The Official Shonn Greene / Play This Beast Thread

jaspegs

From watching that Youtube vid, the one thing this kid has to learn is what the other arm not holding the football is for once he gets to the second level. Using his head needlessly as a battering ram instead of a well placed stiff arm ( like a Donald Brown and TJ) will probably get you more yards and extend your career abit.

Don't get me wrong here. I love that he's fearless that way. But now that the Jets are paying his way, I'd like him to play a little smarter and stick around awhile.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great highlight reel.

He seems to set up and follow his blockers really well. Obviously great vision and the legs never stop. And he loves contact. It seemed that when a defender got close he instinctively put his head down and took him on.

A Violent Defense AND a violent Offense... nice! :cheers:

For what it's worth, my wife is an Iowa graduate, and I am forced to watch a lot of Hawkeye football. I'm a Canes fan

Even before the Jets took him I thought he was the best running back I had seen all year. He is very quick to the hole, tremendous power, you just don't tackle this kid alone. He's very shifty, with great vision. When he gets into the secondary a DB is usually going to get hurt.

The reasons I think he fell to the 3 rd round are 1) His straight line speed. He ran a 4.65 at the combine. I was very surprised when I saw that. I have seen him run away from DB's many times. In the video that is posted you see it several times.

2) He isn't the brightest bulb on the tree. Was forced to go to a CC to get his grades up to qualify for the NCAA. Which leads to #3) In 2007 when he sat out because of grades he blew up to around 300#. That is something the CS is going to have to watch with him. he could gain that 25# to be in Bettis area very quickly

Draft day, after "the Trade" I stopped watching. Sunday when I turned it on, the Jets were on the board. I couldn't figure out what was going on. When they picked Green I about fell over. I assumed he was selected way before that.

I know this kid didn't get much hype in the North East, but he is as good, I think better, then any back in the draft. I suspect most of you guys are really going to like him. He's the "Smash" in smashmouth football

If I were the Jets I would just ignore the howling that TJ is going to do. When the season starts I would use TJ for 3 quarters, give him a lot of carries, then bring Green into to punish a tired defense.

For what it's worth, my wife is an Iowa graduate, and I am forced to watch a lot of Hawkeye football. I'm a Canes fan

Even before the Jets took him I thought he was the best running back I had seen all year. He is very quick to the hole, tremendous power, you just don't tackle this kid alone. He's very shifty, with great vision. When he gets into the secondary a DB is usually going to get hurt.

The reasons I think he fell to the 3 rd round are 1) His straight line speed. He ran a 4.65 at the combine. I was very surprised when I saw that. I have seen him run away from DB's many times. In the video that is posted you see it several times.

2) He isn't the brightest bulb on the tree. Was forced to go to a CC to get his grades up to qualify for the NCAA. Which leads to #3) In 2007 when he sat out because of grades he blew up to around 300#. That is something the CS is going to have to watch with him. he could gain that 25# to be in Bettis area very quickly

Draft day, after "the Trade" I stopped watching. Sunday when I turned it on, the Jets were on the board. I couldn't figure out what was going on. When they picked Green I about fell over. I assumed he was selected way before that.

I know this kid didn't get much hype in the North East, but he is as good, I think better, then any back in the draft. I suspect most of you guys are really going to like him. He's the "Smash" in smashmouth football

If I were the Jets I would just ignore the howling that TJ is going to do. When the season starts I would use TJ for 3 quarters, give him a lot of carries, then bring Green into to punish a tired defense.

Great stuff....maybe the DBs he faced in college weren't that fast. The NFL will be different. Also, love the strategy about bringing him in for the 3rd Q. God knows that plenty of teams have done that to the Jets in the past..

Great highlight reel.

He seems to set up and follow his blockers really well. Obviously great vision and the legs never stop. And he loves contact. It seemed that when a defender got close he instinctively put his head down and took him on.

A Violent Defense AND a violent Offense... nice! :cheers:

He even caught a pass in that highlight reel - he's not suppose to be able to do that...I'm sure the cold weather won't bother him, either..

Transcript of Jets third-round draft choice Shonn Greene's news conference Sunday afternoon:On the Jets trading up to draft him…I just believe they believed in my potential and my talent to trade up to get me. I’m just going to work my hardest and my best to satisfy the pick and help the team win.On his initial meeting with the Jets…It was pretty cool. Actually, they...

