Braylon Edwards Traded To Jets: MERGED

PS17

How are you guys going to pay him when he becomes a FA next year?

You thought the Leon Washington negotiations dragged...

That said, Edwards is a solid player when it's the year 2007.

1. Do you have inside info on the CBA? Last I checked, there won't be a cap next year.

2. This isn't the Browns offense, with the QB carousel they have had the last year and a half. Even you shouldn't be as dense as to see how that mess of a team has affected his production.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well said. Couldn't agree more actually. What became blatantly obvious in the Tennessee and New Orleans games was that we were in desperate need of someone to take a body off Cotch or Keller. Defenses have been daring Sanchez to beat them with Stuckey or Smith and it was working like a charm.

I seriously see a big comparison to the Plax situation. He's there, draws coverage, has Toomer on the other side and they RUN THE BALL. Hmm... might it be that it was because they weren't so keen on sending safties and stacking the box and had a good offensive line and ran with success and threw when the needed to?

He's got something to prove now. If he wants the attention well, playing well in NYC will do that for you. Cotch creates seperation and gets YAC, please put him in straight man coverage and he will get room. The only downside I see to this is if he has a TO like implosion. I don't see that happening on a team with strong leadership. Maybe I'm drinking the juice.

IMHO the Jets will recoup some of the draft picks when they trade T Jones after season

so you think we're gonna get anythign for TJ? have you seen how bad he's been lately? and he's gonna be like 33. no one's giving us a damn thing for him. anyway...our draft this year so far is:

lito sheppard

braylon edwards

and we still have our 1st and 2nd. we're good.

Yeah. If we're real lucky he can be coached up to mediocre. I don't understand this move at all. Braylon Edwards is ****ing terrible and this has subtraction by addition written all over it. Not only has he never caught more than half the passes thrown his way in a season, last year he led all receivers in penalties (9) and was one off the pace for targets on interceptions (also 9). Even during his one purportedly good year he was really only average (24th in DYAR among receivers, 40th in DVOA). Yet for some reason otherwise reasonable people are drooling like bitonti on weighin day at the combine. Explain?

I dont value Braylon as highly as others. Of the 3 names that were constantly thrown around this offseason he was the last on my list...but let me ask you this...

do the Jets have a single player on this team that you feel is a good Football player? I mean I'm sure around the league there are a couple to mention but how about on our roster?

Let me go on record as saying this is a mistake.

After his latest altercation I knew he was a goner.

Joker couldnt handle the bright lights of Cleveland now what, NYC?

Is he really that much better than Stuckey?

Plus Trusnik?

Plus a 3rd??

BTW, shows what Rex thinks of The Clown.

Bowe would have been a better move.

Edwards already has one major knee surg.

Does he have the speed to cause DC's to game plan for him???

I seriously see a big comparison to the Plax situation. He's there, draws coverage, has Toomer on the other side and they RUN THE BALL. Hmm... might it be that it was because they weren't so keen on sending safties and stacking the box and had a good offensive line and ran with success and threw when the needed to?

He's got something to prove now. If he wants the attention well, playing well in NYC will do that for you. Cotch creates seperation and gets YAC, please put him in straight man coverage and he will get room. The only downside I see to this is if he has a TO like implosion. I don't see that happening on a team with strong leadership. Maybe I'm drinking the juice.

I agree 100%.

Nah, I think I am too. I'm confident enough in Rex's ability to get the most out of his players and maybe even more so with the fact that Edwards is semi-crazy. You really never know with those types of guys, sometimes playing with a chip is all it takes for the light to go on.

1. Do you have inside info on the CBA? Last I checked, there won't be a cap next year.

2. This isn't the Browns offense, with the QB carousel they have had the last year and a half. Even you shouldn't be as dense as to see how that mess of a team has affected his production.

i honestly think the players don't want a cap. they see how much money baseball players are making and they want their turn.

so you think we're gonna get anythign for TJ? have you seen how bad he's been lately? and he's gonna be like 33. no one's giving us a damn thing for him. anyway...our draft this year so far is:

lito sheppard

braylon edwards

and we still have our 1st and 2nd. we're good.

The 3rd round pick (to the Browns) becomes a 2nd round if Braylon catches a certain number of catches (though I don't know what that # is). It's conditional, as per Adam Shefter.

Nah, I think I am too. I'm confident enough in Rex's ability to get the most out of his players and maybe even more so with the fact that Edwards is semi-crazy. You really never know with those types of guys, sometimes playing with a chip is all it takes for the light to go on.

i think that edwards wanted out of cleveland BEFORE mangini got there. now i think he was pulling a more subtle brandon marshall to make it happen. i'd bet he'll come here and be a good boy. i'd bet he sees how good our team can be....he's not the sole talent on offense anymore. just a change of scenery.

I went home for lunch and was watching first and 10. Skip Bayless didnt think too highly of the trade, not that I care, but a the other dude and that chick on the show, said they know him personally and that this is exactly what he needed. That Braylon is built for NYC.

