Newsday.com moves to subscriber model

Lil Bit Special

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/newsday-com-moves-to-subscriber-model-1.1539582

eginning Wednesday, most of Newsday.com content will only be available to subscribers of Optimum Online, Newsday, or those willing to pay for it.

Those who are not customers of Optimum Online or the newspaper - both owned by Bethpage-based Cablevision Systems Corp. - will have to pay a $5 weekly fee. However, nonpaying customers will have access to some of newsday.com's information, including the home page, school closings, weather, obituaries, classified and entertainment listings. There also will be some limited access to Newsday stories.

Newsday described the move as one that would create a "pioneering Web model," combining the newspaper's newsgathering services with Cablevision's electronic distribution capabilities. About 75 percent of Long Island households are Newsday home delivery or Cablevision online customers or both, according to Newsday. Optimum Online customers total 2.5 million in the New York area, the paper said.

"We are excited about this model because in addition to a unique ability to immediately reach about 75 percent of Long Island households, we believe the hyper-local approach is right for Long Island," said Debby Krenek, Newsday managing editor and senior vice president/digital.

The new strategy comes as newspapers have been scrambling to replace the advertising-based model after years of steep revenue decline. Charging viewers for online content has been debated in the newspaper industry in the past few years.

Jack Myers of Jack Myers Media Business Report, a Manhattan-based economic research firm, said, "In the long term, it's a zero-sum game. Basically what you are doing is you are shutting off younger audiences from getting access and becoming fans of your content, so it strikes me as a pretty short-term protective measure that will be a great case study for the industry."

However, John Morton, head of the Morton Research Inc., a Silver Spring, Md.-based media consulting firm, said the current model of free online content is not a "rational model."

"Despite the false premise that has been floating around for the last 19 years, that information on the Internet wants to be free, [it] is just not true," Morton said. "People have always been willing to pay for information they have felt was useful to them."

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/your-new-newsday-com-1.1539681

Dear Reader,

Starting next Wednesday, your Newsday subscription will be even more valuable. Beginning Oct. 28, we will provide newsday.com as an exclusive benefit for Newsday home delivery and Optimum Online customers at no additional charge.

Approximately 75 percent of Long Island households are already Newsday home delivery and / or Optimum Online customers and will enjoy unlimited access to newsday.com, as will all of Cablevision

I sent a response to Rod Boone on twitter. Basically saying, nice knowing you.

It is pure arrogance, they think they can control things. They are wrong. Murdoch believes the same thing (I think). Embrace the new way of the world and figure out how to profit from it.

Instead they insist on trying to force things in a direction that benefits them (and only them). I don't feel sorry for any of them. Had any of these guys done it right, today they would be an unstoppable force. The Post, Daily News, Newsday -- they embrace change when they are forced to and that is why they are suffering.

I sent a response to Rod Boone on twitter. Basically saying, nice knowing you.

It is pure arrogance, they think they can control things. They are wrong. Murdoch believes the same thing (I think). Embrace the new way of the world and figure out how to profit from it.

Instead they insist on trying to force things in a direction that benefits them (and only them). I don't feel sorry for any of them. Had any of these guys done it right, today they would be an unstoppable force. The Post, Daily News, Newsday -- they embrace change when they are forced to and that is why they are suffering.

Max, you should know that pay-per-click advertising doesn't get you that far (at least not anymore). Also, any kind of advertising that delays the reader from getting to the content will usually result in the reader moving on to new content.

I'm not saying what they're doing is right, I just don't see how they can make money any other way.

They might get more subscribers if they actually produced good news stories. The less people read Newsday the better.

"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper. "

"I do not take a single newspaper, nor read one a month, and I feel myself infinitely the happier for it."

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers."

~Thomas Jefferson

They might get more subscribers if they actually produced good news stories. The less people read Newsday the better.

"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper. "

"I do not take a single newspaper, nor read one a month, and I feel myself infinitely the happier for it."

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers."

~Thomas Jefferson

So true.

