Dolphins' celebration during Monday night win irks New York Jets

SoFlaJets

Cimini...

It's Miami week, and the Jets are fired up, still upset by what they felt was an over-the-top celebration by the Dolphins after their dramatic 31-27 win three weeks ago in Miami.

"When Ronnie Brown scored (with six seconds left) and he was doing that little Dolphin dance, oh, that irked the --- out of me," DE Shaun Ellis said Wednesday, adding, "Seeing how they celebrated, I was looking for stuff to come out of the sky. I thought I just played in the Super Bowl."

Said CB Darrelle Revis: "We saw that. We took heed of that. ...It was a game we let slip by. We feel we're the better team - up and down, special teams, offense, defense, no matter what."

In Wednesday's team meeting, Rex Ryan read a newspaper quote from Brown, who said after the first game that the Dolphins' pregame mind-set was, "Let's see who has the tougher 11 people on the field."

That infuriated Ryan, who wants the Jets to be known for their toughness. In his news conference, the revenge-minded coach emphasized, "We'll see what happens Sunday." In fact, he used the phrase (including slight variations) 11 different times.

READY: WR Jerricho Cotchery (hamstring), who missed the last two games, returned to practice and pronounced himself ready to play. ... WR Braylon Edwards refused to comment on his misdemeanor assault charge. ... WR/RB Danny Woodhead could replace Leon Washington (broken leg) as the third-down back.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a conference call Wednesday with South Florida media, a reporter asked Ryan about the Miami Dolphins being forced to start two rookie cornerbacks with Will Allen done for the year because of a knee injury.

The response was classic Ryan.

The Jets will have their top WR, Jerricho Cotchery, back this week after he missed the last two games with a hamstring injury.

"I feel like I'm ready to go right now," Cotchery said. "I've been waiting to get back into action and I feel like I'm finally ready now. I'm ready to go."

In other injury news, WR David Clowney (ankle), RG Brandon Moore (foot) and CB Lito Sheppard (quad) didn't practice at all.

Ryan said of those three the only player among those three he's "concerned" won't play Sunday is Sheppard.

Other than Cotchery (hamstring), the players who were limited yesterday included DE Shaun Ellis (knee and ankle), LB Bart Scott (knee), WR Brad Smith (quad) and RT Damien Woody (foot). All are expected to play.

For the Dolphins, LB Channing Crowder, Ryan's chatty friend, didn't practice yesterday because of a shoulder injury, but he told the Miami Herald he'll play Sunday.

Leon Washington was due back last night from the Bay Area, where he had emergency surgery on his broken right leg right after Sunday's game in Oakland.

Ryan said he spoke to Washington and he's "in great spirits."

WR Braylon Edwards, asked yesterday what his reaction to being formally charged with assault stemming from an alleged fight he had outside a Cleveland nightclub last month, said, "I have lawyers for that. That's their job to take care of that. It's being handled the proper way."

Asked if he is concerned about being suspended by the league, he said, "I'm not worried about anything. I'm just focusing on the game this week. I'm still on the Jets, I'm still instated in the league and I'm working hard to beat the Dolphins."

Asked directly if he punched the man he was charged with hitting, Edwards said, "It's a legal matter, and it's pending and we'll see what happens with that."

Rex Ryan stood before his team in yesterday morning's team meeting and began pushing motivational buttons Bill Parcells style.

Ryan read a quote from Dolphins running back Ronnie Brown that stated the Dolphins' 11 players on offense were tougher and more physical than the 11 players on the Jets' defense in Miami's 31-27 comeback victory over the Jets three weeks ago.

"I got the quote, and it's a great quote," Ryan said. "Obviously they must have thought they were the tougher team on that Monday night. We'll see who the tougher one is this week."

Ryan said he was so disgusted at seeing his defense spit up the lead three times in the fourth quarter in that loss that he wanted a rematch against the Dolphins "three seconds after the game ended."

His players felt the same.

"Two minutes after the game, we all felt that way; this game can't come fast enough," DE Shaun Ellis said.

"We've been waiting for them," CB Darrelle Revis said. "It's not like we overlooked other teams we've played, but this is a game we've been wanting to get back. We've got something to show them on Sunday. It's going to be very intense."

Revis said Brown's words got his attention. "It's kind of like he disrespected our defense in a way," Revis said. "That just shows what they think about our defense, that we're not tough enough and we're not strong enough. It hurts.

"We believe we're a tough group, and that's what we're going to show."

Asked what he expects Sunday against the Dolphins, Ellis said, "I expect to win and dominate. They're coming to our house and we've got to step up and be dominant. Down there [in Miami] they gave it to us, caused us a lot of problems.

"The toughest 11? We'll see this game. There's no doubt about it that we have tough players on this team. Everybody was watching that last game [on the Monday night national stage] and it was like, 'Wow, we laid an egg.' "

It's a performance that still irks the Jets' defensive players.

