The Official Shonn Greene / Play This Beast Thread

jaspegs

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't wait to see this guy take over in the 4th quarter.

I just look foward to seeing Greene in 2009 coming in during the 4th quarter with fresh legs, running over defenders. He is going to be beastly.

I hope the Jets have the lead once in a while in the fourth quarter so we can see if this is true or not.

The man looks like a starting RB to me. I'm hoping he cuts heavily into TJ's work over four quarters.

Can we please not make the "bowling ball" comparison again?

Didn't quite work out last time round.

:suic3:

Well if he dosen't pan out at least we didn't piss away the 4th pick on him and pay him a million billion dollars, we could just cut our losses and move on

The New York Jets have reached agreement with running back Shonn Greene, their third-round choice (65th overall) in the 2009 NFL Draft. The announcement was made by Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum. Greene (5'11", 235), Iowa’s first consensus All-America running back since 1939, rushed for 2,228 yards (5.9 average) and 22 touchdowns and added 72 yards on 11 receptions in 33 game...

More...

• 4 weeks later...

The winner of the Doak Walker Award, given to the nation's top college running back, Shonn Greene was a third-round draft pick of the Jets after rushing for 1,850 yards and scoring 20 touchdowns as a junior at Iowa.

He steps into an offense that figures to emphasize the running game, with veterans Thomas Jones and Leon Washington returning behind one of the NFL's better offensive lines. Sporting News' Bill Eichenberger caught up with Greene, a powerfully built 5-11, 227-pounder.

Q: How different is the Jets' system from what you were accustomed to at Iowa?

.A: At Iowa, we didn't do as much moving around and shifting, stuff like that. We are doing a lot more of that here. So it is a lot different.

Q: What has coach Rex Ryan told you about your role in 2009? What is he looking for you to provide?

A: I'm not trying to settle into one particular role right now. I'm just trying to do whatever they ask of me. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can.

Q: How big of a challenge is it to learn an NFL playbook?

A: It's not that big of a challenge if you stay with it and follow the veterans. You are going to mess up at times because you are not familiar with all the new stuff, but as long as you don't make the same mistakes over and over again you should be alright.

Q: Did you hear about the comment Ryan made about you being the sort of back who can pick up tough yards between the tackles in the fourth quarter?

A: Yeah, somebody said something to me about that.

Q: Is that something you can do?

A: Oh yeah, absolutely. The fourth quarter is when the defenses start to tire out. And with a guy like me, if I keep pounding the ball, I can be effective wearing them out.

Q: You had to be pleased that the Jets thought enough of your potential to trade up to draft you.

A: It meant a lot. It meant that they had trust in me, that they had faith in my abilities. That went a long way with me. When that happened, I was so excited.

Q: Do you think Kirk Ferentz, your coach at Iowa, having an NFL background, helped to prepare you for this stage of your career?

A: Even if he didn't have an NFL background, he's just an all-around good guy, a good guy to talk to and go to for advice. He helped me out a great deal.

Q: Is there an NFL running back you admire or pattern your game after?

A: A lot of people have tried to compare my running style to Michael Turner's. So I guess it would be him.

Q: Have you always been a running back?

A: When I first started playing in Little League, I was a tackle but I've been a running back ever since.

Q: Playing for Ryan, who emphasizes the running game, has to be an ideal situation for a workhorse back, right?

A: It is. I think that follows from the physical nature of coach Ryan's defenses. Running the ball on offense, controlling time of possession is a vital part of his defensive philosophy. It goes hand in hand.

Q: What's it going to be like playing behind this offensive line, which many consider one of the NFL's best?

A: It's going to be great. I can't wait. Those guys, they bust it. They go real hard. The down linemen, the tight ends, the fullback, they all do a great job.

• 3 weeks later...

Jets rookie running back Shonn Greene has been receiving quite the welcome to professional football training camp. He’s taken several hard hits in the first three days of practices at SUNY Cortland, but he’s staying strong.“That’s the game of football,” Greene said after Sunday’s morning practice. “It’s a physical contact sport. You know, you ha...

More...

Here's a real quick recap of the Green and White Scrimmage in Cortland, NY:

Story of the Day: Sanchez shines, while Clemens looks very ordinary

Clemens started with the ones and couldn't get anything going, relying on the short pass to try and move the ball downfield. The first team defense was very solid, turning the line of scrimmage into a mosh pit on every play.

