Its Official..Even Rex cant fix 'The Ghoul'

SouthernJet

Immense natural gifts don't mean sh-t when you have the knees of a 50-year-old. The fact that Durant's going to be one of the top 5 players in the league within 2 years compounds just how awful a choice that was.

The latter statement is absurd and really makes me question how much basketball you watch. Oden would fair about as well in D'Antoni's systen as Chris Wilcox did. That's about it. He gets up and down the court no faster than Curry does, and by no means is that a credit to Curry. Durant on the other hand, I might sacrfice a limb to get him on the Knicks.

And the biggest knock on Oden applies to Gholston.

-Doesn't work hard

-Takes plays off

-Doesn't seem to have the desire to play the game

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-Doesn't work hard

-Takes plays off

I gotta slam on the brakes on this one.

The only people who make these statements are fans. I have never heard anyone in the know question Gholston's work ethic or desire.

Too many people mistake demeanor for desire.

Knock the kid for his lack of progress all you want. But all I hear is that the kid works hard and wants to improve. Bart Scott fell all over himself defending Gholston on Barking with Bart a few weeks back.

-Doesn't work hard

-Takes plays off

I honestly think it's a different story with Oden. I think the will's there, but his body just can't hold up. He still shows flashes here and there, but I just don't think his body will follow where his mind wants to go, and the high volume of fouls only add to it. What set him apart at Ohio State was just how agile he was for a man that big, he might have had the best lateral movement in the paint that I've ever seen on a college center. And that's including Duncan and Shaq (though I never had the fortune of seeing Alcindor or Russell play). But you simply can't be a big man in the NBA and have knees this bad, you just can't.

Fwiw, he has looked pretty awesome this preseason. But I think every NBA fan is just waiting for this year's knee injury to hit. It's bound to happen sooner or later.

That might honestly wind up being the 2nd worst NBA Draft mistake ever when all is said and done. Portland would have guarenteed themselves at least 2 rings and probably more with a Durant/Roy/Aldridge trifecta. Durant is just an alien, scoring like that at will on NBA defenders at age 20 is absurd. Dude was 6th in the league in scoring last year with a .422% from the arc in his 2nd year. His 2nd year! At age 20!!

I didn't say he wasn't a bust for the Bears as the #4 overall pick in the draft... all I'm saying is that he showed a lot more in his first year and a half than Gholston has.

Exactly which was the original reason he was even brought up . Amazing now asosomf is trying to twist that around after it was proven Benson actully did something on the football field.

JIF I dont remember anyone calling Bit a moron, I know I did not. Stop doing what you always accuse me of. :box:

Exactly which was the original reason he was even brought up . Amazing now asosomf is trying to twist that around after it was proven Benson actully did something on the football field.

JIF I dont remember anyone calling Bit a moron, I know I did not. Stop doing what you always accuse me of. :box:

That said, JiF is definitely a moron.

I gotta slam on the brakes on this one.

The only people who make these statements are fans. I have never heard anyone in the know question Gholston's work ethic or desire.

Too many people mistake demeanor for desire.

Knock the kid for his lack of progress all you want. But all I hear is that the kid works hard and wants to improve. Bart Scott fell all over himself defending Gholston on Barking with Bart a few weeks back.

Kleck when players refer to their teammates they always give a glowing review . What did you expect Scott to do ? Have you ever heard a semi normal player come out and say "My teammate sucks"

talk to some bear fans about CB...skippy

i'm not saying Casper will amount to anything either

I didnt mean it literally. The feeling from the parade of bashers was that you were all calling him a moron for defending VG.

That said, JiF is definitely a moron.

ifuknh8u

What happened to us EY? We used to be so good.

talk to some bear fans about CB...skippy

i'm not saying Casper will amount to anything either

Skippy ? For a second there I thought you were talking to JIF which ... Well you get the Idea.

To be honest Chicago's offense was a disaster for a while and teams stacked up aganist the run and Benson got hammered. He obviously showed he had talent while he was with Chicago. Now hes proving it. He did not have to work his way up to where he is now hes the same damn guy that was in Chicago.

Vernon Gholston in RB Terms is 1.5 yards per carry and 10 fumbles a year.

