Leon's Career in jeopardy

CobraVerde

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football...washington.html

New York Jets RB Leon Washington out for year with serious leg injury, could threaten career

BY Rich Cimini

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Jets running back Leon Washington is helped off the field after suffering a broken leg. Said one player, "I could see blood spurting out. I've never seen anything like that before."

How will losing Leon Washington for the season affect the Jets?

OAKLAND - The Jets' season was rocked with another bad injury Sunday at the Oakland Coliseum.

Jets RB Leon Washington is out for the season after breaking his right leg today against the Raiders. Washington suffered a fractured fibula that required emergency surgery. According to players, the bone broke through the skin. One player said, "I could see blood spurting out. I've never seen anything like that before." It could be a career-threatening injury.

An unidentified player landed on Washington's leg as he went down awkwardly, one of those cover-your-eyes plays. Teammates immediately motioned to the sideline for medical help.

Washington was carted off the field.

If he's sideline for a lengthy period, Washington will be second-guessed for not accepting the Jets' proposed contract extension. The deal that was on the table at the end of the preseason included $5 million in guarantees, plus another $5 million guaranteed for injury protection.

Washington rolled the dice, deciding to play out the final year of his current deal ($535,000). Under the current CBA, he will be a restricted free agent.

I am gonna merge this with the other Leon thread. This article by Cimini is disappointing though. To speculate about the guys career at this point is something you would expect from a message board. Not a beat writer.

Disappointing Rich.

elaborate...Do you mean you have confidence he'll come back and play great next year or he'll be back this year?

He can't comeback this year. I hope he comes back next year determined more than ever. Sucks for him that he won't be getting the contract that he wants.

Cimini? What a classless douchebag he is.

What did he do? He only stated fact. He didnt offer is opinion. We all know that we want Leon to be healthy and to come back, but most of us one way or another have thought about what if he signed that contract earlier.

Sometimes you have to compromise, especially when its still a pretty good opportunity in regards to financial protection. Alot of people think that his agent (and him) was being a bit greedy for guy who isnt a starter...though that wasnt my opinion, Im more concern about the football aspect of things. Though I must say I did pay attention to that given that it was mentioned.

I really hope he pulls through. If Joe Theisman can, so and the most electrifying lil man we have.

Bottom line guys is this is career threatening. I know about these types of injuries and the severity of it is alarming (bone snapped and popped through skin)..

It will be nothing short of a miracle to have Leon 100% even after he's fully healed. His agility and speed will take a hit. I doubt he'll ever be the same, his career might not be ending but we will likely never see the Leon that we all fell in love with. The juking,darting,zigging and zagging are not going to be as crisp, he will lose some of that which will hinder the very reason why Leon was so successful.

It's awful and it's very saddening at this point but even if he plays he'll likely never be the same guy.

I'm devastated!

What did he do? He only stated fact. He didnt offer is opinion. We all know that we want Leon to be healthy and to come back, but most of us one way or another have thought about what if he signed that contract earlier.

Sometimes you have to compromise, especially when its still a pretty good opportunity in regards to financial protection. Alot of people think that his agent (and him) was being a bit greedy for guy who isnt a starter...though that wasnt my opinion, Im more concern about the football aspect of things. Though I must say I did pay attention to that given that it was mentioned.

I really hope he pulls through. If Joe Theisman can, so and the most electrifying lil man we have.

Theismans career ended because of this injury.

I think, cause that's why I was bothered by it, is the mention with a headline of "CAREER POSSIBLY OVER" is what was dooshie.

Bottom line guys is this is career threatening. I know about these types of injuries and the severity of it is alarming (bone snapped and popped through skin)..

It will be nothing short of a miracle to have Leon 100% even after he's fully healed. His agility and speed will take a hit. I doubt he'll ever be the same, his career might not be ending but we will likely never see the Leon that we all fell in love with. The juking,darting,zigging and zagging are not going to be as crisp, he will lose some of that which will hinder the very reason why Leon was so successful.

It's awful and it's very saddening at this point but even if he plays he'll likely never be the same guy.

I'm devastated!

Yes it happened to Tyrone Protho at Bama...most exciting player they

ever had...

when u hit your knees 2nite say an extra prayer..miracles happen

Thats f'king stupid Rich. I'm a few hours shy of my shingle in orthopedic surgery - but having broke and smashed a major leg bone before - I know once its set correctly the callous that will build around where the bone broke (even compound) will leave it 2x the diameter and will insure that bone will likely never break there again. So will Leon's injury be psychological? I don't think so - the guys got the heart of a lion. He'll be back stronger than ever.

I'm devastated!

A compound fracture doesn't make it any more severe of a break, the only thing it does is add a chance of infection. What do you know about these types of injuries?? I see them all the time, and fibula breaks are about the best bone to break when it comes to a leg injury... I fail to see how you can make an assumption that it's career threatening based on only knowing it was a fibula fracture.

I mean i guess i can see your point if you mean every break is considered career threatening, but as of now, knowing that it was just a broken fibula, one can't speculate on whether or not it's career threatening.

Thats f'king stupid Rich. I'm a few hours shy of my shingle in orthopedic surgery - but having broke and smashed a major leg bone before - I know once its set correctly the callous that will build around where the bone broke (even compound) will leave it 2x the diameter and will insure that bone will likely never break there again. So will Leon's injury be psychological? I don't think so - the guys got the heart of a lion. He'll be back stronger than ever.

I really do hope so bro... dammit I hope so!!

I've had pretty much this exact same leg break (Broken fibula, broke through skin) and I'd say I've pretty much fully recovered and had after about 7 months.

The psychological thing can't be underestimated though, it's a pretty traumatic experience. Not sure about the medical side of things but I'm sure with the work Leon will be putting into getting healthy that he could certainly come back as good as ever.

I've had pretty much this exact same leg break (Broken fibula, broke through skin) and I'd say I've pretty much fully recovered and had after about 7 months.

The psychological thing can't be underestimated though, it's a pretty traumatic experience. Not sure about the medical side of things but I'm sure with the work Leon will be putting into getting healthy that he could certainly come back as good as ever.

i take it u still run a 4 4 skippy

A compound fracture doesn't make it any more severe of a break, the only thing it does is add a chance of infection. What do you know about these types of injuries?? I see them all the time, and fibula breaks are about the best bone to break when it comes to a leg injury... I fail to see how you can make an assumption that it's career threatening based on only knowing it was a fibula fracture.

I mean i guess i can see your point if you mean every break is considered career threatening, but as of now, knowing that it was just a broken fibula, one can't speculate on whether or not it's career threatening.

My whole point is is that I think he'll still be able to play (my gut) but he won't be the same, the stress he puts on ligaments/joints and pressure on his legs is extreme. The cuts on a dime, the sudden jolts in different directions are going to cause stress. My general thinking here is he won't be the same. The lasting long term effects could definitely hinder his ability going forward.

Archived