The Official Shonn Greene / Play This Beast Thread

jaspegs

Maybe we just disagree with what JAG means. You point out that Jones is a workhorse, he carried second most in the AFC. To me, a guy with the kind of strength and endurance to carry the rock that many times and consistently produce is NOT a JAG.

What do you think it means? Doesn't it just stand for Just Another Guy? We've had some good backs here. Do you have any doubt that Curtis, Freeman or Johnny Johnson would have improved on Jones stats in 2008? I'd rate him above a JAG, but he's certainly no big deal. When a skill position players main attributes are durability and reliability he's no big deal. Good, but certainly NOT great.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What would make me happy with Jones is if he broke tackles. If he made people miss. He doesn't. He creates nothing. In fact, he leaves yards on the field with his dancing.

We had a great offensive line. That's why he put up the numbers that he did. And because he was second in the AFC in carries.

Give Leon 300 carries and see what he does.

....and he goes down way too easy.

As long as Leon and Jones are here I don't see him getting too many carries this year.

I think he'll get his share of carries. The Jets spent a lot on him to move up in the draft. Greene may very well be the starter next year if Jones is dealt. The Jets NEED to know what they got.

What is this guys potential? I remember pon draft day being pissed we didnt take Glen Coffee(my pick for ROY). He went 9 picks later to the Niners.

He looks like JAG from the few things I've seen from him. Hopefully he has a nose for the goal line.

And to think the 49ers didn't have to give up a ton of picks to move up to grab him. :biggrin:

I like Greene better the more I see him play. My major problem with him coming out of college was a lack of explosion due to being a little slow. Slow guys get stopped in a hole that a fast guy squeeks through. From what I have seen, Greene is quicker that I thought he would be. Greene has the best vision of any runner in this draft and seems to always hit the proper hole and head in the right direction. If he can continue to have enough quickness to hit the holes hard, I think he has a chance to be a real good one. I was never a fan of Coffee. He is a taller back that never seemed to live up to the hype, but then again I wasn't a Frank Gore fan either. Let's see where they both are at the end of their rookie years. I have a feeling Shon Greene will get some big yards for us this year.

We need to worry about Greene staying healthy because we care about # of carries.

Greene has been hurt in camp with different injuries. He got hurt again in the Raven game.

Hopefully this is not a portent of things to come.

Jets rookie running back Shonn Greene has cartilage damage in his ribs and coach Rex Ryan said he's going to shut down the Sicklerville native for the rest of the preseason.

Greene, a third-round pick out of Iowa, said he was injured on his first carry against the Ravens when he fell on the ball and then several defenders fell on him. He said he didn't feel the injury right away but after the game he had trouble breathing.

"We're being conservative," said Ryan. "I don't think he'll play in the preseason."

For Greene, the frustration is mounting. He injured his right ankle early in camp and was just recovering.

"The ankle is fine and then this happens," said Greene. "It's real frustrating for me but those kind of things happen and you have to move on."

Notes:

Ryan said LB Vernon Gholston, who has been working almost exclusively with the ones this week, will start against the Giants in place of Calvin Pace.

WR David Clowney will get increased playing time with the first team against the Giants.

Ryan said the starters will play the first half against the Giants.

The coach said he's still having nightmares from last season's game against the Giants when they gashed his Ravens defense for 207 yards rushing on 33 carries.

K Jay Feely, who sat out last week against the Ravens (groin), will play Saturday.

Ryan said rookie free agent QB Chris Pizzotti will play the first series of the third quarter.

The Jets signed rookie free agent RB Anthony Kimble (Stanford).

The Day at Practice:

QB Mark Sanchez looked sharp in the red zone, connecting with WR Jerricho Cotchery on two TDs.

T Wayne Hunter, who doubles as a short-yardage tight end, caught back-to-back passes.

DT Kris Jenkins (calf), CB Darrelle Revis (hamstring) and CB Donald Strickland (foot) practiced full again and will play against the Giants.

P Reggie Hodges shanked two punts and his days on the roster could be numbered if he doesn't become more consistent.

Jets RB Shonn Greene Out For Preseason

Posted by A. Greenbaum On August - 27 - 2009

After a few minor injuries here and there this offseason, Shonn Greene is officially out of the preseason due to damaged cartilage in his ribs. The third round pick out of Iowa has had a few nagging injuries this offseason including a lingering ankle issue.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/08/with_jets_practices_now_closed.html

Rookie RB Shonn Greene (ribs) returned to Jets practice on Monday.

Greene got healthy quicker than expected, as coach Rex Ryan called him out for the remainder of preseason last week. Assuming he's cleared for contact, Greene should play extensively Thursday night against Philadelphia.

I would love to see him play, we haven't seen enough of him to really judge what he can do. Let alone if he'll make an impact this season.

I'd say leave him out and let the other RBs not named Washington or Jones take most of the carries. He is going to make the team as the 3rd back anyway so why take the chance of him getting hurt worse in a meaningless game.

Well I'm gonna take the selfish route and hope he plays. I'll be in attendance and he's one of the non starters I would love to watch.

But yeah, if he's not healthy let him rest.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived