Good Glenn Foley article

GREENBEAN

I don't know if anyone saw this or not, but I figured I'd post it. I often wondered what happened to him. I had no idea what he went through.

Former Jets quarterback Glenn Foley is back from the darkness

BY James J. Parziale

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, October 10th 2009, 4:41 PM

alg_glenn_foley_then.jpg Widman/AP

Boston College product Glenn Foley spends five season with the Jets before being traded to the Seahawks in 1999.

amd_glenn_foley_now.jpg Mihalek/AP

Foley currently is a camp director at Valley Forge Military Academy in Wayne, Pa.

Related News

Glenn Foley suffered broken ribs, separated shoulders and concussions during his short stint in the NFL. But it was nothing compared to what he went through when his playing days were over. Nothing compared to the years of depression that crippled the former Jets quarterback.

"It wasn't really a rock bottom," said Foley. "It was more like a death of the soul. Something was being ripped from you that you've done for 30 years. You can't convince yourself to get off the couch."

Foley was selected by the Jets in the seventh round of the 1994 draft out of Boston College. The Cherry Hill, N.J. native spent five seasons with Gang Green, watching the Jets go from a 1-15 punch line in 1996 to a club that was just 30 minutes away from the Super Bowl in 1999.

Foley even opened the 1998 campaign as the Jets' starting quarterback, but injuries and his performance opened the door for Vinny Testaverde to claim the starting job. Still, Foley was upbeat, but when the Jets dealt him to Seattle in March of 1999, the blow sent him spiraling into darkness.

"You can't control what you're doing or what you're thinking," he said. "It was the shock and awe of 'what the hell am I going to do now? What am I?'"

Foley's marriage to his high school sweetheart fell apart. The couple had three children but now the family was broken. Foley was lost and needed help, and sought counseling, which he says changed his life.

"It was unfortunate that I lost that first marriage, but I never lost sight of the kids," said Foley who has since remarried and has a nine-month-old daughter with his second wife. "If it wasn't for them, who knows what have happened. I was in rough shape."

Foley now lives in South Jersey, just a mile away from his ex-wife and children, and is a camp director at Valley Forge Military Academy in Wayne, Pa., where he brings in former pros like Buffalo's Frank Reich and Boomer Esiason as mentors.

"There's no better feeling than teaching a kid something, watching him learn it, and then have him go do it on his own," said Foley. "That's what it's all about for me."

Foley also spends time with his Wings Foundation, an organization he founded that helps raise awareness to Polycystic Kidney Disease, a disease that forms cysts on the kidneys, causing them to become enlarged. Foley's mother suffered from the disease and eventually needed a kidney transplant.

"We're transforming the Wings Foundation, which originally was just PKD (awareness) and organ donation, (by) adding transplants to it," said Foley. "It's not just taking the organ out, but it's putting the organ in and saving the life of someone else or making their life a lot easier."

Foley returns to the Meadowlands from time to time to hang out with fans and hand out information on his foundation.

He was there when rookie QB Mark Sanchez upset New England in Week 2. And will be combing the parking lots on Nov. 1 when the Jets host the Dolphins, still spreading the word and telling his story.

And he'll do it with a smile on his face.

I don't know if anyone saw this or not, but I figured I'd post it. I often wondered what happened to him. I had no idea what he went through.

Former Jets quarterback Glenn Foley is back from the darkness

BY James J. Parziale

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, October 10th 2009, 4:41 PM

alg_glenn_foley_then.jpg Widman/AP

Boston College product Glenn Foley spends five season with the Jets before being traded to the Seahawks in 1999.

amd_glenn_foley_now.jpg Mihalek/AP

Foley currently is a camp director at Valley Forge Military Academy in Wayne, Pa.

Related News

Thanks for the post GREENBEAN.

Weak-minded fool. "Oh woe is me. Now only 50% of the people I meet treat me like a celebrity. And I'm not on tv every week anymore."

Boo friggin' hoo.

