Its Official..Even Rex cant fix 'The Ghoul'

SouthernJet

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OLB Vernon Gholston barely got on the field. Rookie Jamaal Westerman was used ahead of him as a rusher on passing downs.

Disappointing... But I have to agree.

If the guy's not getting a lot of reps in a 38-0 game, it's clear that his time in this league is short.

Disappointing... But I have to agree.

If the guy's not getting a lot of reps in a 38-0 game, it's clear that his time in this league is short.

What a terrible pick. Teams need to stop taking workout warriors. There are a ton of freakish athletes in the world, but there aren't that many top football players because it takes certain skills to make it. Brock Lesnar is a hell of an athlete but he couldn't make the Vikings squad. I'd say Gholston has less physical talent and even less football skill and ability than Lesnar.

What a terrible pick. Teams need to stop taking workout warriors. There are a ton of freakish athletes in the world, but there aren't that many top football players because it takes certain skills to make it. Brock Lesnar is a hell of an athlete but he couldn't make the Vikings squad. I'd say Gholston has less physical talent and even less football skill and ability than Lesnar.

Over-rated State University

I mean, the guy did put up a lot of sacks, he also beat up J.Long quite a bit. I understand the pick more than a lot of people seem to, but I get your point.

I agree with BZ though, it seems like the experiment is over, and my guess is he's on the roster 1 more year, and then dropped. Though, without a CBA, I don't know how that would change things.

Unfortunate though, because if he was what we'd hoped, him and Pace would be dangerous.

431340201.jpg

sublamjons81.jpg

blairthomas.jpg

faurot

amd_faurot-team-photo.jpg

2acf87073e_jetsb10022009.jpg

Awesome, you missed a few though. Actually, unfortunetly, you missed alot.

Gholston blows. I think everybody seen this coming. Just didn't think he'd be this bad.

Tanny is a great drafter though, and he'll learn from this debacle. He'll be the last workout wonder we draft.

I am quite sure he is a bust, but they should make a decision at the end of this year. I assume, if next year does not have a cap, then they would take advantage and trade/cut him this offseason and take the hit. If there is a cap, we are stuck with him for awhile.

Then, of course, he could come on before the year is through. But don't hold your breath. This guy has zero instincts and plays incredibly soft. Those are not usually traits that get fixed with some experience.

James Farrior

Calvin Pace

Bryan Thomas

Mike Vrabel

Hugh Douglas

"Alex, who are draft picks that took years to become NFL impact players?"

Who are draft picks that were all drafted below Vernon Gholston who were still significantly better than him early in their careers?

Rookie Year:

Farrior: 70 Tackles, 1.5 Sacks, 2 FFs

Pace: 32 Tackles, 1 Sack (4.5 sacks in his 2nd year)

Bryan Thomas: .5 sacks (With Abraham and Ellis as starters)

Mike Vrabel: 1.5 Sacks, 2 FF

Hugh Douglas: 10 Sacks

All these players except Thomas, showed that they were at least capable NFL Players early on. Something Gholston has yet to do.

And Bryan Thomas is by no means an 'impact player'.

I am quite sure he is a bust, but they should make a decision at the end of this year. I assume, if next year does not have a cap, then they would take advantage and trade/cut him this offseason and take the hit. If there is a cap, we are stuck with him for awhile.

Then, of course, he could come on before the year is through. But don't hold your breath. This guy has zero instincts and plays incredibly soft. Those are not usually traits that get fixed with some experience.

go look at a film of Calvin Pace in his 2nd year... compare it to his film from last week.

Who are draft picks that were all drafted below Vernon Gholston who were still significantly better than him early in their careers?

Rookie Year:

Farrior: 70 Tackles, 1.5 Sacks, 2 FFs

Pace: 32 Tackles, 1 Sack (4.5 sacks in his 2nd year)

Bryan Thomas: .5 sacks (With Abraham and Ellis as starters)

Mike Vrabel: 1.5 Sacks, 2 FF

Hugh Douglas: 10 Sacks

All these players except Thomas, showed that they were at least capable NFL Players early on. Something Gholston has yet to do.

And Bryan Thomas is by no means an 'impact player'.

BUT DID YOU SEE THAT HIT IN PRESEASON???!!1! YOU CAN'T TEACH THAT!!111!!!

James Farrior

Calvin Pace

Bryan Thomas

Mike Vrabel

Hugh Douglas

"Alex, who are draft picks that took years to become NFL impact players?"

Hugh Douglas had 18 sacks and a TD in his first two seasons, and that was with Rich Kotite coaching him. We can only dream about Gholston starting so slow.

Farrior - 58 tackles and 1 1/2 sacks as a rookie.

Pace - 5 1/2 sacks, two forced fumbles his first two years.

Even Vrabel had 4 sacks in his first two years.

Gholston registered a tackle as a rookie.

Archived