Max, you should know that pay-per-click advertising doesn't get you that far (at least not anymore). Also, any kind of advertising that delays the reader from getting to the content will usually result in the reader moving on to new content.

I'm not saying what they're doing is right, I just don't see how they can make money any other way.

They could have embraced the new way of the world. Put everything online. Use social media to drive traffic to their website. Take Newsday, NY Post and the Daily News. Not all of them would have survived either way. But you take the one that embraced things first and they would have had a leg up.

Instead 4 years ago Rich Cimini was doing online chats here because the Daily News was sleeping. But hey, they have heard about twitter now and even though they are using that wrong they at least know it exists. :-P

I wonder how much money they spend on actually printing a physical paper, and if they got rid of all the overhead associated with that and redoubled their efforts as an online news agency would they be more profitable?

A really cool idea would be for someone to the first online only news network, forget the production costs of on air content, studios and everything associated with putting news on tv or print, and just pay good journalists to write good engaging content. Then use the blog format to engage the audience in discussion like the blogosphere does. I am talking about real journalistic news reporting here, not crap like the huffington post.

They could have embraced the new way of the world. Put everything online. Use social media to drive traffic to their website. Take Newsday, NY Post and the Daily News. Not all of them would have survived either way. But you take the one that embraced things first and they would have had a leg up.

Instead 4 years ago Rich Cimini was doing online chats here because the Daily News was sleeping. But hey, they have heard about twitter now and even though they are using that wrong they at least know it exists. :-P

They know it exists because their 15 year old kids are all over it and talk about it at the dinner table, lol.

I wonder how much money they spend on actually printing a physical paper, and if they got rid of all the overhead associated with that and redoubled their efforts as an online news agency would they be more profitable?

A really cool idea would be for someone to the first online only news network, forget the production costs of on air content, studios and everything associated with putting news on tv or print, and just pay good journalists to write good engaging content. Then use the blog format to engage the audience in discussion like the blogosphere does. I am talking about real journalistic news reporting here, not crap like the huffington post.

Why not get rid of the paper. Give out kindles or a kindle type device with a years subscription and distribute the paper online and that way. Saves the cost of running the printing of the paper.

Online only news reporting is kind of a scary thought. Along the lines of "who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past" type stuff. How easy would it be for governments to edit and censor that? Although it's not as if these mainstream media papers aren't their propaganda machines right now. Very interesting times we're in.

I don't think a physical paper is as irrelevant as you both think. I know it's taken a serious beating, but there are still a lot of jobs out there where people don't sit behind a computer. I know this is anecdotal, but my father still grabs the paper every morning and takes it to work with him. He's a small business owner and doesn't have internet in his store (costs of installing to a business are prohibitive, and it wouldn't help the business at all). Without an actual paper, you leave him, and I assume there are many like him, cut off.

I'm not arguing that internet is not 'the future, man', but I think that there are a lot of people who still benefit from 'the old way'.

Further, the social media solution, is more targeted towards my generation. Only problem is, research shows that my generation just isn't keeping up with the news. For a great read: Generation Me. It's not because it's on paper, it's because as a whole, we don't really care. We're the least involved generation politically, EVER. We're pretty big on TMZ though.

The point being, Max, I believe you are in the minority, of people in their mid-40s (?) who are comfortable, even confident on twitter. You have embraced the new technology, and you're a generation (to a generation and a half) below the people who are probably the biggest consumers of news, those people absolutely are not on twitter.

agree

tortoise_Hare1.jpg

Online only news reporting is kind of a scary thought. Along the lines of "who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past" type stuff. How easy would it be for governments to edit and censor that? Although it's not as if these mainstream media papers aren't their propaganda machines right now. Very interesting times we're in.

That is what the waybackmachine is for. It keeps everyone honest. :-$

I don't think a physical paper is as irrelevant as you both think. I know it's taken a serious beating, but there are still a lot of jobs out there where people don't sit behind a computer. I know this is anecdotal, but my father still grabs the paper every morning and takes it to work with him. He's a small business owner and doesn't have internet in his store (costs of installing to a business are prohibitive, and it wouldn't help the business at all). Without an actual paper, you leave him, and I assume there are many like him, cut off.