I didnt mean it literally. The feeling from the parade of bashers was that you were all calling him a moron for defending VG.

ifuknh8u

What happened to us EY? We used to be so good.

And how many times have you taken me literally JIF when I was just shooting from the top of my head and didnt actully look up stats ? :box:

I can understand these threads being started after a heart breaking loss but after a 38-0 road win against Al Davis... that's what irks me the most. These VG threads are being started after victories. Unacceptable.

Vernon Gholston's grade isn't an A or a B+ but it's not an F.

he's in the mix getting real snaps on defense and playing specials... doing his job, with upside to get better.

forget semantics... I watch the games. Besides the Chris Johnson thing (yeah he caught a 4.2 guy so what?)... and the time he almost killed David Carr (it was preseason so his brain didn't really get rattled)...

consider the following:

-when Trusnik was traded, gholston became alot more active on special teams. that is his place in the pecking order right now with Pace and Thomas at full speed. He's not better than 8 year vets that doesn't mean he's a bust.

-another example... after Kris Jenkins blew out his knee... Sione Pouha came in and got a lot of snaps... When he was tired... I don't believe Devito was active so there was no 2nd team NT. Who played the position that day? VG. They lost but it was still impressive.

VG's got the tools (strength, speed, explosion) and the NFL is a league of rare athletes, if you don't have any... you end up like the Browns or the Rams. Don't talk to me about character you can take all the Ray Ventrones and Blake Constanzos in the world, it don't mean jack without a core group of super-stars. VG could be a bust, he could be a superstar... it's the potential that makes him worth the pick.

RE: semantics and the word "bust"

Like most things in life, the draft has some manner a bell curve distribution

it wont be nice perfect like this one:

bell.gif

but there is a range nonetheless of grades we can put on a player's career

one end of the range we have the true dimitrius underwood, ki-jana carter, ryan leaf bust, worst possible draft pick, High value, low return.

the other end of the range we have tom brady or joe montana, greatest possible draft pick, low value, high return.

in the middle, alot of picks of various value. There's a whole lot of relatively average draft picks... some were cheap but statistically the majority of great players were first and second round picks.

in my view "bust" should be used as the opposite of "hall of fame" - not everyone who doesn't live up to my exacting expectations. It's kinda rude.

the bust label shouldn't be subjective depending on who you ask and when. A guy either is a bust or he isn't and it's a forever label.

ask me you can't really apply the bust tag confidently until the career is _completely_ over. 3-5 years is a rule of thumb for purposes of message board arguments. Even after the career is over it's a tough label to assign.

here's a timely example Justin Miller's back in town. Here's a second round pick who has made the pro bowl... travelled around the league a bit and back with the Jets to return kicks. Is justin miller a bust? Well in year 1 he was great, then... blah blah blah. cause he got hurt and ended up on waivers.

meanwhile we just bypass the fact this man went to Hawaii - that one award means he can never really be called a bust. That's a good use of 2nd round pick by NFL standards, even if he didn't do it for a very long time.

The story isn't even finished yet but I guarantee right now there are posters in this thread who absolutely think that Justin Miller is a bust and that's way off base.

he's like the 9th highest paid player on the team. pisses me off that this guy is set 4 life and Leon is making scraps and now i pray he makes it back

ya know the really sad part jetsjets

the thing that will really piss you off?

in NFL market value, Vernon Gholston might legitimately be worth more than Leon Washington. Heck he's probably worth more than Jenkins.

that's how bad those guys were hurt, and that's the kind of league it is.

NO one wants an injured guy. NO one cares about yesterday it's all about tomorrow.

I can be optimistic about Vernon Gholston, DMC and Glenn Dorsey. I don't know how to be optimistic about those 2 fallen soldiers.

that's why the draft is such a big deal, the league goes through talent like toilet paper.

Pretty soon Bollinger will be back the league :bag: (if only I could follow it on versus) :Nuts:

He'll try anything to prove he's not wrong.

As you can see here, Gholston is remarkably consistant in his play making ability irregardless of the amount of snaps he sees.

It is exactly THIS kind of consistancy that this defense sorely lacks

chartgo.png

Archived