The Official Shonn Greene / Play This Beast Thread

jaspegs

say farewell to the Brad Smith trickery on short yardage-say goodbye to the 3 and 1 pass play-we have a our own Green Bus...hey whadda you guys think? Shonn Greene The Greene Bus

hLlfOIgmKqk

He doesn't like to go down at all. He is no Monica Lewinsky. ;)

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
this is a guy that usually winds up on pitts or balt, tough runner, can carry the load

he's right out of the AFC north script

I'm telling you he reminds me of LenDale White and Jerrome Bettis only faster....he is THE GREENE BUS!!!!!

This was a FANTASTIC PICK!!!!

Followed Penn State and big ten all year.

Greene was a dream to land in this draft, and it now REALITY!

Agree with SFLAJET that he is very similar to Bettis.

He runs low, hard and for power and speed. Great downhill runner.

Much more compact, powerful and yards after contact than TJ.

Trade TJ now for anything. In fact, cut him if necessary to cut cap $!!!

1(65) NY Jets (from Detroit) Shonn Greene RB Iowa

At 227 pounds, Greene is a powerful between-the-tackles runner who can carry a heavy load and appears to get better with each carry. He doesn't have great top-end speed, but he's quicker than he is fast and runs with good balance. Although he is an inconsistent receiver at this point he's an above-average pass-blocker for a college prospect

hey, if he had top end speed he'd go top 10

oh yea? go do a little YouTube research NCJF....you too will be very impressed I promise

I have seen him play a lot this year. For some reason, we got a few Iowa games here this year.

Is he strong? Yes. Is he a good college back? Yes. Will he be a good NFL back? I hope so, but I have serious reservations. He's not 270 pounds like Jacobs, and I don't think he's going to be able to just run over NFL linemen and backers. I don't think there's any doubt that he is not a good receiver.

He's certainly not a replacement for Leon. Jones, maybe, but I'm not sure. And when defenses start putting 8 or more in the box, he'll have no where to go.

Well the 4th that they overpaid with is a function of where our pick was in round 4 more than us overpaying outright. The pick a handful of slots later in round 4 is the "on paper" value. But we didn't own that pick. The 7th is a throw-in, as it had virtually no trade value.

Technically, what would have made it even was them giving us their 7th instead of us giving ours to them. Having zero 7th round picks instead of two 7th round picks doesn't break my heart. The same talent exists as UDFA's.

Overall, the trade was pretty even. If it's a player you want THAT badly, you don't get caught up in who is or isn't giving up the 7th round compensation that would even out the numbers according to a draft value chart invented before free agency or the salary cap.

Remember too.... Detroit had a lot of time to shop the pick and probably had more than 1 buyer

Don't like this pick at all.

Slow. Can't catch. Bad blocker. Dumb. Durability questions?

GREAT PICK!!!!!11111

We're going to win the fricken superbowlz this yr!

Oh I know, why don't we give up some extra picks for him too? I hate draft picks, I prefer to spend 3 of them on each player.

say farewell to the Brad Smith trickery on short yardage-say goodbye to the 3 and 1 pass play-we have a our own Green Bus...hey whadda you guys think? Shonn Greene The Greene Bus

hLlfOIgmKqk

Awesome video!

My favorite part was the one where he didn't break a single ****ing tackle the entire video.

thejetsblogRT @nyjets: Mark Sanchez greeted Shonn Greene at complex w/a hug. Sanchez asked for a Jets "picture roster" so he can match faces, names.

2 minutes ago from TwitterFon

:Typotux:

hey DLJ is Sanchez Tweeting? I see Kerry Rhodes welcomed him

yes, he just tweeted 12 mins ago:

Mark_Sanchez: On the media tour w/ the Jets. Beautiful facilities, great personnel! I love the green and white!

So did Woody Johnson:

woodyjohnson4: Just met shonn greene. Impressive, large running back. Looks like he fits the part for coach rex. He's from nj so we know he's tough.

Shonn isn't a bad guy on the team, but he's a short-yardage back if anything. He doesn't replace Jones. Sorry.

I'm not even saying that 3rd round was a reach for him... 3rd, 4th, and 7th was a reach for him.

Shonn isn't a bad guy on the team, but he's a short-yardage back if anything. He doesn't replace Jones. Sorry.

I'm not even saying that 3rd round was a reach for him... 3rd, 4th, and 7th was a reach for him.

