Dolphins, Jets don't reflect the same philosophies

SoFlaJets

By ARMANDO SALGUERO

asalguero@MiamiHerald.com

Peel off the uniforms, yes, even the pumpkin orange ones the Dolphins are wearing Monday night, and suddenly the two teams seem surprisingly similar.

The Dolphins and Jets both have unproven quarterbacks, both have snarling defenses, mammoth offensive lines, passionate head coaches and a physical style of play that's as subtle as a brick.

The Dolphins and Jets are almost mirror images because neither has won a Super Bowl in more than a generation, both are perennially chasing the Patriots, and both think pretty highly of themselves and their chances this year.

But dig beyond those visible similarities on display Monday before a national cable TV audience and you can finally unearth the distinguishing factor that most separates Miami and New York:

No, not good Cuban food.

Philosophy.

Even though their front offices are similarly rooted -- as New York general manager Mike Tannenbaum worked for Dolphins football czar Bill Parcells years ago -- the Jets and Dolphins have a different view of how to chase a title.

The Jets?

They're about winning now. Every major personnel move they have made the last 18 months screams they are chasing a chance at not just any Super Bowl, but the next Super Bowl.

``If giving away draft picks to move up to No. 5 [in the first round] wasn't evident enough, I don't know what other indicator the rest of the league needs to realize we're trying to win this year, and it's not a rebuild and build for the future type of deal,'' New York's Bart Scott proclaimed this week.

The Dolphins also want to win now. But study their approach under Parcells and general manager Jeff Ireland and the moves speak of a guarded, steady, logical pace that refuses to mortgage the future for the present.

Sure, coach Tony Sparano wants to win the AFC East this year every bit as much as he did last year, and wants to win Monday's game every bit as much as Jets coach Rex Ryan.

But part of Sparano's job is to balance what he wants today versus what everyone wants tomorrow.

NOW OR LATER?

``When I'm talking to Jeff Ireland or when I'm talking to Bill and we're talking about future, I can't get [build for the future] out of my mouth because I'm worried about now,'' Sparano said. ``I would say when we came here and put this together, we knew in order for us to change the culture the way we really wanted to change the culture, that it would take us a little while to do that.

``I think every time you go out there, it's a win-now deal. No question about that. But in order for us to get where we want to go, and even after last year, we haven't come full circle yet. We still have a ways to go.''

And so the Jets and the Dolphins, so similar in so many ways, approach team building from opposite poles.

The Dolphins have added only one free agent over 30 years old since Parcells came to town -- and that's only because Jason Taylor agreed to play well below his market value. The strategy in Miami is to sign free agents who can help this year, but will still be playing at a high level in four or five years.

The Jets don't live by such constraints. They signed guard Alan Faneca and right tackle Damien Woody when they were over 30. Last year they traded a third-round pick for then-38-year-old Brett Favre.

The Dolphins view their future draft picks like gold in a skyrocketing market. The Jets see their future draft picks as chips to be played for the benefit of the present.

So this week New York traded two picks (that could be as high as a second and a fifth) plus two players for receiver Braylon Edwards.

``I want to win now,'' Ryan said. ``In my opinion, I think it's a cop-out for any team to say, `We got a four-year program.' Well, how convenient, your contract is four years or whatever.

``We're going for the Super Bowl championship, and I don't care if people [say] `That's ridiculous.' I think it's ridiculous that you'd have any other goal in mind.''

NO QUICK FIX

The Dolphins studied Edwards, according to Sparano, and despite needing receiver help, decided he wasn't a fit. The Dolphins opted not to go for the quick fix even when their 1-3 record suggests they need exactly that.

``What I believe is the players I have right now are the right 53 players, and I believe this football team is good enough to compete at that level,'' Sparano said. ``I don't like talking about it a whole lot, but I do believe this football team is good enough to win our division and give us a chance to go play in the tournament and see what happens.

``But I also know that the cycle that it takes to change the culture completely doesn't get done in one year. These other teams that had good years like we did last year might tell you different, but we think it takes longer to get this thing turned completely the way you want it turned. And we're doing it.''

What is the Fins' "philosphy"? Because acquiring talent sure isn't part of it.

They have one of the lesser talented rosters in the NFL and only had success last year because of a gimmick offense (necessitated by their lack of talent).

