I'm done with the Jets. Help me pick my new team to root for.

Arsis

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I never took you for a gheyhomofag, so I'd avoid the Pats*. Steelers would be good cuz they win a lot, but thats the easy way out.

If I were you I'd go with the Chargers. San Diego is awesome and their uniforms are pretty cool.

I might take this slowly and work my way up from being a Jet fan. I was thinking the Lions. Would only be a small stop up from being a Jet fan.

I might take this slowly and work my way up from being a Jet fan. I was thinking the Lions. Would only be a small stop up from being a Jet fan.

They're in the NFC though.

If we're going AFC I think if you're going to take it slowly you might need to go with say- the Raiders.

I absolutely feel your pain. I think because of the damage being a Jets fan has done to your delicate mental constitution you should shun the entire NFL. You really have only one choice:

sc72a1.jpg

SC Game****s. Go to all the home games you can and begin the healing immediately. The Dr has spoken.

They're in the NFC though.

If we're going AFC I think if you're going to take it slowly you might need to go with say- the Raiders.

You have a point. But I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. I think the Raiders are at least 2 steps above the Jets. They were actually good once.

If I were going to root for another AFC team it would definitely be the Texans.

Why the Texans?

Why the Texans?

I don't know, I've always liked them from the time they came into the league. I'm a big fan of Mario Williams and Andre Johnson. Not to mention they have a kick a$$ stadium and would be within reasonable driving distance from me.

Depends what you're looking for.

Do you want to jump on the bandwagon of the proven Championship winners like New England, Indianapolis or Pittsburgh or do you want to jump on the bandwagon of a team who hasn't won too recently, but has some talent: Denver, Cincinnati, Baltimore, Miami, Houston, San Diego. OR do you want another loser like Oakland, Cleveland, Buffalo or Jacksonville.

Depends what you're looking for.

Do you want to jump on the bandwagon of the proven Championship winners like New England, Indianapolis or Pittsburgh or do you want to jump on the bandwagon of a team who hasn't won too recently, but has some talent: Denver, Cincinnati, Baltimore, Miami, Houston, San Diego. OR do you want another loser like Oakland, Cleveland, Buffalo or Jacksonville.

I'm looking for whatever is going to cure me from the nightmares looking at your avatar has given me. I can feel the gay emanating from the screen trying to suck me in. I feel like someone in the movie "The Blob"

I guess it depends on what you are looking for. Are you still a Jets fan that is just looking for a second favorite team or are you giving up on the Jets altogether?

If you fall into category A, I would recommend the New Orleans Saints. Since Drew Brees went to New Orleans, they have been arguably one of the most exciting teams in the NFL. Now that they have a decent defense, they seem primed to make a run at the super bowl within the next few years. Like the Jets, they've had a downtrodden history (and frankly have had it worse than the Jets for years) so you're rooting for an underdog that has the talent to finally overcome.

If however you are giving up on the Jets altogether, I have a story. I was down in Miami the weekend of the MNF game this year (though I did not go to the game). I had my Jets cap on though and there were precisely four people who made comments (one bus driver, two other guys, and some lady) on the Phins side. Four times as many people made comments on the other side (i.e. were Jets fans). This, btw extends the whole time period I was there (Saturday afternoon through Monday evening). Even up to the minute of gametime, I saw zero people wearing so much as a Dolphins hat (let lone a jersey, shirt or anything else). However in the hours after the game ended (I didn't fly back till Tuesday morning), South Beach was full of people wearing Dolphins shirts, jerseys, etc. To put it another way, they were cowardly front runners that didn't want to show themselves (even in their hometown) unless they won.

So my suggestion is if you are done with the Jets, go root for the Miami Dolphins as anybody who feels that way would fit in with the crowd I just mentioned. But if you do leave, don't start rooting for the Jets again regardless of what happens.

I hate to get technical, Arsis, but what do you mean by "new team to root for"???

"Rooting" for a team and being a "fan" of a team is two different things.

Whenever my team is not doing well, I adopt a team in the playoffs to root for. It could even be multiple teams within a single playoff.

For example, in MLB last year, I rooted for the Tampa Bay Rays and the Phillies throughout the playoffs because I thought both were nice stories. I rooted for Philly in the WS because I thought Philadelphia had suffered long enough in not having any championship (in any sport) in 25 years.

In the NFL last year, I picked the Cardinals. The year before it was Green Bay (then the Giants in the SB). I picked the Colts the year they won it.

It was exciting, but momentary joy.

Fandom for me is like a French marriage. I'm committed to the Jets foreover, but I'm freely allowed to have brief affairs with other teams all I want.

I'm looking for whatever is going to cure me from the nightmares looking at your avatar has given me. I can feel the gay emanating from the screen trying to suck me in. I feel like someone in the movie "The Blob"

I'm sorry if you don't watch one of the greatest TV shows ever:

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

If you did, you'd laugh and love my avatar.

No real Jet Fan could ever change teams...

That said, the idea of just not watching anymore often makes a lot of sense.

I've had to do that EY...during the mid-70's when all my fingernails were gone and I was down to bloody callouses I knew it was time to find something else to do on Sundays...also I'm kind of glad to have missed most of the 90's except for Fins games and maybe a MNF broadcast or two...I didn't miss much being down here in Dolphin land before DTV-the Kotite years might have done me in...

People believe Arsis?

I wasn't sure, that's why I qualified with my statement that anybody who wants to switch, not so much calling him out. The problem is we've seen a number of people after bad losses say "I'm done" that it gets old after awhile.

This team is not for the weak at heart. It is not easy to root for this team, between the disappointing finishes, super bowl drought, every team in this city winning a championship at least once except for the Jets between February 1969 and today, each team in the AFC East having at least some run of success (Dolphins 70s, Bills 90s, Pats* this decade), the fans of other teams taunting us nonsensically, and the quality of media coverage the Jets get (both Glenn Beck's coverage of Obama and Olberman's coverage of Bush combined are more complimentary than Cimini's coverage of the Jets), but I think most of us feel that if they do reach the top during our lifetimes that it will be so much sweeter.

Once you're a Jets fan you're hooked for life. I've always said my blood is green running through pinstriped skin with Knicks orange around the edges. WTHBS you CAN like the way certain teams (NOT the Pats Fins or Bills) PLAY the game in certain years. I kind of like the way the Saints are playing football this year, and I've always kind of liked the Bengals uniforms too.

Once you're a Jets fan you're hooked for life. I've always said my blood is green running through pinstriped skin with Knicks orange around the edges. WTHBS you CAN like the way certain teams (NOT the Pats Fins or Bills) PLAY the game in certain years. I kind of like the way the Saints are playing football this year, and I've always kind of liked the Bengals uniforms too.

I'd probably add Oakland in there as well.

I'd probably add Oakland in there as well.

yea I thought them too njc but I remember rooting hard for them in a SB with Jim Plunkett in the what late 70's or early 80's...Redskins too, Cowboys I also hate.

I have found myself happy when the Giants won over the years. The thing is it's different when you're out of your home state than it was when you were there fighting against Giants or Mets fans for your team. When you're in Florida they're ALL your teams.

If I wasn't a Jets fan, I would have choosen the 49ers.

there's another team I didn't mind watching during the Montana era...again, fun football to watch. The Green Bay Packers were the first team I ever liked. The first NFL game I ever watched was The Ice Bowl when Bart Starr snuck it in over Jerry Kramer to beat Dallas in the NFL Championship Game. It was a year before the merger.

Archived