Sanchez relieved Clemens after a virtual three and out and looked very poised, very solid behind center. After two handoffs to Danny Woodhead and a false start on the OL, Sanchez threw down the middle to TE Jack Simmons who (somewhat predictably) dropped the ball. Later on the drive, after a beautiful burst to the outside off left end by Shonn Greene for 12 yards, Sanchez was victimized by another drop, this time by Britt Davis who was having a bad night. Though Sanchez didn't score the ball, he looked very comfortable out there, directed the team well, made his adjustments and got the ball out quickly and confidently--a real change from the last few days of practice.

After another non-descript possession by Clemens, and one possession apiece by Pizzotti and Ainge (who threw deep to Marcus Henry for 35 yds, making a leaping catch over Drew Coleman), Sanchez took the field with the ones and sparkled in the two minute drill.

After a few short plays, Sanchez drilled a beautiful out-route to Wallace Wright on the right sideline for about 15 yards. It was really a classically perfect toss to the outside, both accurate and powerful. Wright has really shown some ability at receiver in this camp so far. Sanchez then hit Wright again for ten yards in the seam, with Wright holding on despite being drilled by Donald Strickland. After going to Wright yet again for a short gain and another to Jack Simmons, the drive stalled on an incompletion to Britt Davis who was defended nicely by Drew Coleman.

This drive by Sanchez was very smooth, despite not scoring (which may be a theme with the Jets this year), and was the story of the game.

Clemens took over the second unit against the back-up D, and was undone by another Britt Davis drop on a high sideline pass that he tried to catch with one hand. In fairness to Davis, it would have had to be a great catch. After a clean "sack" by Ihedigbo on the safety blitz, Clemens threw deep to Chansi Stuckey who was hand-fighting with Drew Coleman and never had a chance to catch the ball. It may have been Pass Interference on Coleman in the regular season. This ended Clemens' night.

Sanchez came back in and completed two consecutive passes to Leon, the second a pretty 12 yard pass into the hook zone. After moving the ball down the field for about 30 yards, Sanchez's last drive ended with a nice scramble in the pocket to avoid pressure, but he ultimately threw it incomplete.

Summary analysis to follow...

Some notes:

~~If it weren't for the poise that Sanchez was showing, the story of the game would have been Shonn Greene, who looks ALOT like Adrian Murrell with the ball in his hands. He has a low center of gravity and is very quick to bounce it to the outside. Greene got drilled by Darrelle Revis after one play and got up limping though. Have to see if he's injured.

~~While keeping the scrimmage in perspective (it's JUST a scrimmage), this was Sanchez by TKO. Whether he was playing with the ones or the twos, or against the ones or twos on defense, the offense was alot more efficient and dynamic with him under center. I commented earlier that Sanchez does nothing physically that makes you think he was worthy of the #6 pick, but his intangible stuff is very impressive. He has an obvious understanding of the passing game, he gets the ball off quick and decisively at times, and when he can't find a receiver he showed very good feel in the pocket, Also, when he scrambled it was with the intent to throw the ball and not just try and pick up rushing yards, though he seems capable of that as well. He is going to be fun to watch, at the very least.

~~The Defensive Line and Linebackers are going to be very tough this year, very physical. The OLB's took turns lining up at DE in some defensive formations, with Calvin Pace, in particular, looking very strong mixing it up inside. Vernon Gholston took some snaps with the second team, but didn't seem to make many, if any, plays.

~~The Jets interior offensive line really struggles to move people out inside. These are NOT the hogs. When Sione Pouha and Howard Green are bottling you up inside, you have to consider yourself a finesse team, which is OK, especially if Shonn Greene is the goods. We know that Leon can exploit the corner, and he will get that chance this year it looks like. It looks like it will be another year of plugging away in the middle for Thomas Jones, however.

~~The offense opened up with Leon AND Thomas Jones in the game at the same time with Caulcrick. It looked like Leon was playing a wing-back position/slot guy. Getting the best players on the field, I suppose. The starting wideouts were Cotchery and Stuckey.