More...

http://jetsfan.com

I was not a big fan of Shonn Greene. He had a good year for the Hawkeyes but is too one dimensional for my taste.

There were a few other running backs I liked better and they could have been had without moving up. In particular, Rashad Jennings from Liberty and Kory Sheets from Purdue are two players who I believe have more upside.

But Shonn Greene was clearly the Jets

Good effort but a lot of redundancy and there were a few inconsistencies that left me scratching my head. In particular:

"but I am concerned about his lack of explosiveness and his straight ahead running style."

Then in the next line:

"I like the way he attacks the line of scrimmage but he also has the tendency to bounce plays to the outside when he should stay between the tackles. He will have to become more of a better north-south runner in the NFL."

I think of 'straight ahead running style' as exactly the same as 'staying between the tackles'. Not sure what you're trying to say.

Also..your last line: "But he will need to be complemented with other running backs that have more elusiveness"

I think we have that more than covered with Leon.

Just a few things:

-Backs don't have to be THAT smart to have success in the NFL. Exhibit A: Emmitt Smith. Not having to learn so much of the playbook is a big reason backs can be successful year 1 on such a consistent basis. As long as he can learn to pass-block well, I'm alright with his level of intelligence.

-Green is like 5'10, 5'11 - not 6'1.

-A lot of the holes you see on tape are also due to his vision. I do understand the concern though.

-I think he has more wiggle than you give him credit for.

Nice writeup, though. I think Greene compliments our current stable of backs very well, and his upside is that of a bigger Curtis Martin. Not going to get you the big play, but he'll get you 4 yards a clip, wear down the defense, and won't take many plays for losses. Great long-term compliment for LW, even better if he improves his pass-pro and even better if he can at least do some things receiving the ball.

I luv this guy. Our best jetback since CMart has arrived. If he stays in town and healthy he can be our next probowl back i truly believe. I am more pumped about Shonn than Sanchez. Add "Shonn Jet Greene Crew" to your sig and be cool like me.

No one likes Greene? wow,what losers.

I love the Greene pick, and I watch a lot of Hawkeye football. I think the kid is going to be an excellent RB.

I like Sanchez a lot also. With only 3 players I still think this is going to be an impact draft.

I'm excited about Shonn Greene. He produced on the field. He didn't need an unstoppable team around him in order to succeed, unlike crap-stashe who never had to deal with pressure or having his receivers covered.

kellen Clemens is a waste of oxygen.

Oh, I know. You get 8 games to prove yourself as an NFL caliber QB. If you don't do better than 3-5 with the worst O-line in the league in those games then you are a scrub and a career backup. So if it were up to you, Eli Manning would be on the bench and the Giants would've wasted a 1st and a 2nd on drafting a replacement.

I hope he's the greatest RB ever, but I hated the pick and hated trading up to make it even more. The Jets didn't need to make a move for a RB until next year at the earliest. All in all, I'd've preferred a DE and a TE. At the expense of our third and fourth round picks, the guy had better be a perennial pro bowler.

I'm excited about Shonn Greene. He produced on the field. He didn't need an unstoppable team around him in order to succeed, unlike crap-stashe who never had to deal with pressure or having his receivers covered.

Oh, I know. You get 8 games to prove yourself as an NFL caliber QB. If you don't do better than 3-5 with the worst O-line in the league in those games then you are a scrub and a career backup. So if it were up to you, Eli Manning would be on the bench and the Giants would've wasted a 1st and a 2nd on drafting a replacement.

SOme QBs never get regular season games to prove themselves...

If Clemens cannot prove he has it in practice... what the hell makes you think he will suddenly show up for a game?

Clemens blows.

:Typotux:

I luv this guy. Our best jetback since CMart has arrived. If he stays in town and healthy he can be our next probowl back i truly believe. I am more pumped about Shonn than Sanchez. Add "Shonn Jet Greene Crew" to your sig and be cool like me.

We now have 3 Pro Bowl HBs :cool0043:

I loved the pick. We haven't had a RB that could break tackles since Johnny Hector. It takes away Jones's leverage and if they extend Leon (they better), the Jets will have a great one-two punch for years. Yeah, he doesn't have breakaway speed, but Leon does. And that is why he was still there in the third round.

Great pick.

Archived