Child, Please! Ochocinco Helps Bengals Avoid Blackout

jaspegs

He is awesome.

CINCINNATI -- Chad Ochocinco is taking some of the credit for the fact that Bengals fans in this area will be able to see the team play on TV on Sunday, and it appears he does have something to do with it. On Thursday the Bengals asked for (and got) a one-day extension of the league's deadline for selling out Sunday's home game against the Houston Texans. Had they not done so by Friday afternoon, the game would have been blacked out in the local market. And as of Thursday night, about 3,000 tickets remained unsold.

But at 1:08 p.m. Eastern time, Ochocinco announced on his Twitter page that he and Motorola had bought the remaining tickets and would be giving them away. Problem solved.

"Attention: On behalf of Motorola and Esteban Ocho Cinco we've purchased the remaining tickets for Sundays game= no blackout" the announcement read. It was followed by a tweet that told followers to "stay tuned" to find out how to get the tickets. Four minutes later came this:

"Again there will be no blackout this Sunday, special thanks to Motorola and The Interesting One"

He does keep things interesting, and for a while this seemed as if it were just Ocho being Ocho. But the Bengals release announcing the sellout confirms their star receiver's involvement. It appears he aided in the purchase of 1,200 of the remaining tickets.

"Motorola will give away 1,200 tickets (600 pairs of tickets) to Bengals fans for free, starting at 11:30 am Saturday at the North Ticket Office at Paul Brown Stadium," the release reads. "Motorola is a long-time sponsor of the Bengals and has a newly aligned partnership with Bengals WR Chad Ochocinco."

Ochocinco has recently been using his Twitter account as a way to give away things to fans. He's met people out for dinner at local restaurants, and later Friday night he's offering free tickets to the first 40 people to join him at a showing of "Law Abiding Citizen" at an area movie theater.

Earlier in the day, when Ocho was speaking about the way in which he's using Twitter to distribute free stuff, a Cincinnati reporter asked him for a quote about it. As expected, he delivered one:

"Oprah who?" he said.

The guy is still irritating to me. "Esteban OchoCinco"? Srsly? :face:

He wants to be a star but lacks the presence or looks of one so he resorts to lame tactics like name changes and other bull. He's such an attention whore. Had he done this for the good of it and not the press then it would be fine. But this is clearly an attention whoring tactic.

The "Interesting One", please, he's not that interesting, he just spews garbage all day long and the sheep are amused by it. He's so ignorant it's embarrassing.

Good for the people of Cincy but he still annoys me.

He wants to be a star but lacks the presence or looks of one so he resorts to lame tactics like name changes and other bull. He's such an attention whore. Had he done this for the good of it and not the press then it would be fine. But this is clearly an attention whoring tactic.

The "Interesting One", please, he's not that interesting, he just spews garbage all day long and the sheep are amused by it. He's so ignorant it's embarrassing.

He didn't announce it, like a true attention whore would. Motorola did.

He didn't announce it, like a true attention whore would. Motorola did.

He announced this on his Twitter didnt he?

Attention: On behalf of Motorola and Esteban Ocho Cinco we've purchased the remaining tickets for Sundays game= no blackout" the announcement read. It was followed by a tweet that told followers to "stay tuned" to find out how to get the tickets. Four minutes later came this:

"Again there will be no blackout this Sunday, special thanks to Motorola and The Interesting One"

I doubt Motorola would dub him "Esteban Ochocinco"

There was already a post about "Estaban Ochocinco the most intresting footballer in the world" as I said in that post he has never done anything illegal or even questionable he understands the game is about entertainment and it is a business and to keep it thriving he tries to help out with the entertainment value, granted getting exposure and attention for himself. If you take the things serious and it annoys you then he is not for you but I don't think his character should ever be in question this is another example of him being charitable and interacting with the fans in a very positive way.

I thought twitter wasn't a public announcement. Do we have to revisit that discussion?

I guess so.

David Clowney didnt not make a public announcement on behalf of the New York Jets organization or any other business. He made a comment on his twitter account to his "followers" and some pathetic A-hole who's life is to blow things out of proportion for other pathetic people to ravish over decided to present it to Rex.

