Official Red Sox Off-Season Thread

CrazyCarl40

Picked up Victor Martinez' option. He is expected to be the full time catcher.

Signed Wakefield to a more cash friendly 2 year deal, after which he'll probably retire at 45. Only 18 more wins and he'll be the winningest pitcher in Red Sox history.

Declined Alex Gonzalez' 6 million dollar option. They might bring him back but for less money. Same thing with Saito.

Declined Vartiek's 5 million dollar team option. Varitek still has his 3 million dollar player option.

They traded for Jeremy Hermida earlier last week.

Jason Bay and Billy Wagner are type A free agents. Varitek will be Type B unless he exercises his player option.

Picked up Victor Martinez' option. He is expected to be the full time catcher.

Signed Wakefield to a more cash friendly 2 year deal, after which he'll probably retire at 45. Only 18 more wins and he'll be the winningest pitcher in Red Sox history.

Declined Alex Gonzalez' 6 million dollar option. They might bring him back but for less money. Same thing with Saito.

Declined Vartiek's 5 million dollar team option. Varitek still has his 3 million dollar player option.

They traded for Jeremy Hermida earlier last week.

Jason Bay and Billy Wagner are type A free agents. Varitek will be Type B unless he exercises his player option.

Yeah...for keeping VMart.

WTF....for keeping Wake. Shouldn't his ERA be over? Unless this means Clay is San Diego bound in order to pry Adrian Gonzalez out of San Diego.

Hopefully, Alex Gonzo will be back at a more equitable price. Kind of like Hermida as a nice back-up to Bay/Holliday (assuming they get one) and Drew. And if he ever fulfills his potential.........

Varitek can come back for 3 million if he wants to? Ouch, he will excercise that I am sure, they may have to make it more of a bonus kind of thing and just move forward without him. Or give him one more year with very little playing time.

Wakefield is amazing at that age. I remember Phil Neikro doing some similar things when he was in the 45 range. He won double digit games so he is definitely a good fall back option.

Martinez is 30 I believe so they are set with him for awhile.

I haven't even looked at the free agent list. What are the big names?

I remember watching wake pitch a perfect game into like the 5th or 6th in spring training and going oh ****. And sure enough he had one hell of a first half. Seems forever ago.

I believe my boy Austin Jackson jacked a granny off him in ST that night.

Varitek can come back for 3 million if he wants to? Ouch, he will excercise that I am sure, they may have to make it more of a bonus kind of thing and just move forward without him. Or give him one more year with very little playing time.

Wakefield is amazing at that age. I remember Phil Neikro doing some similar things when he was in the 45 range. He won double digit games so he is definitely a good fall back option.

Martinez is 30 I believe so they are set with him for awhile.

I haven't even looked at the free agent list. What are the big names?

There aren't very many big names as far as free agents. Top three will be Bay, Holliday and Lackey. Carl Crawford had his option picked up.

Wakefield can continue to be a reliable back of the rotation starter. It's only 3.5 million this season and 1.5 million next season. There are some incentives built in. This is because he had back surgery but he was quoted as saying he'll be ready for spring training. I'll take his 4 ish ERA and 150 innings any time. Especially for less than 5 million.

Varitek at 3 million for a season to help V-Mart and the younger pitchers would be a bargain.

They should pay off Varitek, give him a commemorative day and say buh-bye. V-Mart is no long-term answer, either.

Varitek for one year at 3 million is fine. Especially in a limited role. His work with the pitchers for one more year would be invaluable. Martinez will be fine behind the plate for a full season. I have no qualms about that at all. It's not like there are a glut of great catchers out there.

[quote name='Blackout

Jon,

Thor already deleted that picture. I am viewing this at work. WE DON'T WANT STUFF LIKE THAT HERE.

Why is it so hard to comprehend?

I'm sure I am the only one ever to post a picture of poop on here

I don't appreciate the idiot comment....getting kind of personal, you think?

I'm sure I am the only one ever to post a picture of poop on here

I don't appreciate the idiot comment....getting kind of personal, you think?

