The Official Shonn Greene / Play This Beast Thread

jaspegs

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’d agree with Dom that the NE game wasn’t the ideal scenario to throw a rookie RB in for his first NFL carries. I’m assuming he was hurt for the Texans game (One that would have been perfect for him IMO) and that he’s still not 100%, at least that’s what I’m hoping right now. I think we’ll see him soon enough, probably in a scenario where we have a two score lead or more. I’ll be very concerned if we haven’t seen him by mid-season though, these RB’s are meant to be utilized early.

Working Greene into the run game will be an act of finesse. Throwing him into the New England game would have been terrible, their run D was good and we couldn't afford to have him fumble the ball or provide an ineffective block for Sanchez. And after coming off an injury that sidelined him for a couple of weeks. Let him spend more time practicing with the team and work him in slowly building up to the Oakland game. He can have a dozen plus touches in that game; they have no run defense.

I don't see how anybody that watched that game would think any carries should have been taken away from Leon and Jones. Especially for a rookie RB that's been hurt. After the Pats stripped him everybody would be calling the coaches idiots for using him in that situation.

You are absolutely correct. With Jones still here, and them finally using Leon more on offense, Green is injury insurance and TJ's future replacement. No sense in putting him in a tight, extremely importaant game.

He will get his carries.

Greene will get his carries, just he will not get his first NFL carries in a Jets/Patriots game that was just wired with craziness, so far the biggest game of the NFL season, as strange as that is to say in September.

He will get them, and next time we play NE I bet he will see some action because he will have gotten usage in other games, rather then stepping in for his first action in a big game.

WOODHEAD!!!!

Good one! You're probably kidding, but he would've gotten trashed against NE first stringers...they weren't phili third stringers. But not to worry about Shonn. No need for him to play in this big game for us as a rookie. As you all have said, he will gradually get more carries and become a big part of our offense, possibly getting third and short carries with his power.

I agree with you guys but as soon as hes ready he should get some carries, it would be stupid to make him wait.

It wouldnt be stupid if he's fresh in December, that'll mean that he'll allow both Washington and Jones to catch a well deserved breather preparing for the Playoffs. A fresher Leon and Jones for a playoff run would be alot smarter, especially if Greene ends up being productive during that time.

To have to deal with the 3 headed monster and Sanchez come playoff time....I smell what the Rex is cooking I tell you that much.

It wouldnt be stupid if he's fresh in December, that'll mean that he'll allow both Washington and Jones to catch a well deserved breather preparing for the Playoffs. A fresher Leon and Jones for a playoff run would be alot smarter, especially if Greene ends up being productive during that time.

To have to deal with the 3 headed monster and Sanchez come playoff time....I smell what the Rex is cooking I tell you that much.

Don't be so sure the team will even make the playoffs. And how do you figure he won't be fresh getting 5-7 carries a game? That's nothing compared to the average back. He needs to get use to running in the NFL regardless.

I have a feeling this will be the week we see him in action for the first time. This game smells like a ball control, defensive oriented, field position, 13-10 type game he was drafted for.

I don't think the first time we see him it's going to be in a defensive oriented, field position 13-10 game. I think it'll be in a blow out or when somebody gets dinged.

Ryan may be holding him out for a few weeks until he can learn the blocking schemes. Putting a rookie RB in to protect a rookie QB sounds like a recipe for bad things. Give him time and I expect we'll see him in.

Yep.

Don't be so sure the team will even make the playoffs. And how do you figure he won't be fresh getting 5-7 carries a game? That's nothing compared to the average back. He needs to get use to running in the NFL regardless.

Why not be so sure? Rex Ryan is sure, the 53 man Roster is sure? Dont you play these games to go to and win a superbowl?

Look, I dont destroy my season because of results from prior years. I believe in these guys and thats it. I'll leave the "Same'ol Jets" mantra to others.

Oh, and when we win the superbowl, just know that I was sure of it.

Archived