New York Jets vs. Miami Dolphins Game Thread

Maxman

MIAMI -- How do they get up off the mat?

That is perhaps the most compelling question to tonight's Jets-Dolphins AFC East showdown: How the Jets respond from their first loss of the season -- their first loss under Rex Ryan's leadership.

The Jets' feel-good 3-0 start was derailed by last week's 24-10 loss in New Orleans. The Dolphins halted their 0-3 start with a rout over the Bills last Sunday and saved their season, for the moment.

What gives tonight?

The Jets can truly separate themselves from their AFC East rivals with a win tonight, and that's not something lost on Ryan, who said, "This game counts as one-and-a-half games."

At the head of the list for Jets among those needing to bounce back is their rookie quarterback Mark Sanchez, who threw three interceptions and lost a fumble last week.

Because so many eyes are on the Jets to see how they'll respond to their first knockout, it was fitting that they invited boxing champion Floyd Mayweather to practice on Thursday to visit and speak to the team.

It was a page torn right out of the playbook of former Jets head coach Eric Mangini, who brought in a lot of boxers to speak to the players.

"I like when you get champions, great guys in the sports and entertainment field. I like when they come to practice,'' Ryan said. "It was great to see pound-for-pound the best fighter in the world come out and watch practice. His message was that he enjoys the way we play, our style of play.''

Here's how we see tonight's game breaking down:

BEST MATCHUP: Jets LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson vs. Dolphins DE Jason Taylor. Ferguson yielded two sacks last week in New Orleans. Taylor has three sacks this season and has been a terror against the Jets in his career.

WHAT'S THE RUSH?: The Dolphins own the No. 1-ranked rushing offense in the NFL, averaging 183.5 yards per game to their opponents' 61. They've run the ball 147 times to their opponents' 83 carries. They have 47 rushing first downs to their opponents' eight.

WILD TIMES: The Jets must do a better job slowing the Dolphins' "wildcat'' offensive formation. Miami has run it 29 times -- all runs -- and gained 211 yards for a 7.3-yard average. Ronnie Brown, their leading rusher, has gained 162 of his 369 yards on 21 "wildcat'' runs. Pursuit to the ball and sound tackling will be critical.

ONE-HANDED: If the Jets can limit the Dolphins' rushing attack, they can tie one hand behind the Dolphins' back, because inexperienced QB Chad Henne (24-of-41, 207 yards, 1 TDs, 1 INT) is not likely to carry the Dolphins to victory. The Jets' No. 1 goal on defense, other than forcing turnovers, is to put Henne in 3rd-and-long situations by stuffing the run on first and second down.

CATCH THIS: Even if the Jets aren't without their top WR Jerricho Cotchery (questionable with a hamstring injury), he won't be 100-percent. That leaves the Jets thin at receiver, with newcomer Braylon Edwards making his Jets debut after just three days of practice. Role players Brad Smith (3 catches), David Clowney (no catches) and Wallace Wright (no catches) will have to step up.

POSSESSIVE: The Dolphins' formula offensively has been to control the ball. Miami averages 35:58 per game in time of possession compared to their opponents' 24:03.

EFFICIENCY DEPARTMENT: The Dolphins are 54.1 percent on third-down conversions and 5-of-5 on fourth down -- both tops in the NFL.

FOE FACT: No regular receiver has an average per catch of more than 9.9 yards against the Dolphins.

JETS FACT: Kicker Jay Feely has made his last 20 field goal attempts, two shy of the team record 22 by Pat Leahy.

CANNIZZARO'S CALL: The Jets defense will stuff the Dolphins' run on early downs and force Henne into 3rd-and-long situations. The Jets will play a bit more conservatively with Sanchez and run as often as possible. It'll result in a tight game decided late on a Feely FG.

JETS 16, DOLPHINS 13

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the wife just said there is a chance of thunderstorms tonight-remember Christmas night a few years ago?

So glad I'll be watching at Hooters instead of that crap.

This game should be over by the end of the 3rd quarter if we play like we played Weeks 1-3.

Yeah I was there with great seats, pissed me off that I wasn't able to take pics

yea we had great seats that night too-we got them off of Ebay-those were the days when people down here actually had money.

Hey the heat index will make it feel like it's 90+ degrees until even after midnight-I am SO over this heat thing....cool front breaks on Saturday-just in time for our trip to NC.

yea we had great seats that night too-we got them off of Ebay-those were the days when people down here actually had money.

Hey the heat index will make it feel like it's 90+ degrees until even after midnight-I am SO over this heat thing....cool front breaks on Saturday-just in time for our trip to NC.

Yea its been crazy.. you know its hot when you sweat in the shade... i have been staying away from the beach lately because its been to dam hot to actually go there and be relaxed

CATCH THIS: Even if the Jets aren't without their top WR Jerricho Cotchery (questionable with a hamstring injury), he won't be 100-percent. That leaves the Jets thin at receiver, with newcomer Braylon Edwards making his Jets debut after just three days of practice. Role players Brad Smith (3 catches), David Clowney (no catches) and Wallace Wright (no catches) will have to step up.

haven't they read the same things we have about the similarities in the systems for edwards ?

I think they will go to him a lot, and he will produce

reading that I thought it was from a dolphins beat writer. NY writers suck unless they are writing about the yankees or giants

We win this game and basically the afc east playoff contenders are just us and the pats. with the phins and bills at 1-4 and the jets at 4-1 with the pats at 3-2 I dont see the phins or bills contending at all.

It's a long season, anything can happen, especially in this division. Injuries are part of the game, but they are a b!tch.

Anybody down for the game i have 1 ticket upstaires(not in the jet fans section)..It's my brother-in-laws season ticket ,but he's sitting downstairs with me..Just pm on here, and i'll be checking on my iphone. Any memeber of jetnation gets it for less then face..Just pm me and i'll give you my iphone number and tell you where to meet up with me at the staium..I really don't want to sell it to a fish fan.

Thanks

Fatty

This is going to be a interesting game tonight.

If the Jets win they go to 4-1 and take control of the divison.

Miami wins they get to 2-3 and suddenly are just a game behind the Jets and Pats.

I can't see the Jets losing tonight though. I think the running game kicks in tonight. They get Pace back on defense and Ryan has shown how to stop the Wildcat.

Jets 24

Fish 10

May I ask why? Miami is 2nd in the NFL in run defense.

Archived