Jets Add Another Receiver

SoFlaJets

by David_Wyatt on Oct 15, 2009 1:47 PM EDT

Number 83 jogged out onto the practise field today in Florham Park, with Chansi Stuckey being traded to the Cleveland Browns, his number 83 had become vacant and there was a surprise body in the jersey today, as current or maybe now former RB and fan favourite Danny Woodhead was working out with the wide receivers.

Now Rex Ryan has yet to comment on this, but we should know more later today. However there could be one of two reasons why Woodhead was working out at the receiving position.

We could of A) made the decision that he has no future in the NFL as a running back, so we are trying to catch lightning in a bottle by turning him into a slot receiver. Or B) with Brad Smith and Jerricho Cotchery out today for the second straight day, we are in dire need of some extra bodies at the wide receiver position. Or I guess alternatively we could be doing both.

Danny Woodhead has to be one of the most popular player in Jets franchise history to have never made any real contribution on the NFL field but still be adored by Gang Green Nation.

Some have questioned his size limitations, but Wes Welker is one of the best slot receivers in the game, and he stands at just 5'9, a single inch taller than Woodhead. In fact Woodhead is listed at a even 200lb's, where as Welker is 185lb's.

So it is possible. I quite like this move, he is elusive and quick, maybe we may have something special. Lets wait and see.

by David_Wyatt on Oct 15, 2009 1:47 PM EDT

Number 83 jogged out onto the practise field today in Florham Park, with Chansi Stuckey being traded to the Cleveland Browns, his number 83 had become vacant and there was a surprise body in the jersey today, as current or maybe now former RB and fan favourite Danny Woodhead was working out with the wide receivers.

Now Rex Ryan has yet to comment on this, but we should know more later today. However there could be one of two reasons why Woodhead was working out at the receiving position.

We could of A) made the decision that he has no future in the NFL as a running back, so we are trying to catch lightning in a bottle by turning him into a slot receiver. Or B) with Brad Smith and Jerricho Cotchery out today for the second straight day, we are in dire need of some extra bodies at the wide receiver position. Or I guess alternatively we could be doing both.

Danny Woodhead has to be one of the most popular player in Jets franchise history to have never made any real contribution on the NFL field but still be adored by Gang Green Nation.

Some have questioned his size limitations, but Wes Welker is one of the best slot receivers in the game, and he stands at just 5'9, a single inch taller than Woodhead. In fact Woodhead is listed at a even 200lb's, where as Welker is 185lb's.

So it is possible. I quite like this move, he is elusive and quick, maybe we may have something special. Lets wait and see.

Midget Wildcat???

He's on the practice squad, I would hope even a Phin an can figure out he meant the active roster.

I see that now.

I thought he was bumped to the roster, thats why the thread was started.

He has been on your PS since September...according to wiki tho, so take that for what its worth.

Having Woodhead in the slot would be good if he can catch but we really need to pick up another WR in case of any more injuries.

Anyone have a list of unsigned WRs?

I don't think they'll add anybody, unless somebody they like is kicking around on a practice squad. They are still carrying Marcus Henry on the PS. They probably are trying Woodhead because Henry is anothe big gooch that isn't well suited to the slot. Remember that Wallace Wright is still on the team even if he isn't getting any run at wideout. Too bad Allison got hurt, I liked him and he was at least an NFL WR.

Woodhead's New Role

Another element of today's practice was the "new guy" wearing No. 83 among the wide receivers.

It was Danny Woodhead.

"It kind of all happened fast," Woodhead said with a smile. "I got a call from my running backs coach [Anthony Lynn]. He told me they're going to try me out there. "I'm out there to do whatever the coaches want me to do. This is not a 'me' thing. Any way I can help us out, I'm going to help us out."

Woodhead is still on the practice squad at the moment, but Ryan said with Jerricho Cotchery (hamstring) and Brad Smith (quadriceps) not practicing again today, you never know.

"I think we're looking at him as he might give us a better option right now if our receivers our down. There's a chance Jerricho and Brad won't play. He could be a slot receiver," Ryan said. "Sometimes you stumble into it, but he did a great job being Wes Welker when we were preparing for New England. When we put him in the slot, he was tough, he really was."

Plus, Ryan said what many observers were thinking when trying to see where Woodhead would fit in a backfield with Thomas Jones, Leon Washington and third-round rookie Shonn Greene.

"We've got three really good tailbacks," the coach said, "so I think when you look at that, maybe his best shot might be to learn receiver. He might be one of those jack-of-all-trade guys who becomes really valuable that way."

Woodhead said he's ready to roll, even though he traded in his running back No. 22 for Chansi Stuckey's old number beginning today.

"It's fun. Playing's fun," said the former record-setting Chadron State running back who rushed for 1,597 yards as a senior but also had 38 catches for 484 yards that year. "I'm honestly comfortable catching the ball. It's not something I haven't done."

As for his 5'9", 195-pound size, some thought it was too small for an NFL running back and perhaps those same folks think it's too small to be an effective pro wideout. But to those skeptics, Woodhead can only shrug.

"People are going to say that," he said. "That's been the story my whole life. I'm too small for pretty much everything."

Excepting carving out a pro career day by day, position by position, with the Jets.

By the way, Welker is listed at 5'9", 185.

I see that now.

I thought he was bumped to the roster, thats why the thread was started.

He has been on your PS since September...according to wiki tho, so take that for what its worth.

We have some bad trolls around here but you are really bad. Borderline awful.

Archived