Agreed. Considering we have a gaping hole at defensive end and other needs the Jets have, this was a pick that wasn't necessary. Jennings from Liberty is still available from last I looked and would have been just as solid.

He really ran a ****ing 4.7?

You must be joking.

Combine Results:

40 Yard Dash : 4.65 seconds

Bench Press : 19.0 reps

Vertical Jump : 37.0 inches

Broad Jump : 121.0 inches

3 Cone Drill : 7.1 seconds

20 Yard Shuttle : 4.4 seconds

4.65. I enjoy hyperbole.

There have been many, many running backs who ran a 4.7/40 who contribute to championship teams. Many of them. Unfortunately, they all played in leather helmets and in 1946.

so in the third ****ing round we should draft adrian peterson ?

this happens every year

the later picks get taken apart like they are dog meat

except, of course, the other teams picks, thay are all "quality depth" :rolleyes:

so a guy who rushed for 100 yards every week in the big 10 and won the doak walker sux

got it

He ran .03 of a second slower than Kowshon Moreno. A guy most of you were drooling over.

Please STFU.

:D

By November, you will be watching Knowshon Moreno in the NFL destroying defenses while Shonn Greene is getting 4 carries for 3 yards every game. Guarn-****ing-teed, homey.

And, the issue isn't just Shonn Green, it's the three picks it took to draft Shonn Greene.

The Jets are not running a straight 3-4 defense like under Mangini. Coleman's value was considerably more before Ryan got here, and he wasn't so marvelous anyway. He did a pretty good job in '07, but when you take a step backward when the "big change" is sticking Kris Jenkins next to you instead of DRob, then regressing is inexcusable.

Agreed. That is why I have been wanting a DE in this draft for the whole offseason. I think your thoughts on Coleman and his position with the team are spot on, its still doesnt explain the NOT in drafting Gilbert.

I think Ryan doesn't want any of these total non-penetrators. I think Ellis, Devito and Douglas can cover that spot. It's a pretty big dead money hit to dump him though.

You are probably right on all accounts.

:D

By November, you will be watching Knowshon Moreno in the NFL destroying defenses while Shonn Greene is getting 4 carries for 3 yards every game. Guarn-****ing-teed, homey.

And, the issue isn't just Shonn Green, it's the three picks it took to draft Shonn Greene.

This is why we need to bring back neg. rep., so I can neg rep IrishJet for being an idiot. Moreno was the best RB in the draft. Easily. Much more complete game, better moves/instincts, etc.

And yeah, the issue is trading up for Greene. If we sat at our pick and then grabbed him, it wouldn't be a horrible pick. We spent three picks on a short-yardage back.

This is why we need to bring back neg. rep., so I can neg rep IrishJet for being an idiot. Moreno was the best RB in the draft. Easily. Much more complete game, better moves/instincts, etc.

And yeah, the issue is trading up for Greene. If we sat at our pick and then grabbed him, it wouldn't be a horrible pick. We spent three picks on a short-yardage back.

That wasn't my point - I'm laughing at the fact that you guys are going after him BECAUSE of his 40 time, while the guy who love ran bascially the same.

Get a clue and quit with the ****ing personal attacks because someone disagrees with your opinion.

and he ran a 4.55 at Pro Day. Everyone who writes about someone is an expert. Watch the videos on him-he didn't outrun anyone until he outran everyone.

BTW-In terms of speed—the burst, the breakaway ability—there was a question mark next to Emmitt Smith's name. His time in the 40 while at Florida was 4.55, on synthetic turf. A New York Giants scout reportedly got him in 4.7. Too slow.

I like his burst, looking at the video he seems to hit the hole hard.

Troll, you pointed out that he doesn't break any tackles and while that may be true from that video, he's still clearly a physical runner who wont go down with arm tackles. What I love about him is that when he is tackled he still goes forward for another 2-3 yards. I really like his running style to be honest and think he'll be a great fit in this offense which is looking to play smashmouth football.

IMHO...Shonn Greene is an excellent addition and applaud the front office for aggressively pursuing. I agree with those who say its tough to part with the additional 4th but we get a player who the JETS were high on and thought was worth the price. Many of the scouts use the power and explosion numbers from as described in the artice by Pat Kirwan (below). Yes, Knowshon had better numbers than Shonn but that explains some of the difference between a first round grade and a third round pick. One poster made the comparision to Brandon Jacobs and while Shonn may not have his size he had similar power and explosion numbers coming out (Shonn power and explosion numbers =66.1) (see data below). Bemoan the loss of the 4th all you want but applaud the addition of Shonn Greene because he has a lot of upside and can be a productive even a workhorse RB.

