Braylon Edwards Traded To Jets: MERGED

PS17

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update:

Edwards will suit up in Miami

By Rich Cimini

GM Mike (The Deal Maker) Tannenbaum address the media a short time ago at the FloP. Some of the noteworthy items:

* Braylon Edwards will play in Monday night's game against the Dolphins. Tannenbaum compared it to the Ty Law situation last season, when they signed the graybeard cornerback the week of the Patriots game in Foxborough and he was in the game -- a lot, as it turned out.

The Jets need Edwards. With Chansi Stuckey heading to Cleveland to play for Eric Mangini (he probably feels like he's going to Siberia), the Jets are down to Jerricho Cotchery, Brad Smith and David Clowney at receiver.

* Edwards will play under his existing contract. Edwards is in the fifth year of a five-year deal. Unless there's a new CBA by March (unlikely), he will be a restricted free agent in 2010. Clearly, the Jets didn't make this trade so they could have him a for a year (or two). They're thinking long term. Edwards had been asking the Browns for $9 million-a-year.

* Edwards will be introduced at the Jets' facility at 4 p.m. today.

* Jets security director Steve Yarnell checked into Edwards' troubled background, speaking with the league office and Cleveland law enforcement. The league is probing whether Edwards violated the league's conduct policy following accusations he assaulted a friend of NBA star LeBron James' outside a Cleveland nightclub Monday night. Cleveland police are also looking into the incident.

Obviously, the Jets were satisfied by what they learned.

* The Jets reportedly will send a conditional third-round pick and a fifth-rounder to Cleveland. The third-rounder could go as high as a second, depending on how many passes he catches. The third rounder has to be conditional because that pick may have to go to the Eagles to complete the Lito Sheppard trade. Chances are, the Jets will have to send a third or fourth to the Eagles, depending on Sheppard's playing time.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2009/10/edwards-will-suit-up-in-miami.html#ixzz0TGj0MvHX

Good deal, though Edwards has issues... and it's too bad we couldn't have kept Stuckey. So we're still without a slot receiver again.

Honestly can someone tell me who is our #3 WR? No one knows. With that said that is still better than Mangini's situation where you don't even know who your QB is.

Keller will benefit from this immensely.

No more safety coverage on Keller, let's see a LB try and cover him.

I just want to be very clear.

COTCHERY IS THE #1

COTCHERY > EDWARDS

Now with that said i think its a good trade. Itll be great once we see if Edwards can improve in both attitude and on the field. My biggest concern is watch and see the whole punching thing comes back to haunt him and gets him suspended for four games.

I think this will open up Cotchery BIG TIME, and at first i was sad to see Stucky go but we have David Clowney and i think he could be an even more dangerous slot receiver.

In the past few years ive learned to let go of player attachments and realize this is a TEAM sport, and team includes front office moves. So far our front office is ACE when it comes to pulling strings. So im eager to see how this plays out. :character0282:

I just want to be very clear.

COTCHERY IS THE #1

COTCHERY > EDWARDS

Now with that said i think its a good trade. Itll be great once we see if Edwards can improve in both attitude and on the field. My biggest concern is watch and see the whole punching thing comes back to haunt him and gets him suspended for four games.

I think this will open up Cotchery BIG TIME, and at first i was sad to see Stucky go but we have David Clowney and i think he could be an even more dangerous slot receiver.

In the past few years ive learned to let go of player attachments and realize this is a TEAM sport, and team includes front office moves. So far our front office is ACE when it comes to pulling strings. So im eager to see how this plays out. :character0282:

I would agree that Cotch is still the #1 guy.

Edwards is potentially much better, heck he's potentially as good as any WR in the league but he hasn't been consistent and has in fact been pretty awful over the last few years.

He will though at the very least be a guy who teams have to respect as a downfield threat and as much as I love Cotch that's not something he does.

Edwards is potentially much better, heck he's potentially as good as any WR in the league but he hasn't been consistent and has in fact been pretty awful over the last few years.

He will though at the very least be a guy who teams have to respect as a downfield threat and as much as I love Cotch that's not something he does.

I thought you had a thing for young guys who had a single good season a few years ago and have inflated opinions of themselves?

It doesn't matter who's ranked where they both do different things. Moss and Welker, Fitzgerald and Boldin, Driver and Jennings. They all get the job done, there will be plenty of passes to go around.