The picture was deleted and you reposted it. It is just a matter of respect. Either way though you are right I shouldn't have called you an idiot, sorry about that.

Hermida will be a steal. 27 year old former first round pick/highly thought of prospect who's put up serviceable numbers so far.

In that park...he'll break out. I've wanted the Cubs to make this deal for 2 years now.

Exactly the kind of move we heard last offseason was going to work out to be a bargain steal. See: Smoltz, Penny

Hermida is what he is. A 4th outfielder.

Exactly the kind of move we heard last offseason was going to work out to be a bargain steal. See: Smoltz, Penny

Hermida is what he is. A 4th outfielder.

Hermida is going to be a 4th outfielder. He's better than Rocco Baldelli and can play every day if need be. Difference betwene Hermida and Smoltz and Penny are age and injury. Hermida is still pretty young and both Penny and Smoltz were coming off injury. We'll see how it works out, but it didn't cost them much of anything.

Yeah...for keeping VMart.

WTF....for keeping Wake. Shouldn't his ERA be over? Unless this means Clay is San Diego bound in order to pry Adrian Gonzalez out of San Diego.

Hopefully, Alex Gonzo will be back at a more equitable price. Kind of like Hermida as a nice back-up to Bay/Holliday (assuming they get one) and Drew. And if he ever fulfills his potential.........

It's going to take a lot to get Adrian Gonzalez from the Padres and Clay HAS to be part of any package. I'm NOT impressed with Hermida and I just wished Bay had been resigned last off season. We've still got 10 days. Just get it done.

Hermida is going to be a 4th outfielder. He's better than Rocco Baldelli and can play every day if need be. Difference betwene Hermida and Smoltz and Penny are age and injury. Hermida is still pretty young and both Penny and Smoltz were coming off injury. We'll see how it works out, but it didn't cost them much of anything.

And it's decent insurance if they don't resign Bay.

The battle for second place! Will the Red Sox let the Mets spend the 2nd most $ in all of baseball?! Will the Mets let the Red Sox?! Who. Will. It. Be?!

Get your owners to spend some money and keep their players. Pittsburgh is a great sports town, there is no reason baseball should not thrive there. You get a good team and people will come to the games. Plain and simple.

IMHO it's a pretty slim FA class out there. Can't see spending too much for anybody.

True that.

When Bay is a headliner and with all due respect, Bay is a nice player, but he is not of the caliber of a player like Teixera. No need to spend too much money when the players are not great players.

Kinda sad that Baldelli's talent is sabotaged by his illness. Remarkable he plays at all.

Suspect any deal the Sawx make for King Felix or Halladay starts with Clay Bucholz and something else really good. Doesn't seem they've decided if they're willing to give him up.

But it's better than being the Mets, who don't have a goddamn thing in the minors anyone wants, and owners who operate like they're KC or Pittsburgh. Look for lots of cut-rate ticket specials at ****ifield this summer.

• 2 weeks later...
Kinda sad that Baldelli's talent is sabotaged by his illness. Remarkable he plays at all.

Suspect any deal the Sawx make for King Felix or Halladay starts with Clay Bucholz and something else really good. Doesn't seem they've decided if they're willing to give him up.

But it's better than being the Mets, who don't have a goddamn thing in the minors anyone wants, and owners who operate like they're KC or Pittsburgh. Look for lots of cut-rate ticket specials at ****ifield this summer.

I think they would be willing to move him an another piece, but not the whole farm.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Bay turns down 4years-60 Million.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/news/story?id=4670780

I think they would be willing to move him an another piece, but not the whole farm.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Bay turns down 4years-60 Million.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/news/story?id=4670780

I agree, Clay IS the center piece of any Red Sox trade. I just want us to get Bay back in Fenway next year. This should have gotten done during last years off season.

True that.

When Bay is a headliner and with all due respect, Bay is a nice player, but he is not of the caliber of a player like Teixera. No need to spend too much money when the players are not great players.

100+ runs, 30+HR, 100+ RBI in 4 of the past 5 years. How many other players have done that?

Archived