"We relive that game pretty much every week in the meetings around here on what not to do," DE Marques Douglas said. "Too many mental errors and missed tackles in that game and that wasn't us. We accept the loss, we don't back away from it. They beat us. We're at home in front of our fans now and we're going to show we're not that same team that played on Monday night.

"The toughest team will win the game and we make no bones about it: We think we're the toughest team."

Jets RT Damien Woody was one of the few players in the locker room who scoffed at the Brown comments as a motivational tool.

"I don't need added inspiration to play this game," Woody sad. "I don't need a quote from Ronnie Brown or whoever to be ready to go on Sunday. Those guys [the Dolphins] had a great time celebrating after that game and those pictures stick with you. I can't wait for Sunday."

Ryan said "of course I've been waiting" for the rematch against the Dolphins, adding, "It's been only a couple of weeks [since the last game]. I'm sure they could have scheduled this game earlier and both teams would have signed up for it.

"The beauty of playing Miami now is that if you get beat and whipped or whatever you want to say like we did that Monday night, if we would have played Minnesota or Chicago you might may have to wait four years for that opportunity again. The great thing about this one is it's happening right now.

"Will the outcome be different? I don't know. We'll see if it's going to be different on Sunday. I believe it will be."

OMG didn't we win superbowl in game 2?

no we won a big divisional game we didn't do the 'Dance Of Death' over the dead carcass of the Patriots. To listen to ALL of Miami down here after that win Ellis is right, you'd think they won the friggin' Super Bowl.

Dolphins wide receiver Ted Ginn Jr., the ninth pick of the 2007 draft, might have lost his starting job. Coach Tony Sparano was noncommittal Wednesday when he was asked whether the struggling Ginn will start Sunday at the New York Jets.

"I don't want to say yes, I don't want to say no right now," Sparano said.

Ginn (18 receptions, 211 yards, one touchdown) shared repetitions with the first-team offense during Wednesday's practice, and it appears there's a chance rookie Brian Hartline (10-157, 1 TD) or veteran Greg Camarillo (19-174, 0 TDs) could start ahead of Ginn on Sunday.

Also in the mix to start at wide receiver opposite Davone Bess (26-188, 0 TDs), but to a much lesser extent, is rookie Patrick Turner, the third-round pick from Southern California who hasn't yet been on the active roster.

"Today we just went in there and said, 'Let's let it fly'" Sparano said. "We've got five guys there that are playing this position. Let's let them all work and see where we go from there."

Ginn has been something of a disappointment during his NFL career of two-plus seasons. He's become the target of venomous rants by Dolphins fans after he has dropped passes or watched them deflect off his hands, such as last week's interception that New Orleans safety Darren Sharper returned 42 yards for a TD.

Ginn, who Sunday could be matched with Pro Bowl pick Darrelle Revis, one of the NFL's best cornerbacks, has just five receptions for 77 yards in the past four games, but 53 of those yards came on his one TD. Ginn chose not to speak with reporters Wednesday.

Sparano was also asked about an ESPN report that claimed Ginn would have reduced playing time in coming games.

"I have no comment," Sparano bristled.

Crowder sits

Linebacker Channing Crowder (right shoulder) didn't practice Wednesday but vowed to play Sunday.

"I hate missing games," he said.

If Crowder can't play, look for the Dolphins to shift starting linebacker Akin Ayodele to Crowder's spot and move Reggie Torbor into the starting lineup.

Also on the injury report are defensive tackle Jason Ferguson (foot), who was limited Wednesday, and running back Ricky Williams (thumb), who participated in full.

No Washington

Jets running back Leon Washington broke his right leg last week against Oakland, ending his season. The Dolphins are relieved they won't be facing the Pro Bowl kickoff returner, who is also the man who takes the snaps in New York's version of the Wildcat offense.

"You can't just replace a Leon Washington," Dolphins linebacker Joey Porter said. "He's a different kind of runner."

Still, Miami defenders are guarding against thinking they'll have it easy, because rookie Shonn Greene is replacing Washington and splitting time with New York's other running back, Thomas Jones. "I think this is the best offensive line we're going to face by far," Ayodele said.

Ness signed

The Dolphins signed safety Nate Ness, a rookie who played college football at Arizona, to the practice squad. He replaces defensive lineman Derrick Jones, who was on the practice squad for two weeks.

Bull, the Jets acted like they won their sb after game two.

This Jets team cracks me up. Very talented - but the personality of a three year old. They can give it, but they can't take it. Just shut up and play already.

yea but we weren't dancing on the field Garb

I love Revis and all, but I'm not a fan of the "we still think we're the better team" crap coming from players after a loss. Its alright to think it, but keep it to yourselves. Its something that I've always criticized the Dolphins for over the years, because they seemed to cry about how they were the better team no matter how many times the Jets beat them in a row. I'm all for the team wanting to come back and prove something, but they lost that last game and there's nobody to blame but themselves.