Maybe if Rex got our Defense together for football games, instead of worrying about what David Clowney posted on his twitter account the Jets would be 4-1 instead of 3-2. I mean IT DID LOOK LIKE David Clowney showed up for the Game as a player but Rex didnt as a coach. You know,.....not calling timeouts, not putting Westerman in the game to see what fits against the wildcat etc. While Rex was listening to what people were putting on Twitter, Westoff and Shotty was keeping us in the game offensively.

Let me stop before this is considered a public announcement and Rex puts me on "fan punishment".

Oh, and you're right. Twitter isnt a "Public Announcement", its a "free social networking and micro-blogging service". Some businesses like Motorola (which anything it states IS a public announcement) utilize Twitter's service to implement its public announcements because its a BUSINESS.

David Clowney is a PERSON that at that time wasnt representing a business. There's a difference.

I agree. He's meeting the first 40 fans tonight at the theatre to give them all free tickets and to watch that new Gerald Butler/Jamie Foxx movie with him. I think the interaction between the fans is a pretty cool thing especially in Cinci, better than some of his other teammates, i.e. Chris Henry.

Attention whore or not I find him funny, he may be ignorant but he brings something to the off the field aspect of the sport besides DUI's.

You act like its the right of a fan to get anything from these guys. Clowney doesn't have to go bowling with you.

(unless u were joking)

How did his post make it sound like we have a "right" to get anything from them?

Point is, DLJ, Chad understands that his fans sacrifice a lot of time and money to watch him play a kid's game on Sundays. He then goes out of his way to give back to these same fans, and he does so in a very creative fashion.

Perhaps other players will take his lead and do the same, more often.

How did his post make it sound like we have a "right" to get anything from them?

Point is, DLJ, Chad understands that his fans sacrifice a lot of time and money to watch him play a kid's game on Sundays. He then goes out of his way to give back to these same fans, and he does so in a very creative fashion.

Perhaps other players will take his lead and do the same, more often.

I didnt knock what Chad did for the fans, I said it was good for them. However I still find his attention whoring ways annoying.

No game should ever be blacked out. A player shouldn't have to buy the tickets, the team on its own should know enough to give them away. I guess the worry is that fans will always refuse to buy those last tickets, expecting tickets to be given away for free, but if you're getting blacked out anyway, it'll be tough to have a fanbase and a home field advantage so there are cons to everything.

There was already a post about "Estaban Ochocinco the most intresting footballer in the world" as I said in that post he has never done anything illegal or even questionable he understands the game is about entertainment and it is a business and to keep it thriving he tries to help out with the entertainment value, granted getting exposure and attention for himself. If you take the things serious and it annoys you then he is not for you but I don't think his character should ever be in question this is another example of him being charitable and interacting with the fans in a very positive way.

good point. he hasnt done anything illegal or questionable.

I still dont like him and his antics, but can understand why some do.

he hasnt done anything illegal or questionable.

Make me wonder why we drafted him. LOL

I still dont like him and his antics, but can understand why some do.

His schtick really doesn't sit well with me either, but giving what else he does on and off the field, I can let it slide.

I can't help but laugh at the guy but maybe that's because I take what he says with a grain of salt. And attention whore or not, the guy helped stop the game from being blacked out. That is awesome.

No game should ever be blacked out. A player shouldn't have to buy the tickets, the team on its own should know enough to give them away. I guess the worry is that fans will always refuse to buy those last tickets, expecting tickets to be given away for free, but if you're getting blacked out anyway, it'll be tough to have a fanbase and a home field advantage so there are cons to everything.

The whole blackout thing has to be the dumbest rule in the NFL. What are they going to show instead.. golf? Child, please.

The whole blackout thing has to be the dumbest rule in the NFL. What are they going to show instead.. golf? Child, please.

The purpose of the blackout rule is so that team's don't get stuck with empty stadiums because people know they can sit home and watch the game on TV. It makes sense and probably made a hell of a lot more when the contract was signed and ticket sales, concessions and parking were probably a bigger part of team's revenue. The owners don't give a **** if the network has to show golf. They already got their (TV) money and are covering their own asses.

Archived