Murrell and Ihedigbo fined and benched

jokerjet

We caught up with DB James Ihedigbo, who had that silly unsportsmanlike penalty on the opening kickoff of overtime that backed the Jets up 14 yards. He threw an elbow at the Bills' Derek Fine -- Murrell also appeared to take a shot at him prior to Ihedigbo -- and Ryan indicated Monday that Ihedigbo could be facing some disciplinary action from the team.

Well, turns out Ihedigbo and Murrell were fined $5,000 each by the league and the plan is for them to be inactive and not travel with the team to Oakland.

After reviewing the play in film study, Ihedigbo, who we spoke to before we learned of the fines, said he was a bit taken aback at what he did.

"I just looked at it like, 'Whoa, did I really do that?' " Ihedigbo said. "It's uncharacteristic for me as a person to even attempt to do something like that. So I lost my cool for a split second. That happens in a game, especially in overtime when it's a heated situation and we're trying to get the score to win. That stuff, it happens and you've got to learn from it and move forward."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/the-boone-docks-1.1279166

I don't get it. Two players, regardless of how stupid, don't throw back to back punches without a reason.

Are you kidding? It's football. Guys are so amped up they'd punch their own mother in the face. Especially on kickoffs. Not everybody has impulse control and this coaching staff didn't exactly seem to be discouraging this sort of thing.

Are you kidding? It's football. Guys are so amped up they'd punch their own mother in the face. Especially on kickoffs. Not everybody has impulse control and this coaching staff didn't exactly seem to be discouraging this sort of thing.

let me rephrase. What I'm saying is unusual is for two players, back to back, to take swings at one guy without a good reason for it. Fine must have done something that I didn't see.

let me rephrase. What I'm saying is unusual is for two players, back to back, to take swings at one guy without a good reason for it. Fine must have done something that I didn't see.

Unusual? Maybe, but sometimes you see one guy take a swing and you back up your man and hit that target. Even if your teammate is in the wrong. Shame the guy lost his helmet. That made everything worse.

Completely disagree. Either channel or control your emotions or find another line of work. To take a 15 yard penalty like that is sheer selfish stupidity. To do it on an OT kickoff on a windy day when field position is key is grounds to be cut.

Completely disagree. Either channel or control your emotions or find another line of work. To take a 15 yard penalty like that is sheer selfish stupidity. To do it on an OT kickoff on a windy day when field position is key is grounds to be cut.

What do you disagree with? Of course it was a stupid unacceptable penalty. My point wasn't that it's okay, it was that it wouldn't be shocking if they didn't have a reason to go off. I would imagine that if they did Ihedigbo would have shared it instead of paying a fine, taking a "suspension" and calling his mother to apologize.

Making him sit a game? This isn't high school, it hurts the team because of his contribution on special teams. He going to get paid so how is this worth anything?

It doesn't make sense..How about pace's dumb ass penalty that gave the Bills a first down that led to the game winner..that was pathetic.

You betcha. The guys not Einstein but I can fully understand doing something like that on impulse when you're that fired up. His explanation confirms it. I don't like it either and it hurt our chances bigtime. Hopefully he learned from it.

Dude, your signature is the most disturbing thing I have ever seen. I love it !

Archived