Glad his life is in order, but I so many of these brats have no idea what real problems are. It's like they live in another universe. Hey Foley, try worrying about how you're going to pay your heating bill this winter, like too many are going to in the coming months, and then get back to me about the "downward spiral" your life became because you weren't a celebrity NFL QB anymore.

Wife and healthy kids and he's so self-indulged he lets it go to sh**. What a friggin' girl.

Weak-minded fool. "Oh woe is me. Now only 50% of the people I meet treat me like a celebrity. And I'm not on tv every week anymore."

Boo friggin' hoo.

Glad his life is in order, but I so many of these brats have no idea what real problems are. It's like they live in another universe. Hey Foley, try worrying about how you're going to pay your heating bill this winter, like too many are going to in the coming months, and then get back to me about the "downward spiral" your life became because you weren't a celebrity NFL QB anymore.

Wife and healthy kids and he's so self-indulged he lets it go to sh**. What a friggin' girl.

I hear ya Sperm, but I work in the addiction field and one thing I've learned is that everyone's problems are the worst in the world. To them. I see people that sell their asses on the street and business men that lost a big account. They feel the same way. You're not wrong with how you feel. I'm not saying that. It's just that depression is depression. It's consuming.

Me? I think HEY MAN! You've only been associated with the Jets for 5 years. WHAT ABOUT US DAMMIT??? LOL

I'm happy he is feeling better and helping children. they ARE the future ya know. Just ask Bobby Brown's ex wife :)

Boo friggin' hoo.

So only the poor are allowed to be depressed?

Sperm is saying that only middle class white people know what real problems are.

Glenn Foley is middle class and white as far as I can tell.

(And please don't let that take away from any Sperm bashing I am enjoying that. I love when Sperm gets blasted...oh wait, nevermind).

Sperm is saying that only middle class white people know what real problems are.

What does Foley's skin color have to do with any of this? I never even alluded to it. That you came away from my post with anything even remotely involving race, the issue and obsession is yours, my friend.

And the guy lived better than most for years, going back to BC and was probably worshiped in HS as well. This is not someone I feel so badly for because his easy-life party ended, and he was too much of a self-absorbed meathead to not see the blessings and benefits life threw his way, starting with his own friggin' family.

"Who am I?" Good Lord, grow a pair.

Boo friggin' hoo.

sympathy never was your strong point huh?

depression is real my friend. it's not something that people just make up.

What does Foley's skin color have to do with any of this? I never even alluded to it. That you came away from my post with anything even remotely involving race, the issue and obsession is yours, my friend.

And the guy lived better than most for years, going back to BC and was probably worshiped in HS as well. This is not someone I feel so badly for because his easy-life party ended, and he was too much of a self-absorbed meathead to not see the blessings and benefits life threw his way, starting with his own friggin' family.

"Who am I?" Good Lord, grow a pair.

Not his skin color, yours.

If it wasn't a racket that robbed people blind, you wouldn't have a job.

Something else I learned was not to speak about things I know nothing about. I used to do that a lot. I had opinions about everything. It didn't matter if I knew about the subject or not. I formed an opinion and married myself to it. Oh how I yelled and argued.

The fact that I would not be alive without that racket nor do I rob people blind today while working 12-15 hour days forces me to believe that you are ignorant to the situation. Thanks for sharing though.

Something else I learned was not to speak about things I know nothing about. I used to do that a lot. I had opinions about everything. It didn't matter if I knew about the subject or not. I formed an opinion and married myself to it. Oh how I yelled and argued.

The fact that I would not be alive without that racket nor do I rob people blind today while working 12-15 hour days forces me to believe that you are ignorant to the situation. Thanks for sharing though.

My opinions are well-founded otherwise I wouldn't have said what I said. I'm far less ignorant about it than I care to be.

