Jenkins doesnt plan to retire after season. per twitter

Mandarinia

Good news.

I guess this is a good opportunity to say something about the 3-4 defense. I love it on the field, but damned if it ain't tough to fill the nose tackle position. Then if you have a nose tackle go down it changes the whole complexion of the defense. Basically it's a great D (IMO) but it's so heavily reliant on the NT that it is dangerous. Even if Jenkins is back next year, who takes his place in 11 and going forward? We've got to try to draft a similar type of player THIS YEAR, to spell him and to eventually replace him. Are there any players in the draft like that?

If you look ahead to the draft, we don't have many picks but we're mostly filled up with starters anyway so we have the luxury of going for depth if we want. We've got a young QB, RBs, WRs (maybe could use a #3 but not too important), TE, LT, C, RG, MLB, OLB, DBs, etc.

So this year I say we can afford to focus on the lines almost completely: big time 3-4 NT (if available), a DE or two, a right tackle and/or a left guard. Let's say we go ahead and fill just ONE of those positions in free agency then we're really only in NEED of 3 or 4 positions tops.

Good news.

I guess this is a good opportunity to say something about the 3-4 defense. I love it on the field, but damned if it ain't tough to fill the nose tackle position. Then if you have a nose tackle go down it changes the whole complexion of the defense. Basically it's a great D (IMO) but it's so heavily reliant on the NT that it is dangerous. Even if Jenkins is back next year, who takes his place in 11 and going forward? We've got to try to draft a similar type of player THIS YEAR, to spell him and to eventually replace him. Are there any players in the draft like that?

If you look ahead to the draft, we don't have many picks but we're mostly filled up with starters anyway so we have the luxury of going for depth if we want. We've got a young QB, RBs, WRs (maybe could use a #3 but not too important), TE, LT, C, RG, MLB, OLB, DBs, etc.

So this year I say we can afford to focus on the lines almost completely: big time 3-4 NT (if available), a DE or two, a right tackle and/or a left guard. Let's say we go ahead and fill just ONE of those positions in free agency then we're really only in NEED of 3 or 4 positions tops.

Very well put. NT IS the key to the 3/4. We HAD one of the best, now we have garbage :( . I just hope someone steps up. I don't want to see a repeat of the fiasco we had on D last year when Jenkins went down.

Good news.

I don't think that the Rex 3-4 is as NT dependent as the Parcells/Belichick/Mangini system. It's still great to have a beast in the middle, but I think Ryan plays more diverse fronts (at least that Mangini) and lets the NT/DT one gap and penetrate instead of constantly trying to stand up blockers and muck things up. I honestly did not notice any appreciable drop-off after Jenkins went down. I expected a disaster and did not witness one.

I don't think that the Rex 3-4 is as NT dependent as the Parcells/Belichick/Mangini system. It's still great to have a beast in the middle, but I think Ryan plays more diverse fronts (at least that Mangini) and lets the NT/DT one gap and penetrate instead of constantly trying to stand up blockers and muck things up. I honestly did not notice any appreciable drop-off after Jenkins went down. I expected a disaster and did not witness one.

I noticed that also.

But then, this was the Bills OL.

They probably even would have had some sacks if Harvard wasn't such a good runner.

Oh wait, he went to harvard?? From the commentary I had absolutely no idea :rolleyes:.

I agree with everything the OP said about our draft, except that I believe TE is our need. I think an inline blocking TE who can catch as well is definitely needed. I'm not talking a first rounder like Jermaine Gresham, but someone like Kevin Boss who you can block, but doesn't have feet for hands.

Archived