~~A quick whine, and a hypothetical: pretend that you were from New Jersey, and you have been reading in the paper all week about a Green and White Scrimmage taking place in lovely, bucolic Cortland, NY. Now, imagine that you decided to pack your kids in the car for the 5 1/2 hour trip up here only to find out that the coach decided to move the game to a grass practice field that currently has temporary bleachers capable of holding, say, 300 people--bleachers where the seat highest from the ground is about six feet up. Now, say that approximately 5000 people show up and get packed along the one sideline made available to those loyal Jets fans that made that drive, effectively blocking the bleachers from view of the field, along with the players lining up in front of those people who can now no longer see the field. In sum, of the 5000 who showed up, approximately 1/3 of those people were ever actually able to see anything resembling Jets football. I don't mind moving the practice to the smaller field, but it was a gross miscarriage to not make accomodations for the crowds, such as allowing access to to the fence guarding the opposite sideline to halve the congestion. Instead, people were packed in like cattle along one edge of the field, each looking at the backs of the persons heads in front of them. If you were a kid, you may as well have stayed home. End of whine.

Interesting stuff, Tom, especially about the QB's. It'll be interesting to see if this scrimmage effects the way they look in the next practice. If it's Kellen slumped over, and Sanchez who's strutting his stuff.

Wonder if Ryan will be looking to get him more work with the ones now, too.

Interesting stuff, Tom, especially about the QB's. It'll be interesting to see if this scrimmage effects the way they look in the next practice. If it's Kellen slumped over, and Sanchez who's strutting his stuff.

Wonder if Ryan will be looking to get him more work with the ones now, too.

Absolutely, slats. Both Clemens and Sanchez have shown the propensity to hang their heads when things don't go their way so far in camp. If Clemens falls into moping around, the competition turns right around, if it hasn't already.

This morning I would have told you that Kellen Clemens was getting ready to take the reins and own this franchise for the year. Right now, I'm not so sure. So much will depend on his ability to bounce back emotionally.

btw all, I am heading home tonight, back to my real life (which blows = D). Thanks for taking the time to read my thoughts on camp, and here's hoping the Jets do well this season. I hope you took something positive from my "reporting." It was fun.

:cheers:

Tom that sucks that Twitter was having so many problems today and was offline. But after a full week you are probably tweeted out.

Great recap as always.

What have you thought about Howard Green so far? You mention it in the context of him and Pouha bottling up the OLine. But do you think he is going to help out and provide some depth?

Also Wallace Wright -- he is a beast on special teams but that is good news about him looking good so far. What are your thoughts on him? # 4 WR?

btw all, I am heading home tonight, back to my real life (which blows = D). Thanks for taking the time to read my thoughts on camp, and here's hoping the Jets do well this season. I hope you took something positive from my "reporting." It was fun.

:cheers:

I am not looking forward to the expense report. :-P

Great job once again Tom.

Nice to hear Sanchez finally showing something, this team needs to make a move for a WR and soon. It seems everyday that Clemens and Sanchez are switching from being comfortable to being flat out awful. Hopefully this means Sanchez has "earned his reps" with the 1st team.

Shonn Greene could be a great weapon for us this season. Very excited to see what he can do.

Great job once again Tom.

Nice to hear Sanchez finally showing something, this team needs to make a move for a WR and soon. It seems everyday that Clemens and Sanchez are switching from being comfortable to being flat out awful. Hopefully this means Sanchez has "earned his reps" with the 1st team.

Shonn Greene could be a great weapon for us this season. Very excited to see what he can do.

I totally agree. What good is having a 3 headed monster at RB if you have no threats at WR to really get inside the d's head and get what you could potentially get out of the three guys we have now at RB. I'm tired of wasting the good things we have while we wait for the other areas to catch up, and when they finally do, something else goes wrong. But you know what they say about us Jet's fans, if it wasn't for bad luck, we'd have no luck at all.

I totally agree. What good is having a 3 headed monster at RB if you have no threats at WR to really get inside the d's head and get what you could potentially get out of the three guys we have now at RB. I'm tired of wasting the good things we have while we wait for the other areas to catch up, and when they finally do, something else goes wrong. But you know what they say about us Jet's fans, if it wasn't for bad luck, we'd have no luck at all.

Be prepared for the 9+ in the box..

Be prepared for the 9+ in the box..

Put 9 in the box. Will just make it easier on the quick passing game.

9 in the box is a little bit extreme. Schotty would be fine game planning against 9 in the box.

Archived