That said, it sounds like this Jets team is out for blood and I like that attitude. Now its up to them to back it up.

Cimini...

It's Miami week, and the Jets are fired up, still upset by what they felt was an over-the-top celebration by the Dolphins after their dramatic 31-27 win three weeks ago in Miami.

"When Ronnie Brown scored (with six seconds left) and he was doing that little Dolphin dance, oh, that irked the --- out of me," DE Shaun Ellis said Wednesday, adding, "Seeing how they celebrated, I was looking for stuff to come out of the sky. I thought I just played in the Super Bowl."

Said CB Darrelle Revis: "We saw that. We took heed of that. ...It was a game we let slip by. We feel we're the better team - up and down, special teams, offense, defense, no matter what."

In Wednesday's team meeting, Rex Ryan read a newspaper quote from Brown, who said after the first game that the Dolphins' pregame mind-set was, "Let's see who has the tougher 11 people on the field."

That infuriated Ryan, who wants the Jets to be known for their toughness. In his news conference, the revenge-minded coach emphasized, "We'll see what happens Sunday." In fact, he used the phrase (including slight variations) 11 different times.

READY: WR Jerricho Cotchery (hamstring), who missed the last two games, returned to practice and pronounced himself ready to play. ... WR Braylon Edwards refused to comment on his misdemeanor assault charge. ... WR/RB Danny Woodhead could replace Leon Washington (broken leg) as the third-down back.

haha what? Cry about it bitches. You didn't do anything about it so shut the **** up.

Jets all hot and bothered by Ronnie quote

Armando Salguero

To get his little minions all excited about Sunday's game against the Dolphins, Jets coach Rex Ryan used a quote that appeared on this blog following the first Miami beatdown of the Jets on Oct 12.

"Coming into the game we're watching how they blitz and we were like, 'OK we'll just sit back and play football then, and let's see who has the tougher 11 people on the field,' " Ronnie Brown said on Oct. 14.

Well, you'd think Brown had stolen Ryan's buffet ticket because the coach was so vexed he actually read the quote aloud to his players during a team meeting on Wednesday.

So the Jets, who wanted revenge against the Dolphins before hearing the quote, now reeeaaaaalllly want revenge against the Dolphins. Oooooh, now they're reeeeaaaallly, reeeaaallly motivated. Now that Brown's incendiary quote has set the Jets' collective britches on fire, they're going to reeaaaallly study their game plans and reeeealllly practice reeeaaaally super duper hard.

"I got the quote and it's a great quote," Ryan said without attributing it properly. "Obviously, they must have thought they were the tougher team on that Monday night. We'll see who the tougher one is this week."

Hear the silence? That's the Dolphins' knees not rattling one against another in fear. I saw no sign of apprehension, consternation, panic or trepidation in the Dolphins locker room Wednesday. (Also saw no sign of Ted Ginn Jr. either, but that's another story.)

The Dolphins, to be succinct, seem to be simply going about their business this week.

Let me explain to you how this works Johnny:

Ellis is asked a question. He answers it.

I knew you'd disagree on this one...

First of all, what was the exact question he was asked? I don't see it here...

Regardless, he doesn't have to answer a question in that manner. I know that I wouldn't if I were in his shoes. He was part of a defensive unit that had no answers for Miami's running game... bitching about how Miami celebrated after they won doesn't change that fact.

I like Rex and he is fun. But my concerns are the same with all the talking.

Someone needs to serve this team a nice glass of STFU. Play football. You are mad that the Dolphins celebrated? Yeah about that, stop them before they get in the end zone.

Since that didn't happen we shouldn't hear about it. All they should be talking about is how they (the Jets) are trying to get better and learn from the experience.

No reason to tell the world how good you are. If you are good, the world already knows.

Cimini...

OH shut up already you idiots..

yea but we weren't dancing on the field Garb

Many Jets players talk a big frickin' game - and often enough they back it up....but when you talk big, the game becomes big. And when they end up losing, many of the same big mouths acts like frickin' babies leaving the sandbox and taking their toy trucks with them. You give, you get.

BTW - didn't Rex get a gatorade shower after a REGULAR SEASON victory this year? If you think a dance (on their own home field) is lame, what's a regular season gatorade shower? Super lame?

Bull, the Jets acted like they won their sb after game two.

This Jets team cracks me up. Very talented - but the personality of a three year old. They can give it, but they can't take it. Just shut up and play already.

come on Garby, wasn't Moss shooting his mouth off about howRevis couldn't cover him after that loss, among other things? All NFL'ers are primadonnas and shoot their mouths after a loss...ALL OF THEM

Let me explain to you how this works Johnny:

Ellis is asked a question. He answers it.

