ROLLE signs with the ravens.....

spjets

Ravens sign CB Rolle

Former Titan among best free agents available this offseason

By Jamison Hensley

Sun Staff

Originally published March 7, 2005, 3:36 PM EST

Highly-regarded cornerback Samari Rolle reached an agreement with the Ravens on Monday.

After failing to finalize a deal with Kansas City over the weekend, Rolle visited the Ravens complex and took a physical, a sign that the talks were becoming serious. Considered by many as the best free agent available this offseason, Rolle has garnered the reputation of being one of the NFL's premier defenders

The Ravens will announce the signing at a 5:15 p.m. news conference.

The eight-year veteran would represent a significant upgrade over Gary Baxter, who bolted for the Cleveland Browns on Friday after his agreement with the Ravens broke down. Baxter was always seen as a hybrid of a corner and a safety while Rolle is a pure cover guy.

A Pro Bowl defender in 2000, Rolle has made 23 career interceptions and has broken up 43 other passes. He would team with Chris McAlister for a formidable starting cornerback duo.

It is believed that the Ravens would offer a signing bonus in the $10 million to $12 million range.

This would represent a surprising reversal since it had been assumed Rolle would sign with the Chiefs a couple days ago. But Kansas City's worries centered on a spine condition (stenosis), which was discovered during a routine physical administered during Rolle's visit there.

Rolle, who turns 29 in August, was involved in two separate incidents regarding neck and spine injuries during his seven-year stay in Tennessee. Ravens officials, though, had no issues with his physical.

The spinal condition aside, Rolle should have several good seasons left. He missed the most games of his career last season, when he was sidelined five games because of a left knee injury. He is believed to be recovered after having surgery on it this offseason.

An incident that could have also scared some teams away was Rolle's Feb. 15 arrest on a domestic assault charge. It stemmed from a Valentine's Day altercation that left his wife, Danisha, with a cut over her left eye that required three stitches. His court date is April 6 in Franklin, Tenn., with a maximum sentence of 11 months and 29 days plus a fine.

His wife accompanied him on his trip to the Ravens complex today.

Nice signing. Rolle is actually better than Baxter. That's much better than Kelly Herndon.

In a league where the bump and run has been minimized somewhat. Having Samari Rolle as your 2nd best CB is pretty awesome.

If Kyle Boller doesn't screw this up and Jamal Lewis stays out of jail and injured reserve. Baltimore has to be considered a legitimate contender for the superbowl.

BTW, this is exactly why I wanted the Jets to sign Pat Williams .. same principal .. Super Unit

DE John Abraham

DT Pat Williams

DT DeWayne Robertson

DE Shaun Ellis

That's what I had in mind ... same principal, only on the D-Line ... Super Unit

The Pat Williams thing still eats at me. He was such the easy answer. Why don't we ever do things the easy way?

YIKES!! :shock: The Ravens just shot right past the Patriots as the front runners for the AFC this season. That is one impressive defense they're putting together and it looks like their offense might not be too shabby either.

YIKES!! :shock: The Ravens just shot right past the Patriots as the front runners for the AFC this season. That is one impressive defense they're putting together and it looks like their offense might not be too shabby either.

This just in...

The Steelers have added a new play to their playbook. "Ben will throw a screen pass to himself at least 3 times a game to keep the ratbird secondary from killing Ward alone". :roll:

Another bad news thread for us.

Any chance that we can get Law / Smoot? I know I've heard we are talking with Law's agents or something along those lines, are talks heating up at all? Anybody know? Any chance on Smoot?

i have a bad feeling they wont get either one...

Another bad news thread for us.

Any chance that we can get Law / Smoot? I know I've heard we are talking with Law's agents or something along those lines, are talks heating up at all? Anybody know? Any chance on Smoot?

Can you say, best secondary in the NFL?

McAlister-Rolle-Reed.

Pro Bowl-Pro Bowl-Pro Bowl.

Apparently there are no worries in SteelerNation. We are getting the great Cedric Wilson to help Ward and El combat that secondary. :lol::lol::lol: ........................................ :cry::cry::cry:

RALEIGH, North Carolina (Reuters) - Former all-pro cornerback Samari Rolle has agreed to a six-year deal with the Baltimore Ravens, the team said Tuesday.

Rolle, who played with the Tennessee Titans last year, accepted a $30.5 million contract that included an $11 million signing bonus, the Baltimore Sun reported.

He will replace Gary Baxter, who signed with the Cleveland Browns.

Two other former Titans also agreed deals Monday. All-pro Kevin Carter signed a five-year, $30 million contract with the Miami Dolphins and starting right tackle Fred Miller agreed to a five-year, $22.5 million deal with the Chicago Bears.

Meanwhile, defensive end Chike Okeafor of the Seattle Seahawks agreed to a five-year contract with the Arizona Cardinals. Financial terms were not available.

Archived