Bucs trade former #4 pick DE Gaines Adams to Bears

Bleedin Green

Source: Adams headed to Bears

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers traded defensive end Gaines Adams to the Chicago Bears for a 2010 draft pick, a team source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Adams was chosen fourth overall in the 2007 NFL draft. He signed a six-year deal worth $46 million, with $18.6 million guaranteed. He led all 2007 rookies with six sacks.

Already trading a top 5 pick at the beginning of his 3rd year? Yikes. I wonder what that cap hit is going to look like.

if 6 sacks in rookie season and 6.5 in second season is bust status? what the hell is Gholston gonna be considered after this year?

13.5 sacks since he's been drafted by Tampa with the 4th overall pick. You don't think he's a bust? Gholston is awful. I rather have a wet paper towel than him.

The truth of the matter is that Adams, though very streaky, has shown some incredible flashes in that time. The dude never took the time to develop much of a power game, and the Gholston comparisons are kind of valid in the sense that he figured he could get by on sheer athletic ability alone in the NFL. The good news, for him, is that the Bears defensive line has been playing really well this year and it has a good veteran core to help him immediately (ironically being coached by Rod Marinelli). Great trade for Chicago IMO. Totally worth risking a 2nd rounder on.

It's normal for us to compare players. I would have traded Ghoulston straight up for Adams. That's an easy trade. Adams has had more production. Ghoulston has looked better this year then last. But lets be honest. He really only had one place to go. How much worse could he look.

I don't know if Adams would really have anything more to contribute in Ryan's defense. Adams has tried to get by on finesse without using any power, and Gholston's tried getting by on sheer power without finesse. You're basically choosing between the lesser of two evils at that point, but for this D I'd take the latter.

The funny thing is the second I posted this thread I knew it was going to turn into an all-out Gholston discussion. We Jets fans are a predictable group.

One way or another, Jets fans will always find a way to talk about Pennington or Gholston. ;)

Any one think we can do the same with Gholston? :P

Gholston is going to be on the Jets until 2012. At that point his cap hit will drop to $3,600,000. Right now if we could find someone to trade with the cap hit would be $14,000,000 next year it will be in the area of $12,000,000.

Rex must be heart broken about him. He gave him every chance to become the elite pass rusher the Jets desperately need. If he had shown any kind of fire in the pass rush he would still be getting a good bit of reps with Pace.

During the week the Jets said that Westerman would be active this week. Westerman in 1 game has a sack, one of only 4 the team has, and two pressures. If Westerman shows anything this week in the pass rush, and I think he will, Gholston will become the highest paid ST

Gholston is going to be on the Jets until 2012. At that point his cap hit will drop to $3,600,000. Right now if we could find someone to trade with the cap hit would be $14,000,000 next year it will be in the area of $12,000,000.

Rex must be heart broken about him. He gave him every chance to become the elite pass rusher the Jets desperately need. If he had shown any kind of fire in the pass rush he would still be getting a good bit of reps with Pace.

During the week the Jets said that Westerman would be active this week. Westerman in 1 game has a sack, one of only 4 the team has, and two pressures. If Westerman shows anything this week in the pass rush, and I think he will, Gholston will become the highest paid ST

Adams is young and somewhat proven but it was a really good trade for the Bucs. On their side it makes sense because they want to rebuild and a second round pick doesn't get paid too much. Adams probably wasn't a fan favorite because of his high draft status and the corresponding high expectations that come with it so he probably won't be missed much. But the bears have already given up so many picks for Cutler and now will be without a pick on day one. While Gaines will certainly help, their defense needs more then him and he represents a big salary cap hit.

Archived