Wow really didn't expect to see that. I didn't even see him coming here in the offseason. Assuming the reports are correct on what they gave up, I'm not upset with the trade. I don't really like Edwards at all but we didn't give up all that much and he fills a need so I'll take that. I'm really concerned about those inconsistant hands and his contract though, especially how it'll affect Leon's situation. Overall I'll give this trade a B maybe B+. I'm really liking how Tannenbaum operates though. Love the aggressiveness.

First off I love this trade. Chris Carter once had a similar rep in Philly. Not saying it will be the same results - but with our core roster I can't see Braylon getting away with the same stuff here. I fully expect Edwards to come here with a chip on his shoulder to prove Mangini and the Browns wrong. But guys, I'm totally f'n phsyched. I've been waiting for a WR like this since Keyshawn left. Cothery, Keller and our running game are going to be BEASTS with this guy here.

Tooooonnn.. Man i miss having a WR like that.. Lets hope Ryan can get the most out of Edwards..

Yeah. If we're real lucky he can be coached up to mediocre. I don't understand this move at all. Braylon Edwards is ****ing terrible and this has subtraction by addition written all over it. Not only has he never caught more than half the passes thrown his way in a season, last year he led all receivers in penalties (9) and was one off the pace for targets on interceptions (also 9). Even during his one purportedly good year he was really only average (24th in DYAR among receivers, 40th in DVOA). Yet for some reason otherwise reasonable people are drooling like bitonti on weighin day at the combine. Explain?

Yeah. If we're real lucky he can be coached up to mediocre. I don't understand this move at all. Braylon Edwards is ****ing terrible and this has subtraction by addition written all over it. Not only has he never caught more than half the passes thrown his way in a season, last year he led all receivers in penalties (9) and was one off the pace for targets on interceptions (also 9). Even during his one purportedly good year he was really only average (24th in DYAR among receivers, 40th in DVOA). Yet for some reason otherwise reasonable people are drooling like bitonti on weighin day at the combine. Explain?

he was dogging it in Cleve..no pun intended

Maybe he's still waiting for a dare to be great situation.

Going up against Kerry Rhodes every day in practice will turn him into a BEAST!

We won't need Edwards to catch 80 balls to be effective to this offense. We need him to be a deep threat and use his big body to shield DB's while catching a slant. We don't need him to be a number 1. We just need him to be a playmaker and take what the D gives us. His mere presence will open things up for this offense.

Awesome.

Potential..

And I think he'll help open up the middle and underneath stuff..

We won't need Edwards to catch 80 balls to be effective to this offense. We need him to be a deep threat and use his big body to shield DB's while catching a slant. We don't need him to be a number 1. We just need him to be a playmaker and take what the D gives us. His mere presence will open things up for this offense.

Well said. Couldn't agree more actually. What became blatantly obvious in the Tennessee and New Orleans games was that we were in desperate need of someone to take a body off Cotch or Keller. Defenses have been daring Sanchez to beat them with Stuckey or Smith and it was working like a charm.

My lord this made me smile:

What the Jets have gotten from dealing with the Browns

Mark Sanchez, quarterback: The Sanchise won the job in training camp and, despite some rookie mistakes, has the Jets 3-1 and tied for first place in the AFC East.

Braylon Edwards, receiver: He had off-the-field problems and was erratic in the Browns' offense, but he's the big-play receiver the Jets were lacking.

What the Browns have gotten from dealing with the Jets

Brett Ratliff, quarterback: He's third on the depth chart behind Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn.

Chansi Stuckey, receiver: Stuckey was the Jets' No. 2 receiver, but didn't seize the job out of camp as much as he was a better option than David Clowney.

Jason Trusnik, linebacker: A depth player and special-teamer, he was undrafted out of Division III Ohio Northern and has an injury history.

Abram Elam, safety: Elam starts for the Browns but would have been a backup for the Jets behind Kerry Rhodes and Jim Leonhard.

Kenyon Coleman, defensive end: Coleman starts for the Browns.

17th overall draft pick (Sanchez trade): The Browns turned another trade, giving the pick to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who took quarterback Josh Freeman, for picks Nos. 19 and 191. The Browns then dealt No. 19 to the Philadelphia Eagles for Nos. 21 and 195.

The Browns drafted starting center Alex Mack at No. 19, cornerback Coye Francies at No. 191 and running back James Davis at No. 195. Francies is a backup, while Davis is on injured reserve after a promising preseason.

52nd overall draft pick (Sanchez trade): The Browns kept the pick and selected defensive end David Veikune, who now is a backup inside linebacker.

Two undisclosed draft picks (Edwards trade).

Archived