The chick brought up a good point, he didnt drop **** at Michigan. Everything that was thrown his way, he caught. She said that he wasnt mentally there and that it was affecting his play....who know, I dont listent to those dip**** and form my own opinions, but sometimes a fresh start can help.

i think that edwards wanted out of cleveland BEFORE mangini got there. now i think he was pulling a more subtle brandon marshall to make it happen. i'd bet he'll come here and be a good boy. i'd bet he sees how good our team can be....he's not the sole talent on offense anymore. just a change of scenery.

I don't know man. He's a conspiracy theorist who punches midgets, that doesn't exactly scream sanity.

The 3rd round pick (to the Browns) becomes a 2nd round if Braylon catches a certain number of catches (though I don't know what that # is). It's conditional, as per Adam Shefter.

True, Adam also said he would 'have to light it up this year' in order to get a 2nd whatever that means....

ok then we still have our 1st and 3rd. braylon is still young.....and he's got a very high ceiling (and he's proven he can actually reach it too). people say we're mortgaging our future. i don't see it. and if we go uncapped...well then there's absolutely nothing to worry about.

Neck, I'd agree more with a few minor changes.........

i hope that edwards wanted out of cleveland BEFORE mangini got there. now i hope he was pulling a more subtle brandon marshall to make it happen. i'd hope he'll come here and be a good boy. He might see how good our team can be....he's not the sole talent on offense anymore. just a change of scenery.

I seem to remember a tall prima donna deep threat playing for the Jets once. His name was Keyshawn Johnson, and he helped get us to an AFC Championship game.

Anyone who doesn't like this move, for the peanuts we gave up, is insane. Its becoming clear that the Browns have no understanding of how to get value for the players/picks they trade.

We have now gotten a franchise QB and number one-quality WR from the Browns for practically nothing. Be happy.

I seem to remember a tall prima donna deep threat playing for the Jets once. His name was Keyshawn Johnson, and he helped get us to an AFC Championship game.

Anyone who doesn't like this move, for the peanuts we gave up, is insane. Its becoming clear that the Browns have no understanding of how to get value for the players/picks they trade.

We have now gotten a franchise QB and number one-quality WR from the Browns for practically nothing. Be happy.

JF80, man I hope you are right.

2nd rounder is pretty high price, plus Stuckey who was developng into a nice player.

WOW I kind of took a break from the computer was a little miserable about this weeks loss and I noticed a friend of mine sent me a PM on my website . He said well you got your wish Braylon should help you guys open things up a bit.

OMG !! This is really good news . It will take a few weeks for him to get familar with the offense and by the end of the season he and Sanchez should be on the same page. This is going to be huge in the red zone and watch how much more this is going to open up Cotchery's game . Since we got rid of Stuckey (not sure why we did that ) We will probably see alot of Cotch in the slot (on the three sets) and maybe a little more of Clowney.

I think Mangini got him out fast because Braylon could have been one of the players not buying into his retarded system. Braylon may drop a ball here and there but he always seems to make the "tough catch" or the "big catch" thats what we need him for. Now watch our running game oepn up and take enormus pressure off the entire offense

JF80, man I hope you are right.

2nd rounder is pretty high price, plus Stuckey who was developng into a nice player.

It's only a 2nd if Edwards hits a certain level of production. If he doesn't we'll be giving up a late-3rd rounder. Yet another low risk, high reward deal by Tannenbaum.

EDIT: Ditto what Verde said above.

I think Mangini got him out fast because Braylon could have been one of the players not buying into his retarded system. Braylon may drop a ball here and there but he always seems to make the "tough catch" or the "big catch" thats what we need him for. Now watch our running game oepn up and take enormus pressure off the entire offense

I could not agree more. I think he just felt like he was going to have to waste away in Cleveland AGAIN while they play musical QB's and can't run the ball. Here... he at least has the THREAT of a running game, a solid #2 and a great pass catching TE.

I'm interested if we can find his stats in college and how much he dropped the ball there. Some guys really enjoy the lights on them. The Giants gambled on Plax and won out in the end, and this might be our gamble. I'm feeling good about it.

I don't know man. He's a conspiracy theorist who punches midgets, that doesn't exactly scream sanity.

Yep, Edwards is nuts.

But an interesting twist on the LeBron BFF abuse case. According to Hutch, it was actually someone in Edward's entourage rather than Edwards that punched the BFF.

Edwards likely paid his friend off to take the fall. So he isn't totally nuts.

Another interesting angle to this is that Rex has had to coach against this guy twice a year since he was a rookie. If anyone knows aout what he does to a defenses gameplan, it is Rex.

Thats a ****ing great point and one that I didnt consider.

Like I said in another thread, this team really seems to hold each other accountable and our coach expects everything a players got in his tank.

I cant think of a better situation or stage for Braylon to have a rebirth in his career. I just hope it works out.

Yep, Edwards is nuts.

But an interesting twist on the LeBron BFF abuse case. According to Hutch, it was actually someone in Edward's entourage rather than Edwards that punched the BFF.

Edwards likely paid his friend off to take the fall. So he isn't totally nuts.

Based what I know of Edwards and the lunatic fringe of the Lebrontourage, Braylon definitely hit him and dude definitely had it coming.

Archived