**** Arsis's official Underground Metal > You Thread ****

Arsis

Underground means not overly influenced by large record companies and what they think will help record sales (I.E. the last twenty years of metallica) I had heard that Within Temptation was getting a bit more popular. Which is good in my opinion as long as the music isn't adversely effected.

Thanks.

Funny how popularity affects some bands output.

For me it's usually the stuff before they get famous is what I like best.

• 2 weeks later...

Arsis and all - I'm not a metal guy but I've got a little music background.

These guys are very close friends of my daughters and the 1 lead player (flying V) is like family to me. I had them play at our event this year and open for the North Mississippi All Stars - but I'd like to get peoples opinions that are really into metal.

They do all thier own stuff. Not great quality video from the Metro in Chicago. Tell me what you think if you would -

jkAErLw99Lk

Hmm, all these power metal bands, and no mention of Edguy? I'd post links to some of their vids, only this computer and YouTube hate each other's guts. Check out stuff like Superheroes, Lavatory Love Machine etc. And the albums are even better.

The Luca Turilli video, is possibly one othe greatest pieces of cheese ever, possibly only beaten by Rhapsody's Rain of a Thousand Flames video. :mrgreen: Glad to see they have finally managed to start working on a new album.

I'm liking the new Epica album quite a bit.

Anyway, underground recommendations....Solstice. New Dark Age came out in 98 or so, think olde school heavy metal, mixed with doom, f**king awesome epic stuff. The new Gama Bomb's pretty enjoyable, though not as good as Citizen Brain or Survival of the Fastest, but it's early days yet, and yes, it's good and fast. Very fast. But what do you expect from a band who's motto is "Faster is gooder"?:mrgreen:

And go listen to Skeletonwitch. And Amon Amarth. But Arsis already showed you them.

• 2 months later...
Before the Weekly Power Hungry Cop Thread Gets Started:

I deleted the posts which only featured a period or comma, except the first one, to clean up the thread.

You read the article about the 81st in NY refusing to take reports and misfiling felonies as misdemeanors in order to artificially lower crime statistics? I can post the article if you're interested?

Report of fudged crime stats from Brooklyn's 81st Precinct deserves hearing, Councilman Vallone says

BY Rocco Parascandola

DAILY NEWS POLICE BUREAU CHIEF

Wednesday, February 3rd 2010, 4:00 AM

alg_nypd_81precint.jpg Antonelli/News

The Daily News found at least five crime victims who backed up allegations against the 81st Precinct.

amd_crime_rate_81_pct.gif Daily News

CLICK TO ENLARGE: CRIME STATS FROM 81st PRECINCT.

Take our Poll

Crime fighting

When you report a crime to the NYPD, are you confident the police will investigate?

Yes. I have had good experience with the police. No. It's a waste of time and paperwork. Hard to say.

Related News

A city councilman called for hearings Tuesday into whether NYPD precincts are fudging crime statistics after the Daily News revealed probes at one Brooklyn stationhouse.

"Crime numbers should never be manipulated," said Councilman Peter Vallone Jr., the head of the Public Safety Committee.

Vallone said cops have told him that crime numbers are manipulated, but none will testify in front of the Council for fear of retribution.

The News reported Tuesday that Officer Adrian Schoolcraft told investigators that brass at his precinct, the 81st in Bedford-Stuyvesant, regularly downgrade felonies to misdemeanors and refuse to file complaints to artificially drive down the crime rate.

The News found at least five crime victims who backed up his allegations.

Schoolcraft has his own problems. He was involuntarily admitted to a psychiatric hospital for a week in October and has been suspended for leaving work early and then refusing to report to NYPD headquarters to answer charges.

Vallone said he would be willing to hold hearings into the crime stats if more cops would come forward.

"If there were credible allegations made by police officers who would testify, it would be something we would seriously consider holding hearings on," Vallone said.

NYPD Deputy Commissioner Paul Browne said the department's Quality Assurance Division is reviewing 1,200 crime complaints filed by the 81st Precinct, four times the number of complaints the division looks at during its twice-yearly reviews.

The probe has not found anything alarming, Browne said.

Citywide, 1.5% of all reports filed by police were misclassified, Browne said. The rate at the 81st Precinct has been "significantly lower" than that since 2007.