I'm not arguing that internet is not 'the future, man', but I think that there are a lot of people who still benefit from 'the old way'.

Further, the social media solution, is more targeted towards my generation. Only problem is, research shows that my generation just isn't keeping up with the news. For a great read: Generation Me. It's not because it's on paper, it's because as a whole, we don't really care. We're the least involved generation politically, EVER. We're pretty big on TMZ though.

The point being, Max, I believe you are in the minority, of people in their mid-40s (?) who are comfortable, even confident on twitter. You have embraced the new technology, and you're a generation (to a generation and a half) below the people who are probably the biggest consumers of news, those people absolutely are not on twitter.

First I am only 2 months into my forties. Get that wrong again and I will show you how the new world works when I ban your a$$, lol.

Second point I want to address: Small business owners can install (bandwidth) for phones and internet for $99 per month. That includes unlimited calling. Not for everyone but it is pretty cheap.

Next -- I do agree that newspapers aren't going away completely. I never said they are irrelevant, I still buy it at times. What we will see is less choices. Newsday will go away completely because with no supplement coming in from online viewing they will operate at a loss.

You definitely nailed the generational thing though. People are starting to embrace the power though. Funny thing is the Corporate world is filled with people in their mid 50's that sit in on meetings and webinars all day about social media. You can actually make money doing social media webinars. Ironic in a way.

It amazes me that these companies think signing up for twitter and facebook and making posts about what they have is enough. There missing the whole point.

First I am only 2 months into my forties. Get that wrong again and I will show you how the new world works when I ban your a$$, lol.

Second point I want to address: Small business owners can install (bandwidth) for phones and internet for $99 per month. That includes unlimited calling. Not for everyone but it is pretty cheap.

Next -- I do agree that newspapers aren't going away completely. I never said they are irrelevant, I still buy it at times. What we will see is less choices. Newsday will go away completely because with no supplement coming in from online viewing they will operate at a loss.

You definitely nailed the generational thing though. People are starting to embrace the power though. Funny thing is the Corporate world is filled with people in their mid 50's that sit in on meetings and webinars all day about social media. You can actually make money doing social media webinars. Ironic in a way.

See, and I thought you were close to 50.

Thats right Max, you tell the young whipper-snapper. By the way, here is that picture of you and I from the movies the other night:

6a00c10e0f6746d3b400c22529f4338fdb-320pi

Let me tell you something I may be old but I am not old enough to act like I enjoyed that Paris movie, haha.

emesola So am I gonna have to pay for @rodboone 's tweets now??

JetNation No offense but we will get 140 char updates & premium links. Pass. RT @rodboone No, you will not. Another reason to make sure you follow me.

rodboone Sorry you feel that way, but not everyone does.

rodboone Guess no one has been paying attention and hasn't heard about layoffs at NYT and Star Ledger?

JetNation @rodboone Rod it is a tough situation I am not saying it isn't-You seem to be handling it with class I just disagree with Newsdays decision.

emesola So am I gonna have to pay for @rodboone 's tweets now??

JetNation No offense but we will get 140 char updates & premium links. Pass. RT @rodboone No, you will not. Another reason to make sure you follow me.

rodboone Sorry you feel that way, but not everyone does.

rodboone Guess no one has been paying attention and hasn't heard about layoffs at NYT and Star Ledger?

JetNation @rodboone Rod it is a tough situation I am not saying it isn't-You seem to be handling it with class I just disagree with Newsdays decision.

uh ok,,wtf is this??

who are these peeps and what does this dialouge mean? Please provide a Max Universal translator

uh ok,,wtf is this??

who are these peeps and what does this dialouge mean? Please provide a Max Universal translator

Thats Max and Boone going back and forth on Twitter. The Bold in the beginning is who is saying it.

emesola is JetsBabe.

A writer for Newsday who Tweets. Thought you knew that part, my bad.

I guess Newsday has bigger problems than we thought if people don't know their writers pre-subscriber model. I guess the transition just got a bit easier for them.

Archived