Yeah, and when/if a patriots players in a few week says that we acted like we just won the Super Bowl after the week 2 win, you'll pull a 180 and bash them for it..

Many Jets players talk a big frickin' game - and often enough they back it up....but when you talk big, the game becomes big. And when they end up losing, many of the same big mouths acts like frickin' babies leaving the sanbox and taking their toy trucks with them. You give, you get.

BTW - didn't Rex get a gatorade shower after a REGULAR SEASON victory this year? If you think a dance (on their own home field) is lame, what's a regular season gatorade shower? Super lame?

The Gatorade shower started as a weekly thing during the REGULAR season. :rolleyes:

This is just weak and pathetic trolling Garb, very PR37ish and you're better than that. :disgust:

come on Garby, wasn't Moss shooting his mouth off about howRevis couldn't cover him after that loss, among other things? All NFL'ers are primadonnas and shoot their mouths after a loss...ALL OF THEM

Yah, and he looked like an azzhole.

ALL OF THEM are not primadonna's. Jenkins is not a dooshie. Never heard Leon shoot his mouth off. Jones. Welker. Faulk. BB. Etc. Well, they may be primadonna's - but they keep their mouths shut.

No offense, but certain Jets players are coming off like children here, not primadonna's. That's your head coaches fault.

The Gatorade shower started as a weekly thing during the REGULAR season. :rolleyes:

This is just weak and pathetic trolling Garb, very PR37ish and you're better than that. :disgust:

You are so fulll of poop -LOL!!! I have a point, so you choose to go the troll route. Bravo! You are still predictable. :yawn:

BTW - I hate it when Players shoot off their mouths unless it's clearly for entertainment (Ocho Cinco). I prefer that they have their play do the big talk for them.

Yah, and he looked like an azzhole.

ALL OF THEM are not primadonna's. Jenkins is not a dooshie. Never heard Leon shoot his mouth off. Jones. Welker. Faulk. BB. Etc. Well, they may be primadonna's - but they keep their mouths shut.

No offense, but certain Jets players are coming off like children here, not primadonna's. That's your head coaches fault.

If they win he is a genius, if they lose he is a child and a big mouth...we will have to wait and see the final verdict

You are so fulll of poop -LOL!!! I have a point, so you choose to go the troll route. Bravo! You are still predictable. :yawn:

BTW - I hate it when Players shoot off their mouths unless it's clearly for entertainment (Ocho Cinco). I prefer that they have their play do the big talk for them.

When players are asked questions, they are expected to answer them. Some guys are more emotional than others so they say more.

Stop acting like Jets players are running around the facility, seeking out reporters to feed quotes to. :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's just ridiculous.

It reminds me of a friend I had in my neighborhood back in the day. Kid used to celebrate to high hell every time he'd beat someone in Mortal Kombat on Genesis, then throw his controller and kick you out of the house when he'd lose if you so much as smiled about it.

It reminds me of a friend I had in my neighborhood back in the day. Kid used to celebrate to high hell every time he'd beat someone in Mortal Kombat on Genesis, then throw his controller and kick you out of the house when he'd lose if you so much as smiled about it.

Not really the same thing. Last week, Ryan and Sanchez gave Callahan the Gatorade bath which was both funny and cool, not to mention a pretty strong message to Schotty.

When players are asked questions, they are expected to answer them. Some guys are more emotional than others so they say more.

Stop acting like Jets players are running around the facility, seeking out reporters to feed quotes to. :rolleyes:

1) Most do not - Scott and Rhodes being the exceptions. They like hearing themselves talk and think they give good soundbite - which they do. If I were a fan, however, I'd prefer they shut up and delete their twitter accounts.

2) Gatorade showers in the regular season is absolutely the most pathetic thing a team could do. I don't care what team it is.....it's terrible and embarassing. It's kindergarden. I feel bad for anyone that thinks it's cool to do DURING THE REGULAR SEASON. Wow.

I knew you'd disagree on this one...

First of all, what was the exact question he was asked? I don't see it here...

Regardless, he doesn't have to answer a question in that manner. I know that I wouldn't if I were in his shoes. He was part of a defensive unit that had no answers for Miami's running game... bitching about how Miami celebrated after they won doesn't change that fact.

This.

I said it in the preseason and now its surfacing, this smack talk is going to come back and haunt us, especially if we suck....well...we suck and they are still runnig their mouths.

At this point, I would love to someone on the Jets say "No comment. We are going to do our talking on the field".

It would be really refreshing, still as potent and it wouldnt make the players look like the dbags they are running their mouth about a team that physically dominated them a couple of weeks ago and we've done nothing to prove that will change this Sunday.

We are once again setting ourselves up for embarrassment.

Archived