I stopped reading when the writer claimed that we're ALL about "winning now". I agree with it to an extent, but at least half of Tannenbaum's moves have been about getting quality players that will be here longterm. Trading up doesn't mean you are trying to "win now", nor does stockpiling picks mean you are necesarrily good at building a team for the future.

Trading up for Mark Sanchez isn't a "win now move", nor was trading up for Revis, David Harris, or Dustin Keller. This is just an example of Mike T. knowing who he wants and getting them. It also displays superior scouting and recognition of personnel that fits our needs.

Sure, getting Calvin Pace, Bart Scott, Kris Jenkins, Tony Richardson, Jim Leonhard, Lito Sheppard and Braylon Edwards were moves to help this team win presently. But we also expect most of the guys we sign or trade for to be here a few years. I don't anticipate Scott (29) or Edwards (26) to be gone after 2-3 seasons.

I think Tannenbaum has put together a healthy balance of veterans and young players, and he has done very well in not trading away TOO much to get these guys. After all, we still have our 1st rounder and will likely have our 2nd rounder in 2010, too. We're not exactly the Redskins.

here's bill parcells version of "stockpile draft picks" for the NYJ in 97 and 98

1997 passes on Orlando Pace :face: Also, no peyton manning because parcells couldn't promise archie he wouldn't trade the pick so PM stayed in school :confused0058:

1 8 James Farrior OLB Virginia

2 31 Rick Terry DT North Carolina

3 88 Dedric Ward WR Northern Iowa

4 102 Terry Day DE Mississippi State

4 104 Leon Johnson RB North Carolina

5 131 Lamont Burns G East Carolina

5 145 Ray Austin DB Tennessee

6 164 Tim Scharf Northwestern

6 191 Chuck Clements QB Houston

7 202 Steve Rosga DB Colorado

7 229 Jason Ferguson DT Georgia

2 56 Dorian Boose DE Washington State

3 67 Scott Frost DB Nebraska

3 87 Kevin Williams FS Oklahoma State

4 111 Jason Fabini T Cincinnati

5 134 Casey Dailey LB Northwestern

5 141 Doug Karczewski G Virginia

5 146 Blake Spence TE Oregon

5 149 Eric Bateman -- Brigham Young

6 163 Eric Ogbogu DE Maryland

6 174 Chris Brazzell WR Angelo State

6 183 Dustin Johnson RB Brigham Young

7 195 Lawrence Hart TE Southern University

by my count that is 2 very good (farrior and fabini) and 3 legit NFL starters (johnson, ward, ferguson ) out of 23 picks

I'll take sanchez, edwards, greene and keller over that group anyday

here's bill parcells version of "stockpile draft picks" for the NYJ in 97 and 98

1997 passes on Orlando Pace :face: Also, no peyton manning because parcells couldn't promise archie he wouldn't trade the pick so PM stayed in school :confused0058:

1 8 James Farrior OLB Virginia

2 31 Rick Terry DT North Carolina

3 88 Dedric Ward WR Northern Iowa

4 102 Terry Day DE Mississippi State

4 104 Leon Johnson RB North Carolina

5 131 Lamont Burns G East Carolina

5 145 Ray Austin DB Tennessee

6 164 Tim Scharf Northwestern

6 191 Chuck Clements QB Houston

7 202 Steve Rosga DB Colorado

7 229 Jason Ferguson DT Georgia

2 56 Dorian Boose DE Washington State

3 67 Scott Frost DB Nebraska

3 87 Kevin Williams FS Oklahoma State

4 111 Jason Fabini T Cincinnati

5 134 Casey Dailey LB Northwestern

5 141 Doug Karczewski G Virginia

5 146 Blake Spence TE Oregon

5 149 Eric Bateman -- Brigham Young

6 163 Eric Ogbogu DE Maryland

6 174 Chris Brazzell WR Angelo State

6 183 Dustin Johnson RB Brigham Young

7 195 Lawrence Hart TE Southern University

by my count that is 2 very good (farrior and fabini) and 3 legit NFL starters (johnson, ward, ferguson ) out of 23 picks

I'll take sanchez, edwards, greene and keller over that group anyday

But would you look at that DEPTH! It's like stepping in a foot of ****.

Archived