So I'm watching my parents dog...

JustInFudge

And he's been begging to get on the couch. My folks lets him on the couch at their house. Finally because I'm such a sucker, I put down a sheet to the right of me and let him up.

He wasnt satisified and began whinning. The dog kept getting of the couch and making noises. For some reason he kept walking around the coffee table to the otherside of the couch and putting his paw up on the cushin. Then he would back up and give me this look. He was acting all weird. Kept repeating this process.

Then it dawned on me that my pops lets him lay on the couch but he is always to the left of where my pops sits. So I moved to the otherside of the couch and let the dog up. He laid to the left of me and was perfectly calm and normal.

Such interesting creatures, I love'em. He's a Vizsla...this is just a generic picture just incase you've never seen one. Great breed. Really sweet, smart and active.

vizsla.jpg

I really want a Red Doberman.

Dont know why I decided to share this...but I did.

AWESOME breed, Jif!! I considered a Vizsla before getting my Doberman.

Very velcro and high energy, like Dobes.

Hangin out with "Red" short for Red Baron, makes me really consider a Vizsla. But I've wanted a Red Dobie for so long, its got to be the choice. I just dont think there is a better looking dog. And their personalities match mine and what I want in a dog to well.

Hangin out with "Red" short for Red Baron, makes me really consider a Vizsla. But I've wanted a Red Dobie for so long, its got to be the choice. I just dont think there is a better looking dog. And their personalities match mine and what I want in a dog to well.

I can confirm that Dobermans are awesome. But, you REALLY need to resist the urge to buy one from Joe shmoe down the street or some newspaper ad; where you are on your own should you have health problems (and there are MANY) or behavioral issues (which is likely if not bred properly or undersocialized when young). They are kind of nightmarish (non stop energy) until they turn 3 years old and that's why so many end up in rescue/shelters. Also, they are quite expensive (be prepared to have an intimate relationship with your vet).

Having said the above, if you go that route, I know of great resources so contact me when the time comes.

Here's a pic of my red girl:

picture.php?albumid=14&pictureid=71

And he's been begging to get on the couch. My folks lets him on the couch at their house. Finally because I'm such a sucker, I put down a sheet to the right of me and let him up.

He wasnt satisified and began whinning. The dog kept getting of the couch and making noises. For some reason he kept walking around the coffee table to the otherside of the couch and putting his paw up on the cushin. Then he would back up and give me this look. He was acting all weird. Kept repeating this process.

Then it dawned on me that my pops lets him lay on the couch but he is always to the left of where my pops sits. So I moved to the otherside of the couch and let the dog up. He laid to the left of me and was perfectly calm and normal.

Such interesting creatures, I love'em. He's a Vizsla...this is just a generic picture just incase you've never seen one. Great breed. Really sweet, smart and active.

vizsla.jpg

I really want a Red Doberman.

Dont know why I decided to share this...but I did.

pretty dog.

I have the worst luck with dogs a few years ago a off duty cop shot my American Bulldog and last week my 12 year old pit died after her dumb ass ate a poisonous toad. Maybe I should try a cat.

Damn why? I'd be pissed, those dogs are expensive.

Damn why? I'd be pissed, those dogs are expensive.

He killed his brother's Pea****, attacked some lady German Sheppard and a few other dogs. He wasn't very animal friendly, I got a ticket because a few of those. He went though the wooden fence and had a field day while I was at work. As far as I'm concerned I got lucky.

He killed his brother's Pea****, attacked some lady German Sheppard and a few other dogs. He wasn't very animal friendly, I got a ticket because a few of those. He went though the wooden fence and had a field day while I was at work. As far as I'm concerned I got lucky.

LOL sounds like Cujo, always wanted a bulldog.

Cool story. I'm a dog person and after a Weimeraner a Visla might be my second choice. Big part of the reason we don't have one is their reputation as couch killers. My wife never had a dog and isn't ready to sign up.

That takes about 5 minutes to stop, Doberman's are wicked smart and very easy to train.

That takes about 5 minutes to stop, Doberman's are wicked smart and very easy to train.

Yeah, I don't think it'll be too much of a problem, but I'm talking about Weimaraners. The Visla is very similar to a Weimaraner, but I don't know their temperment. I've had Dobies in the family and took care of a Dobie for a couple of years when the owner had a stroke. They are way calmer than the Weimaraners I know.

Yeah, I don't think it'll be too much of a problem, but I'm talking about Weimaraners. The Visla is very similar to a Weimaraner, but I don't know their temperment. I've had Dobies in the family and took care of a Dobie for a couple of years when the owner had a stroke. They are way calmer than the Weimaraners I know.

