Braylon Edwards Traded To Jets: MERGED

PS17

Everyone who's talking about the '1 good year' thing need to also take into consideration that his '1 good year' was also the one year that Derek Anderson looked like a real QB.

And also that the '1 good year' was really just four good games.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What? Stuckey is a run of the mill #3 or 4 WR that bounces around from team to team for an entire NFL career. When his career is all said and done the only ones that will remember him are the die hard fans of the teams he played for. Think Bobby Wade. Are you going to remember Bobby Wade 15 years from now?

who is Bobby Wade?

Everyone who's talking about the '1 good year' thing need to also take into consideration that his '1 good year' was also the one year that Derek Anderson looked like a real QB. Coincidence?

Bradway traded a 2nd for Justin McCareins and Tannenbaum traded a 4th for Kevin Barlow.

Tannenbaum is learning. One good year is good enough for what the Jets gave up.

this is the move I've been waiting for the Jets to make since the day Keyshawn split for Tampa Bay-FINALLY!!!! we got our big WR. He's a combination of Richard Caster/Jerome Barkum/Al Toon and a dash of KJ sprinkled in-all in one player-I am a happy Jets fan today

I feel bad for the guys going to Cleveland. That's got to be a terrible feeling.

I feel pretty good about Edwards though.

Same. They were both contributers and the fact that they have worked hard this season, been part of this team getting to where it is now, it must be horrible for them.

Can you imagine Braylon trying to get an attitude with Jenks and Scott? That's what I love about this team. I actually do think if you are not part of the TEAM and buy into this they will murder you in your sleep.

Or something like that.

I imagine it being something like Full Metal Jacket with the soap in a sock beatings.

This was a good deal for the Browns long term and a good deal for the Jets short term.

Why it was a good deal for the Browns.......

Edwards was a cancer, his contract was up at the end of the year, he might be facing a suspension and his absense will not affect the Browns playoff chances. The Browns made out cause they have two additional picks a 3rd that could be come a 2nd and a 5th. It is unlikely Edwards was going to be part of the team n 2010, they now have a wideout that will be part of the 2010 team and 2 picks to help them rebuild for 2010.

Why it was a good deal for the Jets short term.....

Fills in the one hole the Jets have for win now.

Jets down side......

Does the team have any draft picks left for 2010? Edwards contract is up at the end of the season, so the two picks was given up for 12 games. Plus he is facing a possible suspension. And has known to be a lockerroom problem.

Some mitigating factors to the downside.....

A suspension is a real possiblity, but at most I see it being a one game suspension. Would the trade really be much different if it was done one week later, for 11 games of service instead of 12....I don't think so.

He has an incentive to behave. He wants to be paid either by the Jets or in FA next year. And the team is better run than Mangini's which should keep him in line a bit better.

This was a good deal for the Browns long term and a good deal for the Jets short term.

Edwards was a cancer, his contract was up at the end of the year, he might be facing a suspension and his absense will not affect the Browns playoff chances. The Browns made out cause they have two additional picks a 3rd that could be come a 2nd and a 5th. It is unlikely Edwards was going to be part of the team n 2010, they now have a wideout that will be part of the 2010 team and 2 picks to help them rebuild for 2010.

Jets down side......

Does the team have any draft picks left for 2010? Edwards contract is up at the end of the season, so the two picks was given up for 12 games. Plus he is facing a possible suspension. And has known to be a lockerroom problem.

A suspension is a real possiblity, but at most I see it being a one game suspension. Would the trade really be much different if it was done one week later, for 11 games of service instead of 12....I don't think so.

He has an incentive to behave. He wants to be paid either by the Jets or in FA next year. And the team is better run than Mangini's which should keep him in line a bit better.

You crack me up. Have the Jets ever done anything good...ever? You are the least objective troll on this board.

Have you seen what the Jets have done the last few drafts? We dont care about stock piling doodoo only to get guys that dont make the roster like the Pats*. We go for talent we and do what we need to do to get it. We still have next years first and second.

And there isnt going to be a cap next year. And he's 26. And Randy Moss was a cancer too at one point in his career.

Your post is one huge FAIL.

You crack me up. Have the Jets ever done anything good...ever? You are the least objective troll on this board.

Have you seen what the Jets have done the last few drafts? We dont care about stock piling doodoo only to get guys that dont make the roster like the Pats*. We go for talent we and do what we need to do to get it. We still have next years first and second.

And there isnt going to be a cap next year. And he's 26. And Randy Moss was a cancer too at one point in his career.

and...we get our #1 priority in next years draft with a PROVEN player-Edwards has scored 25 TDs over the last 3 years. This is no "maybe he'll be good" guy or "I hope we can sign him" ala Crabtree deal. So we get a #1 WR and STILL have our #'s 1 and 2 that we would have surely spent one of them on at WR. Great deal for New York.

EDWARDS IS NOT AN UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENT AFTER THE SEASON!

So this claim that Edwards is here for 12 games is nonsense. Nonsense.

In order for Edwards to be a FA, there has to be a new CBA by March 2010. The NFL & NFLPA's aren't even talking yet.

Plus, if there is a new CBA and the Jets don't extend him, they can franchise him.

So please, Hoodie and anyone else coming up with the bogus 12 game argument. PLEASE STOP.

Did you actually read my post before responding? In fact I said it was a good trade for the Jets in the short term and fills the one missing piece the team has this year. I also explain why some of the down side is mitigated. In fact I think it was a smart move for BOTH teams.

Jets down side......

3659557199_cf6cf70932.jpg

Jets down side......

Does the team have any draft picks left for 2010?

Yes, lots of them.

Edwards contract is up at the end of the season, so the two picks was given up for 12 games.

Epic Fail. If you knew anything about the CBA, you'd know this isn't a problem. See SMC's post.

Plus he is facing a possible suspension.

This is a fair point, and one of my concerns.

And has known to be a lockerroom problem.

Link?

I'm not doing cartwheels over this trade, but maybe you should cite the actual downsides (drops, inconsistency), instead of manufactured and entirely unsupported ones that allow you to retain your undeservedly haughty attitude.

congrats to all the BE supporters, I was not one of them. I hope any pray edwards proves me wrong :cheers:

I'll say this, tanny has huge brass balls

I just heard about this, is it true he is in the last year of his deal and we did not extend him yet ?

Epic Fail. If you knew anything about the CBA, you'd know this isn't a problem. See SMC's post.

He will either be a RFA or UFA at the end of the season. None of us know one way for certain. But even if he is a RFA he is still a FA. RFA doesn't mean you can hold on to the player, it means you get a pick if more FA leave than new ones get signed.

He will either be a RFA or UFA at the end of the season. None of us know one way for certain. But even if he is a RFA he is still a FA. RFA doesn't mean you can hold on to the player, it means you get a pick if more FA leave than new ones get signed.

He'll likely be tendered at a 1st and a 3rd, which is fine with me.

That's completely inaccurate. What you're thinking of is the awards situation for compensatory picks. As far as RFAs, the team in question tenders the player at a certain level, each level costing a different amount and salary and thus having a different compensation involved. If any team tries to sign the RFA to a contract, the team is automatically required to give the original team compensation in the amount determined based on the tender given. Who else that team signs is completely irrelevant to the situation.

Therefore, if the Jets give Edwards the highest tender, a team who signs Edwards will have to give the Jets their 1st and 3rd round picks no matter what. Not a bad deal considering they're giving up a 3rd and 5th for him.

Archived