with a banged up secondary.

12:16

[Comment From Matthew]

How much of a help with blasting noise during practice help for the game?

12:21

Hey Matthew: I think it helps somewhat. You can't totally simulate the crowd noise just by pumping in some music. But what it does is it gets you used to not being able to communicate easily on offense. It's hard for wide receivers to hear the screams of the quarterback changing the play at the line of scrimmage. So that's why you start practicing the hand signals and silent count snaps, etc.

12:21

[Comment From Grant]

Do you feel Gholston really deserved a game ball, or was it a more rah-rah pump him up type of deal?

12:23

Grant, I think all you need to know about that is Vernon wasn't originally given a game ball. When Jason Trusnik was named the AFC special teams player of the week, Rex took the game ball away from him since Trusnik was already being recognized for his good game. So that's when the staff decided to give Gholston the game ball. What does that tell you?

12:24

[Comment From Bronx Bomber]

Any word on Shonn Greene?

12:24

[Comment From Grant]

Do we actually see Shonn Greene this week to try and wear down the Saints D?

12:25

I addressed Green's situation in my Chalk Talk in Wednesday's paper. Honestly, I have no idea when he's going to get in. It all depends on when the coaches find the right spot to plug him in there. I thought he would've played by now, but he hasn't.

12:25

[Comment From sfmike]

Hi Rod,always a pleasure hear your take on the games. I'm thinking that this is the week that the running game will show up. Just a hunch. I thinki the the offense will surprise this week. Is it me, or do feel it it too??? Thx,as always.

12:30

sfmike: Thanks for joining us. It's my pleasure as always. I wrote about the run game in today's paper because I think it's going to be imperative for them to get the ground attack on track. If there's ever a week to get the rushing situtaion all ironed out, it's this week. You have to be able to have a balanced attack against the Saints because you would like to conttrol the clock and keep Brees and that offense off the field as much as possible. I think the offensive line will respond. They seem annoyed by all the questions regarding their performance running the ball so far.

12:30

[Comment From reverendbill]

There seems to be this consensous that T.Jones has lost a step getting to the line. Others are suggesting Sanchez could be slow handing off. Your thoughts??

12:34

Hey Rev, I'm not so sure Thomas has lost a step just yet. I think we need more of a sample size before we can make that determination. Sure looked like he didn't lose a step on those 38- and 39-yard runs in the opener. Once he got past the first wave, he was gone. Brian Scottenheimer indicated that Sanchez needs to work some some footwork things when handing the ball off, so he's a small contributor to this situation as well. I think it's a combination of factors that have led to the slow start from the run game.

12:34

[Comment From upstatejetsfan09]

Hi Rod.....I know you were not with the team last year, and the outward , dare I say ****iness is evident, but do you sense a calm, confident, swagger in the coaching staff? Some of who were with Mangini too? When the Titans got the ball back last week, unlike the week before, I was sure they were not going to move down the field on our Defense....Thank you for your work...PS..Do you ever hear from Ira?

12:41

Howdy upstate: I wasn't on the beat last year but was around the team enough. Everyone has confidence on this team. And I do mean everyone, so yes that even includes the coaches. They all take their lead from Rex. Mike Pettine even said yesterday that while some people may be surprised by the 3-0 start, they aren't. The staff felt this team had a good shot back in the spring.

As for hearing from Ira, I have not. We'll have to get him back here ASAP!

12:42

[Comment From Grant]

How has Clowney rebounded this week in practice? Is it true that Rex benched him more for his non-chalance in practice, or was it the tweet?

12:42

[Comment From Paul M.]

Rod, The Clowney benching. I think that was another way of Rex making a statement to the team, your thoughts?

12:45

Grant, the Clowney benching wasn't just because of the Tweet. His practice habits were slacking and Rex just wasn't happy with the direction Clowney was heading. But he reponded with a good week of practice and I can't really tell you how he did this week because the team doesn't do much during our 40-minute window to watch practice.

Paul M: I do believe that was Rex's way of saying that he isn't going to tolerate anyone putting themself before the team. It once again showed that while he is a players' coach, he knows when to put the hammer down.

12:46

[Comment From Dan]

Do you think the offense trys to open up the passing game more, early and often to set up the run?

12:48

Dan, the Jets' opponents are stacking the box, so there isn't as much room to be there as it should be. So yes, they have to come out throwing sometimes just to loosen things up and give T.J. and Leon Washington a shot to get more than 1, 2, or 3 yards a pop. Until they consistently move the ball down the field in the air, teams will stack the line to take the running attack away.

12:49

[Comment From Grant]

I'm curious about Westerman, seemed to be a beast in week 1 and I haven't heard his name since. Did the Titans and Pats just keep him quiet or is he seeing less reps for a reason?

12:51

Grant, Westerman was inactive last week against the Titans, so that's why you didn't see much from him. He wasn't on the field. As for not seeing him do anything against the Pats, remember that the Jets used a host of defensive backs that game to deal with Tom Brady and the Pats' passing game.

12:52

[Comment From sfmike]

Guess I've been drinking trhe kool-aid, but I think the D will, at least, slow the Saints down. Just have to hope that the secondary can hold up. Rod, any chance they sign Ivy before Sunday? Thx

12:55

sfmike: I think the Jets defense can slow the Saints down like the Bills did, but it all depends on how the secondary holds up. That's the biggest question mark going into this weekend. As for signing Ivy, you can never say never with Mike Tannenbaum. I guess it really depends on how badly these injuries turn out to be for Sheppard and Strickland. But remember, the Jets already have to make a roster move on Monday when Calvin Pace returns.

12:55

[Comment From Grant]

Rod do you think its troubling that they get so much pressure and so few sacks, or are quarterbacks weary of the blitz and just throwing it away to avoid the sack?

12:59

Grant, I actually asked Jim Leonhard about the low sack numbers and he said it's no big deal to them. They care about pressures more than sacks and they've obviously done a good job with that. Part of the reason they haven't had as many sacks is because the QBs are so aware of the blitz that they are getting rid of the ball because they see the defenders flying in, ready for the sack. But getting in the QB's head is the first step in having a successful day.

12:59

[Comment From theFinn]

Rod - Is it my imagination, or does it seem that Kerry Rhodes just isn't making the great plays he used to? There was a time when no game would go by w/o a spectacular play by Kerry.

1:00

Hey Finn: I haven't see Kerry do much at all, either. Totally agree with you there. He's getting his tackles here and there, but he hasn't made a play that makes you sit up and take notice.

1:01

[Comment From Grant]

What do you feel that roster move will be?

[Comment From sfmike]

Good point on Pace. Who goes? My thought is Fowler. Thx

Gut feeling says it will be Marquice Cole. They'll put him back on the practice squad.

1:02

Moderator: Thanks all. We appreciate you joining us today.

1:03

Thanks guys for joining us. We'll do it again real soon. Don't forget to follow me at twitter.com/rodboone.

Archived