Sign in to follow this  
CrazyCarl40

Official Red Sox Off-Season Thread

Picked up Victor Martinez' option. He is expected to be the full time catcher.

Signed Wakefield to a more cash friendly 2 year deal, after which he'll probably retire at 45. Only 18 more wins and he'll be the winningest pitcher in Red Sox history.

Declined Alex Gonzalez' 6 million dollar option. They might bring him back but for less money. Same thing with Saito.

Declined Vartiek's 5 million dollar team option. Varitek still has his 3 million dollar player option.

They traded for Jeremy Hermida earlier last week.

Jason Bay and Billy Wagner are type A free agents. Varitek will be Type B unless he exercises his player option.

Varitek can come back for 3 million if he wants to? Ouch, he will excercise that I am sure, they may have to make it more of a bonus kind of thing and just move forward without him. Or give him one more year with very little playing time.

Wakefield is amazing at that age. I remember Phil Neikro doing some similar things when he was in the 45 range. He won double digit games so he is definitely a good fall back option.

Martinez is 30 I believe so they are set with him for awhile.

I haven't even looked at the free agent list. What are the big names?

There aren't very many big names as far as free agents. Top three will be Bay, Holliday and Lackey. Carl Crawford had his option picked up.

Wakefield can continue to be a reliable back of the rotation starter. It's only 3.5 million this season and 1.5 million next season. There are some incentives built in. This is because he had back surgery but he was quoted as saying he'll be ready for spring training. I'll take his 4 ish ERA and 150 innings any time. Especially for less than 5 million.

Varitek at 3 million for a season to help V-Mart and the younger pitchers would be a bargain.

They should pay off Varitek, give him a commemorative day and say buh-bye. V-Mart is no long-term answer, either.

Varitek for one year at 3 million is fine. Especially in a limited role. His work with the pitchers for one more year would be invaluable. Martinez will be fine behind the plate for a full season. I have no qualms about that at all. It's not like there are a glut of great catchers out there.

[quote name='Blackout

Exactly the kind of move we heard last offseason was going to work out to be a bargain steal. See: Smoltz, Penny

Hermida is what he is. A 4th outfielder.

Hermida is going to be a 4th outfielder. He's better than Rocco Baldelli and can play every day if need be. Difference betwene Hermida and Smoltz and Penny are age and injury. Hermida is still pretty young and both Penny and Smoltz were coming off injury. We'll see how it works out, but it didn't cost them much of anything.

The battle for second place! Will the Red Sox let the Mets spend the 2nd most $ in all of baseball?! Will the Mets let the Red Sox?! Who. Will. It. Be?!

Get your owners to spend some money and keep their players. Pittsburgh is a great sports town, there is no reason baseball should not thrive there. You get a good team and people will come to the games. Plain and simple.

Sox signed Marco Scutaro to a 2 year deal. Sox will lose their first round pick, but had one with the Braves signing Wagner. Probably a better one too.

Takashi Saito signed with the Braves.

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company