I've seen people die because they were forced to surround themselves with people who were just as ill as they were and it was considered 'treatment'. Sick people know how to be sick, but surrounding sick people with healthy people, what a concept. Sorry, but stripping people of their souls when they're trying not die and having them call themselves powerless worms who have no control over their lives isn't the path to wellness. Never was, never will be. You never hear about the individual success stories of people who manage mental illness or conquer and face their demons on their own because 1) it's threatening 2) it isn't sexy and 3) there's far more to be learned from it.

It's a very sore subject for me, and let me tell you, I'm no stranger to Dark Nights of the Soul. God blessed me with artistic talent because it was the only thing that no-one could ever take from me. I wouldn't change one thing about my past or my life, because then I wouldn't be me. I take the good with the bad, but everyone is 'depressed'. A lot of folks don't even know what that MEANS. They also just don't have balls enough to face a bad day without happy pills and call it just that: a bad day. I could pontificate more, but I think that's more than enough.

My opinions are well-founded otherwise I wouldn't have said what I said. I'm far less ignorant about it than I care to be.

I've seen people die because they were forced to surround themselves with people who were just as ill as they were and it was considered 'treatment'. Sick people know how to be sick, but surrounding sick people with healthy people, what a concept. Sorry, but stripping people of their souls when they're trying not die and having them call themselves powerless worms who have no control over their lives isn't the path to wellness. Never was, never will be. You never hear about the individual success stories of people who manage mental illness or conquer and face their demons on their own because 1) it's threatening 2) it isn't sexy and 3) there's far more to be learned from it.

It's a very sore subject for me, and let me tell you, I'm no stranger to Dark Nights of the Soul. God blessed me with artistic talent because it was the only thing that no-one could ever take from me. I wouldn't change one thing about my past or my life, because then I wouldn't be me. I take the good with the bad, but everyone is 'depressed'. A lot of folks don't even know what that MEANS. They also just don't have balls enough to face a bad day without happy pills and call it just that: a bad day. I could pontificate more, but I think that's more than enough.

Ok, this thread has taken a turn that doesn't necessarily belong on JN, but just to say a little bit on what you said if I may. First, I'm sorry that your knowledge of this topic is as extensive as you say it has been. I am in a similar boat. You said surrounding people with healthy people is a novel idea. Tell me where they are. I don't know really know any healthy people. Everyone seems crazy to me. :o)

The thing is that there is no fool proof cure for this type of thing, but I will say that if there are any people getting well doing anything than there is hope.Hope is what it's all about.

I for one went to many programs and did nothing that they told me to and found no solace. I blamed the program and called it useless BS. The truth was I was a stubborn thick headed guy who felt very comfortable in my anger. What they were telling me to do was change. i don't like change.

When I said ok to the lessons being taught, I got well. Does it work for everyone? Sadly it does not. I see more death than I care to mention. But there is at least a chance when someone gets into treatment.

I think you and I are more alike than the original posts suggested and I'm sorry if I offended. I have the ability to do that.

Ok, this thread has taken a turn that doesn't necessarily belong on JN, but just to say a little bit on what you said if I may. First, I'm sorry that your knowledge of this topic is as extensive as you say it has been. I am in a similar boat. You said surrounding people with healthy people is a novel idea. Tell me where they are. I don't know really know any healthy people. Everyone seems crazy to me. :o)

The thing is that there is no fool proof cure for this type of thing, but I will say that if there are any people getting well doing anything than there is hope.Hope is what it's all about.

I for one went to many programs and did nothing that they told me to and found no solace. I blamed the program and called it useless BS. The truth was I was a stubborn thick headed guy who felt very comfortable in my anger. What they were telling me to do was change. i don't like change.

When I said ok to the lessons being taught, I got well. Does it work for everyone? Sadly it does not. I see more death than I care to mention. But there is at least a chance when someone gets into treatment.

I think you and I are more alike than the original posts suggested and I'm sorry if I offended. I have the ability to do that.

You did not offend me in the least. I am very sorry if you are suffering. Cults were just never for me.

Read Albert Ellis. You CAN do it alone, but you will probably get stoned.

Archived