Who in the top 5 solidified their ranking by meeting baseline numbers for their position?

71 * Knowshon Moreno - Georgia - Height: 5-11 Weight: 217 ***

71 * Andre Brown - NC St - Height: 6-0 Weight: 224 ***

70 * Chris Wells - Ohio St - Height: 6-1 Weight: 235 ***

SLIPPING THROUGH THE CRACKS. Example of how the numbers and rankings can and do lie:

66 * Brandon Jacobs (2005) - Southern Illinois - Height: 6-4 Weight: 267

"I ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH. EVEN WHEN I LIE". Who will make the numbers and rankings lie this year?

Shonn Greene - Iowa ***

Forget the numbers. Forget the rankings. This guy is just a playmaker. He has that "it factor". Definitely passes the eyeball test. Looks and runs like an NFL-type back. He surges through holes and finished runs with power, quickly gaining those first 2-3 yards and consistently gaining those extra yards after being hit. Keep an eye on Shonn Greene.

Taken from: http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/messages/chrono/14628410

THE ARTICLE THAT STARTED IT ALL:

Power and Explosion - How to measure these

By Pat Kirwan

NFL.com Senior Analyst

Posted On NFL.com March 24, 2005

(March 24, 2005) -- The numbers are starting to pile up from the NFL Scouting Combine results, Pro Days and the private workouts, so it is understandable if you are starting to get the idea that the NFL draft process is paralysis by analysis. That's not completely the case, since the grading of game tapes is still the most critical issue in scouting draftees, but a lot can be predicted by studying the measurable numbers that are being compiled.

Previously I discussed comparing the 40-yard dash times to the 20-yard short shuttle times so that there was a better understanding of quickness and change of direction vs. straight-line speed. Now I want to dive into another athletic dimension that has relevance, especially to defensive coaches: explosion and power. As one very successful defensive coordinator in the NFL said the other day on my Sirius Radio show, "We are always looking for explosive athletes who can deliver a blow, be great tacklers and meet force with greater force."

It is amazing what can be done with athletes that have rare measurables in this area if they are also good football players. Some test results are best when the number is low, like the 40-yard dash, the 20-yard short shuttle and the three-cone drill. There are other tests when the result is higher the score is better and those tests can tell us lots about explosiveness and power. The vertical leap, standing broad jump and the bench press are measurables where more is better.

I don't like to isolate one test score because it is too limited, but an overall score can tell us something about the athlete. One way I filter through all the eligible draft picks is to find the players that have a combined result of 70 or higher when I combine the vertical leap, standing broad jump and bench press test. As an illustration, if an athlete had a 40-inch vertical leap, a 10-foot standing broad jump and 20 reps on the 225-pound bench press test, he would have a combined score of 70. Those who know something about jumping, leaping and throwing weight around can see that 70 is an excellent combined score.

There is no reason to look to the results of athletes who do not have a high draft grade because, for the most part, they have already indicated they aren't good enough football players on the field. After filtering them out, I went looking for those prospects with a good playing grade and a score over 70.

I then filter out the weight-room guys who have 40 reps on the bench and an 18-inch vertical and a 7-foot broad jump. There's a place for a strong guy in a weight room, but he's not the guy most defensive coaches is looking for. Along the same line of thinking, a basketball-type player with a 42-inch vertical leap and an 11-foot broad jump but just nine reps on the bench also falls out -- he can't deliver a blow when he gets there. There's a place for the guy with springs in his legs, but he's not complete either.

Here are the defensive players with very good football grades who also got to the magic number of 70 used to sort out the best of the best in the area of explosive/powerful athletes. These guys can get there and bring it.

NAME POS. VERTICAL BROAD JUMP BENCH PRESS TOTAL

Luis Castillo DT 34

I like his burst, looking at the video he seems to hit the hole hard.

Troll, you pointed out that he doesn't break any tackles and while that may be true from that video, he's still clearly a physical runner who wont go down with arm tackles. What I love about him is that when he is tackled he still goes forward for another 2-3 yards. I really like his running style to be honest and think he'll be a great fit in this offense which is looking to play smashmouth football.

I hope you're right, because all that highlight tape showed was a slow guy that didn't break tackles.

And a "bruiser" that doesn't break tackles is completely useless.

Archived