***OFFICIAL 2009 WORLD SERIES GAME THREAD- Philadelphia Phillies v NY Yankees***

Vudu

I respect your opinion but you might be the only one in the world that thinks the Phillies are much better then the Yanks. They might be better, and we'll find out soon enough, but they're not much better.

I appreciate that, its just looking at the numbers here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/batting?team=phi&season=2009&seasonType=2&split=0&type=exp

They had 5 guys with around 100 or more RBIs, and have carried that heat into the playoffs, as opposed to the yanks, who have been cold save for a-rod.

They've relied too much on the long ball to bail them out, and have not been able to put together long rallies (except the 6 runs scored against the angels in game 5).

Girardi really needs to sit some of the non-producers, just to shake things up, or this will be over quickly. ;(

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/batting?team=phi&season=2009&seasonType=2&split=0&type=exp

They had 5 guys with around 100 or more RBIs, and have carried that heat into the playoffs, as opposed to the yanks, who have been cold save for a-rod.

They've relied too much on the long ball to bail them out, and have not been able to put together long rallies (except the 6 runs scored against the angels in game 5).

Girardi really needs to sit some of the non-producers, just to shake things up, or this will be over quickly. ;(

I would say poor base running, and errors by opponents propelled the yanks more so then the long ball.

Phillies have played mistake free tonight.

I could not disagree with what you have written in this thread anymore.

You are a Yankee fan?

You are a Yankee fan?

Since 1977, when i went to my first game at the stadium.

The difference in past years when the team made the series was they had a swagger, a confidence that they just knew they would win, and that was that.

It is clearly missing from their faces right now, and their flailings at the plate are just grating. I think whiffer, who might have been a positive clubhouse influence during the season, is like a cancer now, and should have been pulled.

I miss the days when they had such a deep bench, when guys like oscar gamble could come off the bench in late innings to provide some pop. Who do we have now, Gardener, who looks like he could hit a ball about 75 feet...

You are a Yankee fan?

Nearly forgot to mention, as far as the lack of rallies, iirc they had a game in the playoffs with i think 4 solo HRS, and still lost. Had they been able to sustain rallies, i.e, have people down the order like cano and whiffer actually keep the rally going, they would have been obliterating teams, especially the angels.

Admittedly, i do not watch them alot anymore, but from what i've seen Cano is probably the world's best hitter when you are up or down by 9 runs.

I miss clutch players like brosius and o'neill, who would not have left so many people on base.

I think the Yankees...no, Yankees fans...underestimated Cliff Lee. Dude was DEALING yesterday. I have a feeling things will be back to normal tonight.

Give credit where credit is due. I know it's hard to fathom, but perhaps Cliff Lee deserves the recognition for pitching a hell of a game last night.

Tonight's lineup. Molina catching for Posada. Hariston in right, Swisher sits.

YANKEES

Derek Jeter SS

Johnny Damon LF

Mark Teixeira 1B

Alex Rodriguez 3B

Hideki Matsui DH

Robinson Cano 2B

Jerry Hairston RF

Melky Cabrera CF

Jose Molina C

Pitching: RHP A.J. Burnett (0-0, 4.42 ERA in postseason)

PHILLIES

Lineup TBA

Pitching: RHP Pedro Martinez (0-0, 0.00 ERA in postseason)

Max,

In response to your tweet last night about crowd noise.

I think it has less to do with the price of them and type of people going and more to do with how the new one is built. Unlike the old stadium the 2 upper decks aren't hanging right over the field. They are pushed way back compared to Old Yankee Stadium.

Max,

In response to your tweet last night about crowd noise.

I think it has less to do with the price of them and type of people going and more to do with how the new one is built. Unlike the old stadium the 2 upper decks aren't hanging right over the field. They are pushed way back compared to Old Yankee Stadium.

Tonight will be a good test. It will be loud (hopefully).

YES said that this home plate ump Jeff Nelson had the largest strike zone on the crew. I originally thought that would be bad because it was good for Pedro. But it looks like AJ is off to a good start so hopefully the larger strike zone helps the Yankees.

I know Molina handles AJ better than Posada, and Posada isn't exactly knocking the cover off the ball, but given how anemic the offense is, why is molina in this game? They need every ounce of "O" punch they can get...

Shyte, they are facing Howard with men on 1st and 2nd... ;(

Ooooh good he "Swishered".... ;) yanks r up.

Archived