Vizslas are high strung but less so than a Weim. Vizslas are incredibly velcro with their owners. Some people don't like how incredibly needy they are.

Cool story. I'm a dog person and after a Weimeraner a Visla might be my second choice. Big part of the reason we don't have one is their reputation as couch killers. My wife never had a dog and isn't ready to sign up.

Weimeraner are cool dogs my aunt has two of them up in Northern Florida those dogs can run all day... you even have to make them stop running around sometimes just so the dont over heat..

n668646052_1802827_2239.jpg

7820_129957816052_668646052_3044660_6375487_n.jpg

I can confirm that Dobermans are awesome. But, you REALLY need to resist the urge to buy one from Joe shmoe down the street or some newspaper ad; where you are on your own should you have health problems (and there are MANY) or behavioral issues (which is likely if not bred properly or undersocialized when young). They are kind of nightmarish (non stop energy) until they turn 3 years old and that's why so many end up in rescue/shelters. Also, they are quite expensive (be prepared to have an intimate relationship with your vet).

Having said the above, if you go that route, I know of great resources so contact me when the time comes.

Here's a pic of my red girl:

picture.php?albumid=14&pictureid=71

Gorgeous. I just love those animals. I might need to pick your brain when it comes time for the purchase. My condo right now isnt really the best environment for a dog. The beach is my back yard so I have that, but its a brand new condo, with bambo floors, new carpet and all sorts of stuff I'm scared will get damaged.

And overall, it just wouldnt seem right to the animal because I'm rarely home.

I have the worst luck with dogs a few years ago a off duty cop shot my American Bulldog and last week my 12 year old pit died after her dumb ass ate a poisonous toad. Maybe I should try a cat.

Sorry to hear that Mick.

Are they a high maintenance breed? I have a big dog but he's pretty easy to take care of.

I wouldnt call him high maintenance. He's attention needy for sure, but he's low key once you recognize him. Doesnt get too amped up, doesnt bark, doesnt jump on people, he's very well behaved.. Vizsla's are extremely smart. If he starts getting wound up or acting up, you just tell him to go lay down...and he goes right to his dog bed until he told he can come back and socialize.

My experience is that Vizsla's tend to be less skiddish and not as high strung as Weimeraners, but they are both really cool breeds.

The couch thing is definitely trainable. My parents just got lazy in the retirment years and started letting him up. He was never allowed to do this a couple of years ago and was very obedient in that sense. He would just lay right at your feet when you are on the couch.

Small dogs are little different. Its almost impossible to keep them of couches cuz they just want to be in your lap at all times. Unfortunately, my folks dog now thinks he's a small dog and feel that he can fit on my lap.

Did you meet my friend Jim's red dobie Einstein when I was dogsitting for him last year? Great dog.

Vizslas are high strung but less so than a Weim. Vizslas are incredibly velcro with their owners. Some people don't like how incredibly needy they are.

Yep. And I hear this about Vizslas often. Red is really not that way. I mean, he wants to be the center of attention, but he's not as bad as some extremely needy dogs I've met.

All these big dogs - geeze. Here's my killer. Usually have to keep her on a 1'' thick chain in the back yard - but here she is after riding me of the last batch of Jehova Witnesses.

9931_1183806047970_1612816845_479105_4268310_n.jpg

Boston Terrier? French Bull Dog? I cant tell.

Weimeraner are cool dogs my aunt has two of them up in Northern Florida those dogs can run all day... you even have to make them stop running around sometimes just so the dont over heat..

n668646052_1802827_2239.jpg

7820_129957816052_668646052_3044660_6375487_n.jpg

Beautiful dogs. Where in N. FL does you Aunt live?

Did you meet my friend Jim's red dobie Einstein when I was dogsitting for him last year? Great dog.

Yes. He was awesome. An Old Timer if I remember correctly. But super well behaved and just really personable.

Yep. And I hear this about Vizslas often. Red is really not that way. I mean, he wants to be the center of attention, but he's not as bad as some extremely needy dogs I've met.

Yes. He was awesome. An Old Timer if I remember correctly. But super well behaved and just really personable.

Yeah. He's a great old guy. He smiles when someone comes in the house, funniest thing ever.

LOL - she's a very mixed breed bro. It's my daughters dog that lives with me. The mother was for certain a Chihuahua and the dad was alleged to be a Poodle.

All the grandparents must have been Terriers though as she has all those predatory characteristics. The heart of a Lion and the body of a Guinna Pig.

right by where you went to college. High Spring, Florida about 15mins south east of Gainesville i think...

LOL - she's a very mixed breed bro. It's my daughters dog that lives with me. The mother was for certain a Chihuahua and the dad was alleged to be a Poodle.

