Receivers: My biggest concern

Maxman

Cotchery has stepped up and I have no doubt he is a # 1. Stuckey has impressed me ast the # 2 even though he hasn't put up huge numbers yet. But I am okay with that combo.

What concerns me?

Everyone behind them. I love that they got Brad Smith involved more today in the wildcat\seminole. But he isn't a # 3. Clowney and Wright aren't receiving much offensive playing time so the Jets don't have confidence in them.

The thought before the year was that Keller would take the pressure off but for whatever reason he hasn't been able to do that.

What if Cotchery gets hurt for a few games? Who will be the leading receiver? They need to do something about this. Go get a veteran. Go get a true slot receiver, but they need to address this...

Cotchery has stepped up and I have no doubt he is a # 1. Stuckey has impressed me ast the # 2 even though he hasn't put up huge numbers yet. But I am okay with that combo.

What concerns me?

Everyone behind them. I love that they got Brad Smith involved more today in the wildcat\seminole. But he isn't a # 3. Clowney and Wright aren't receiving much offensive playing time so the Jets don't have confidence in them.

The thought before the year was that Keller would take the pressure off but for whatever reason he hasn't been able to do that.

What if Cotchery gets hurt for a few games? Who will be the leading receiver? They need to do something about this. Go get a veteran. Go get a true slot receiver, but they need to address this...

next year we will get the pick of the litter...

What concerns me?

I'll give you Galloway for a pack of gum. :)

What concerns me?

cotchery may be OUR #1...but he's not a big time receiver at #1. we need that.

I'd get Braylon Edwards only if he was cheap and I mean very cheap. Guy would be nothing but a good deep threat to compliment Cotchery.

Not many others who spring to mind.

With a rookie QB and at this point of the year I am not sure you need to break the bank or make a huge move. What I am saying is that the Jets receivers are so bad from 3 - 5 that they should be able to take some 4th or 5th receiver from somewhere else and upgrade this unit.

If Cotch gets hurt, it is pretty much over and that ia a bad position to be in...

With a rookie QB and at this point of the year I am not sure you need to break the bank or make a huge move. What I am saying is that the Jets receivers are so bad from 3 - 5 that they should be able to take some 4th or 5th receiver from somewhere else and upgrade this unit.

If Cotch gets hurt, it is pretty much over and that ia a bad position to be in...

I'd go with our receivers suck from 2-5. Unless you include Keller as a #2. Stuckey hasn't impressed me at all opposite Cotch. Doesn't get enough separation and drops too much...although not as much as Brad Smith. I'm surprised Clowney got no looks today. We need someone fast to stretch the field.

It's kinda hard to fit the qualifications of being a New York Jets WR. You need to be under 5'5", under 180, and have hands of stone. If you are taller than 5"5" that would be ok, as long as you are slow as hell AND have hands of stone.

I agree sign him for a league minimum. Take a chance.

If nothing else Jones is a big target and costs you nothing but some money. He is an upgrade over Smith and Clowney, and maybe even Stuckey. Toomer is still on the street as well, but he is old enough to be Sanchez's dad...

...and I was wrong about Cotchery. The man is a lot better receiver than I gave him credit for this offseason.

True. He's producing at a very high level. I think we need another receiver, and I'm not as low on Stuckey as some people are. He's suited to the slot and we're asking him to take on more than that. It's his first season as a starter on top of that.

Our solution to our WR problem is next year with brandon lafell outta LSU. I've watched just about every game he's ever played, same with Bowe, and he's basically a clone of Bowe; I would say with less drops.

Obviously I would choose Dez Bryant first, but he most likely will be long gone and at 6'3 205, Lafell has the size and skill to be our #1. Arellious Ben would be a nice consolation.

True. He's producing at a very high level. I think we need another receiver, and I'm not as low on Stuckey as some people are. He's suited to the slot and we're asking him to take on more than that. It's his first season as a starter on top of that.

I agree about Stuckey - he's being asked to contribute in a position he has not played at the NFL level. That said, I'd like to have him in the slot for most of his snaps while learning to play outside. Jones can play outside already - that would take a lot pressure off Stuckey while he learns and give Sanchez a nice, big target to throw at in the meanwhile.

Our solution to our WR problem is next year with brandon lafell outta LSU. I've watched just about every game he's ever played, same with Bowe, and he's basically a clone of Bowe; I would say with less drops.

Obviously I would choose Dez Bryant first, but he most likely will be long gone and at 6'3 205, Lafell has the size and skill to be our #1. Arellious Ben would be a nice consolation.

Sign me up for next year, but what about for the right now?

If nothing else Jones is a big target and costs you nothing but some money. He is an upgrade over Smith and Clowney, and maybe even Stuckey. Toomer is still on the street as well, but he is old enough to be Sanchez's dad...

Either guy would HAVE to be better than Brad Smith as the 3rd option. Matt Jones had over 60 catches and over 750 yards last season. Toomer, I know he is done, but he had almost 600 yards last season.

I didn't do the math but I would bet that is more than the career totals for Stuckey, Smith, Wright and Clowney combined.

They need to address this.

I mean, seriously. This guy is awesome for trick plays and Special Teams but he cannot catch a cold, minus his one lucky grab earlier today, and is just useless out there. Please, stop trying to force a round peg into a square hole. Lets give some reps to David Clowney, the Preseason Hercules to see if he's got something. Heck, give them to Wallace Wright even. Enough is enough with Smith lining up at WR on plays that arn't trick plays. Defenses should just leave him wide open, he won't catch it anyways.

This, and Leon only getting 4 carries, are my only real complains from today.

I love Brad Smith as a special teamer and for trick plays.

But I have been saying FOR YEARS that he will never be a wide receiver in this league. Nevermind saying he will be a 3rd WR. Not gonna happen.

Archived