AL Gold Glove Awards

Otter

Mark Buerle, the guy that threw the no hitter and sucked in most of his outings after that? Surely there's a better fielding pitcher than him out there.

He's got a good pickoff move; I'm not really sure if they decide the award for pitchers though, since pitchers can't get the award for their offense and popularity.

No. I Rob Neyer makes the argument for the average Jeter and Teixera. My grandma has more range then Jeter.

Teixeira had a great season at first. Not sure why Neyer is cynical about that choice. He saved the Yankees a ton of runs and infield errors.

Why? When Rob Neyer can do it for me:

http://espn.go.com/blog/SweetSpot/post/_/id/1314/more-gold-gloves-more-head-scratching

Tex I'd buy. Jeter? Not a chance.

Did he say that Youk should get it over Tex at 1b? When Youk played like 70 games there this year. That is hysterical.

I understand Yankee bashing but they should just give it to Rafael Palmerio at that point.

Derek Jeter played a full year at SS and made 8 errors. Andrus got to a lot more balls. And made 22 errors.

This is laughable.

He's got a good pickoff move; I'm not really sure if they decide the award for pitchers though, since pitchers can't get the award for their offense and popularity.

So does Pettite. I guess they just randomly picked someone.

Did he say that Youk should get it over Tex at 1b? When Youk played like 70 games there this year. That is hysterical.

I understand Yankee bashing but they should just give it to Rafael Palmerio at that point.

Derek Jeter played a full year at SS and made 8 errors. Andrus got to a lot more balls. And made 22 errors.

This is laughable.

Like I said, Tex I buy. Laughable? Just Jeter's range. How long ago was it they were talking about him moving positions? Hunter, Jones, and others did not deserve it.

Like I said, Tex I buy. Laughable? Just Jeter's range. How long ago was it they were talking about him moving positions? Hunter, Jones, and others did not deserve it.

His selection was laughable. Jeter made 8 errors. You can't tell me that a .968 fielding percentage is the gold glover. I think there are others that you can say deserved it more than Jeter. Neyer didn't pick one of them.

Fair. Jeter probably was greatly aided by his rep. And Tex.

Anyone who thinks Tex didn't deserve it is a rock-headed schmuck.

His selection was laughable. Jeter made 8 errors. You can't tell me that a .968 fielding percentage is the gold glover. I think there are others that you can say deserved it more than Jeter. Neyer didn't pick one of them.

I'm one of the first to point out that Jeter has underservingly won GG's in the past ('05 and '06), but this was his best defensive season since '98, and even advanced metrics like UZR support that. I don't have a problem with him taking home the hardware this season.

From a strictly defensive standpoint, though, I think Cesar Izturis and Adam Everett were better shortstops this season. Unfortunately, if you have no stick, you pretty much have zero chance of winning a Gold Glove, unless you are universally recognized as being the best at your position.

Archived