SJ Reviews: 'Whip It'..Slick teen coming of age film (3)

SouthernJet

'Whip It', is a film that is based on the emergence of female Roller Derby, Austin Texas style. But in reality the Derby is the backdrop to a Teen coming of age flick.

Its Drew Barrymore's directorial debut and she hits a Home Run.

The star, Ellen Page, of Juno fame, again shines and carries the movie. Page is a Texas teen from boonies who is forced into a life of Beauty Pagaents by her Mom, Marcia Gay Harden. Her Mom is basically living her never realized dreams thru Page . Page doesnt fit in and is basically 'not the cool' kid in her High School. Enter her discovery of Roller Derby, and this once cacoon, emerges into her butterfly.

The Derby action is fun, and the fishnet stocking clad, tough as nails Derby girls are a fun part of movie.

This is a fun movie, with some great lessons. A fine film for all ages, but especially IMHO for a parent and teen daughter to see. The cast is stellar; Ellen Page, Marcia Gay Harden, Kristen Wiig, Juliette Lewis, Eve, Jimmy Fallon, Daniel Stern, and Drew Barrymore. Its being well reviewed nationally and it catches you by suprise. Enjoy.

3 stars_002.gif's

WTF SJ, go see Zombieland already. I really don't see how there can be a better movie out right now.

maybe,,not really into teh zombie type flicks,,i get bored after the 50th zombie gets beheaded in minute 10 of film ;)

i even thought shaun of dead somewhat boring...

• 3 months later...

Archived