All the grandparents must have been Terriers though as she has all those predatory characteristics. The heart of a Lion and the body of a Guinna Pig.

LOL!!! I love dogs, they crack me up. The littles ones are always the proudest.

And how off was I with the Boston and the French. Chihuahua/Poodle mix? Thats like combining a princess with a mexican street fighter.

right by where you went to college. High Spring, Florida about 15mins south east of Gainesville i think...

Yep. Thats out in the middle of no where, so I can see how those dogs run all day long. She probably lives on acres of land for dirt cheap.

High Springs is very natural and pretty. Some sick natural springs chillax areas and some big time Redneck Riviera type party spots.

It's always the little ones, I swore she was a Terrier, interesting mix.

It's always the little ones, I swore she was a Terrier, interesting mix.

It's called Napoleon complex! Further compounded by lazy owners who don't bother training or exercising (physically or mentally).

Good to know. We'll see when I start trying to sell my wife.

All these big dogs - geeze. Here's my killer. Usually have to keep her on a 1'' thick chain in the back yard - but here she is after riding me of the last batch of Jehova Witnesses.

From here I'd have guessed Boston Terrier too. My buddy has one and he's awesome if a little too gassy. Funny you think these are big dogs because for me they are medium sized. I used to have a Dane. He was an awesome dog, but huge. They have short life expectancies and when they get sick it's real tough to deal with them - lifting them in and out of the truck, etc.

Cool. I actually want a dog that can jog a couple of miles a day with me. Size and style wise I like Weimaraners, Vizla and Rhodesian Ridgebacks. The Ridgebacks I've met always seem kind of aloof and don't look like they want to play enough.

My experience is that Vizsla's tend to be less skiddish and not as high strung as Weimeraners, but they are both really cool breeds.

The couch thing is definitely trainable. My parents just got lazy in the retirment years and started letting him up. He was never allowed to do this a couple of years ago and was very obedient in that sense. He would just lay right at your feet when you are on the couch.

Small dogs are little different. Its almost impossible to keep them of couches cuz they just want to be in your lap at all times. Unfortunately, my folks dog now thinks he's a small dog and feel that he can fit on my lap.

I didn't hear that you can't keep your Weimaraner off the couch. I heard that if you have a couch and leave the dog in the room with it that you will not have a nice couch when you return. I'm sure it can be trained, but being overseas and traveling so much I just think I'll be better off waiting to get home to NY. There I'll be able to have my parents watch him. They could use a dog, but don't want to be tied down, dogsitting will be perfect for them. Are you supposed to get the dog before the kids or have the kids before the dog?

Yep. Thats out in the middle of no where, so I can see how those dogs run all day long. She probably lives on acres of land for dirt cheap.

High Springs is very natural and pretty. Some sick natural springs chillax areas and some big time Redneck Riviera type party spots.

Yea she lives on 8 1/2 acres so those dogs are outside all day running around... i was up there in june and we all went tubing down the ichetucknee river i still have to get the underwater pics developed... i couldnt believe all the rednecks up there with their party boats tied to together getting straght wasted with some pretty hot chicks on board..

I didn't hear that you can't keep your Weimaraner off the couch. I heard that if you have a couch and leave the dog in the room with it that you will not have a nice couch when you return. I'm sure it can be trained, but being overseas and traveling so much I just think I'll be better off waiting to get home to NY. There I'll be able to have my parents watch him. They could use a dog, but don't want to be tied down, dogsitting will be perfect for them. Are you supposed to get the dog before the kids or have the kids before the dog?

That I cant help you with. I'm a single dude and dont see that changing any time soon.

As far as the couch thing, you just have to keep them confined to an area of the house until they are able to be trusted with the entire living quarters.

Too funny! My husband does the same thing when he wants the seat by the end table. ;)

Yea she lives on 8 1/2 acres so those dogs are outside all day running around... i was up there in june and we all went tubing down the ichetucknee river i still have to get the underwater pics developed... i couldnt believe all the rednecks up there with their party boats tied to together getting straght wasted with some pretty hot chicks on board..

hahahaha. Ginnie Springs? That place is the spot. You get a lot of UF students go there too, so seeing hot chicks is the norm. You just have to deal with toothless Red Necks, but they are no harm, just throw them a natty light or some dip and you are thier best friend.

Are you supposed to get the dog before the kids or have the kids before the dog?

Either way is fine as long as you plan on training both to respect one another. But having a baby and a puppy at the same time would be a nightmare in terms of your stress level, though. Ideally, one should be out of baby stage before introducing the other. JMHO.

Archived