The Eating Crow/Silver Lining Thread

Jetsfan80

Let's start with eating crow.....

The Dolphins are a far better team than I gave them credit for, and Chad Pennington getting hurt has left them in much better shape than they were with him. They beat us fair and square last night, and had we won, the controversial pass interference call probably would have been credited as the reason we won.

Chad Henne looked for real, and its because of him and Ronnie Brown that the AFC East is now a 3-horse race, as it probably should have been all along. I bashed Miami as much as anyone on this board and expected a victory by at least 10 points, and was dead wrong. The Dolphins did to us what they did to the Colts a few weeks prior, using that Miami humidity to their advantage to tire us out, and we didn't have Peyton Manning to squeak out the win. Our defense looked pedestrian, and Calvin Pace's return turned out to be a non-factor.

On the positive end of things.

1) Braylon Edwards is a monster. While its a concern that Sanchez wasn't really looking off of him at times, its great to finally have a blanket receiver here again.

2) The D isn't terrible, no need to hit the panic switch. The Dolphins have completely perfected the wildcat since Rex Ryan last faced them in the postseason last year. We will adjust accordingly, and they won't the benefit of homefield advantage the next time we face the Phins.

3) We have the Bills and Raiders up next. I'm fully confident we beat both teams and stay atop the AFC East. If this is the worst our defense plays this season, I'm not going to kill them for this performance.

Too many people around here are going off the deep end. We knew this team would have some struggles, and this was simply one of those games where we got outplayed. It doesn't mean our season is over or we're not a contender. It DOES mean that Miami IS, however.

Sorry.

I'm not willing to give Miami that much credit.

Sure, they pushed us around with Polite/Fasano/OL, etc.

But let's not forget we played our worst game on defense — by far. It was 90-plus degrees with 100 percent humidity. We were on the road on MNF. The Phins were going into a bye-week.

With everything stacked in their favor, the defending AFCE champ is supposed to win that game.

After watching the first quarter, I was actually surprised the game went down to the wire.

We will absolutely wreck Miami in the rematch — I have absolutely no doubt about that.

Don't get me wrong, I was probably as pissed off as Matt39 WHILE the game was going on. However, as much as it pained me to do it, I made sure to shake the hands of the 2 Dolphin fans that were in the bar where I was watching the game after it was over. No need to cry over spilled milk or think the sky is falling. Miami absolutely deserved this win and we absolutely deserved a loss.

Doesn't mean I won't be talking trash all over again three weeks from now, however.

I'm not saying Miami didn't earn it, but they held a number of advantages which we held no control over.

It will be the same case in New Jersey, with those advantages going in our favor.

However, I don't think it will come down to a game-winning TD with 5 seconds left. We take this one with us

Pains me to say it, but the phucking phins beat the Jets' collective asses last night. This is not a whining excuse post from me, just my own hope for a "silver lining."

I hope that game was a learning experience, and that our new coach demonstrates the ability to learn. We got beat on the ground in an ugly fashion, and you can bet that Miami won't be the only team that tries to beat us that way moving forward. You can bet Belichick took notes. He practically beat himself by abandoning the run in the Pats' visit here.

It was Braylon's first day as a Jet, and he was incredible. Let's hope that's a sign of things to come. NY is his best chance for the stardom and contract he wants, and from yesterday's performance it looks like he's willing to earn it all.

Calvin Pace was not up to speed at all last night. He arrived here as a better run defender than pass rusher, and he needs to get into midseason form in a hurry.

Sanchez was looking for a bounce back game and had it. Shame it was wasted in a loss. He managed to perform well with Edwards as his only viable receiver. Cotchery probably shouldn't've suited up, and Keller was mysteriously absent.

Bill Callahan (our resident rushing genius) and our overhyped OL need to get the running game clicking on all cylinders. If it takes more Greene, Washington, Brad Smith, etc., it doesn't matter - whatever it takes, they have to get it untracked. Sanchez needs the help, and last night the defense needed it, too.

Let's start with eating crow.....

The Dolphins are a far better team than I gave them credit for, and Chad Pennington getting hurt has left them in much better shape than they were with him. They beat us fair and square last night, and had we won, the controversial pass interference call probably would have been credited as the reason we won.

Chad Henne looked for real, and its because of him and Ronnie Brown that the AFC East is now a 3-horse race, as it probably should have been all along. I bashed Miami as much as anyone on this board and expected a victory by at least 10 points, and was dead wrong. The Dolphins did to us what they did to the Colts a few weeks prior, using that Miami humidity to their advantage to tire us out, and we didn't have Peyton Manning to squeak out the win. Our defense looked pedestrian, and Calvin Pace's return turned out to be a non-factor.

On the positive end of things.

1) Braylon Edwards is a monster. While its a concern that Sanchez wasn't really looking off of him at times, its great to finally have a blanket receiver here again.

2) The D isn't terrible, no need to hit the panic switch. The Dolphins have completely perfected the wildcat since Rex Ryan last faced them in the postseason last year. We will adjust accordingly, and they won't the benefit of homefield advantage the next time we face the Phins.

3) We have the Bills and Raiders up next. I'm fully confident we beat both teams and stay atop the AFC East. If this is the worst our defense plays this season, I'm not going to kill them for this performance.

Too many people around here are going off the deep end. We knew this team would have some struggles, and this was simply one of those games where we got outplayed. It doesn't mean our season is over or we're not a contender. It DOES mean that Miami IS, however.

Excellent post.

A couple of other positives:

Sanchez bounced back pretty well from his Saints game disaster. He still needs to be more consistent (better play calling from Shotty would help), but he specifically improved the areas that were disasterous in the Saints game. No picks, no fumbles, no sacks, surveyed the field better).

Pace was obviously and understandably rusty. He will be much better.

They "discovered" Clowney. 4 passes. 4 catches (including possession plays, not just the bomb). And I don't think the Phins had any UPS drivers in their secondary.

I think (hope) Shotty is realizing Thomas Jones is done (the TDs were nice - but the guy is dead between the 20s). Leon played more and Greene is getting some carries. The less Jones is on the field, the better this offense will be.

Archived