But police sources said reviews don't look at everything, such as interviewing crime victims who say police stalled taking their reports or didn't take them at all - a complaint from several people in the 81st Precinct.

rparascandola@nydailynews.com

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2010/02/03/2010-02-03_fudged_crime_stats_report_deserves_hearing_sez_pol.html

Brooklyn's 81st Precinct probed by NYPD for fudging stats; felonies allegedly marked as misdemeanors

BY Rocco Parascandola

DAILY NEWS POLICE BUREAU CHIEF

Tuesday, February 2nd 2010, 3:35 AM

alg_schoolcraft.jpg Benjamin for News

Adrian Schoolcraft, a suspended NYPD officer, and Deputy Inspector Steven Mauriello (below) of Brooklyn's 81st Precinct are on opposite sides of dispute over accuracy of crime statistics.

amd_mauriello.jpg

amd_crime_rate_81_pct.gif Daily News

CLICK TO ENLARGE: CRIME RATE FOR 81st PRECINCT

Take our Poll

Crime fighting

When you report a crime to the NYPD, are you confident the police will investigate?

Yes. I have had good experience with the police. No. It's a waste of time and paperwork. Hard to say.

81st Precinct: CASE STUDIES

A Brooklyn precinct is under investigation for manipulating statistics to make its cops look like better crimefighters, the Daily News has learned.

Two probes are centered around whether Bedford-Stuyvesant's 81st Precinct recorded felonies as misdemeanors and refused to take complaints from victims - all in an effort to drive down the crime rate, sources said.

And the allegations came from one of the precinct's officers.

Officer Adrian Schoolcraft shared his suspicions with the Internal Affairs Bureau and the Quality Assurance Division, the NYPD unit responsible for maintaining the integrity of crime stats.

Schoolcraft told The News the top brass are so concerned with numbers that one precinct lieutenant is known as "The Shredder" because he's often spotted destroying documents.

NYPD Deputy Commissioner Paul Browne confirmed the Quality Assurance Division probe. Other police sources confirmed both investigations.

"We have received these complaints, and Quality Assurance has undertaken a review. These complaints are being reviewed as to whether or not this is true and whether this was done as a matter of error or intentionally," Browne said.

Schoolcraft gave The News the names of 14 crime victims from notes he took at the precinct from late 2008 to October 2009.

In interviews with The News, five crime victims appeared to back up Schoolcraft's allegations.

Of the remaining nine, four could not be reached, three believed cops responded correctly to their crimes and two initially told The News they had problems with the precinct but could not be reached for further clarification.

Brooklyn mom Marbel Rentas said she was happy with 81st Precinct cops after her son was robbed of his Sidekick phone on a basketball court in October. "They didn't arrest no one, but the police drove him home afterward. They were nice to him," Rentas said. The case, a source said, was correctly classified as a robbery.

The five people who said their cases were mishandled included:

- A man who said he was beaten bloody and robbed - and then told by cops he was the victim of a "lost property" case because he didn't get a good look at the suspects.

- Another man who said he was berated by the precinct's commanding officer, Deputy Inspector Steven Mauriello, for trying to report a stolen car.

- Another stolen car victim who said it took her a month to get a complaint taken - and that happened only when a supervisor realized she was a retired traffic agent.

- An elderly man who said cops would not take a report when he was burglarized, saying there was "no evidence."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2010/02/02/2010-02-02_precinct_probed_for_fudging_stats_li_say_bklyns_81st_wanted_to_improve_its_crime.html#ixzz0eo0L81CM

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2010/02/02/2010-02-02_precinct_probed_for_fudging_stats_li_say_bklyns_81st_wanted_to_improve_its_crime.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/07/nyregion/07crime.html

More than a hundred retired New York Police Department captains and higher-ranking officers said in a survey that the intense pressure to produce annual crime reductions led some supervisors and precinct commanders to manipulate crime statistics, according to two criminologists studying the department.

Skip to next paragraph Enlarge This Image

07crime_CA1-articleInline.jpg James Estrin/The New York Times

Rudolph W. Giuliani in 1995 discussing the crime rate. At left is the police commissioner at the time, William J. Bratton.

The retired members of the force reported that they were aware over the years of instances of

You read the article about the 81st in NY refusing to take reports and misfiling felonies as misdemeanors in order to artificially lower crime statistics? I can post the article if you're interested?

Pass. I hear enough of that crap in the local news, coming out of Detroit PD. There's plenty of ineptitude to go around. I'll just stick to being one of the good guys who you never hear about.

However, I can post an article about some great police work out of my department last week, that resulted in the apprehension of 5 armed robbery/home invasion suspects and 2 stolen hand guns recovered. Woman was hiding in a closet with her 2 kids and called us, we were there so fast we caught the 2 drivers immediately and the other guys were still in the house. I can post the article if you're interested.

Pass. I hear enough of that crap in the local news, coming out of Detroit PD. There's plenty of ineptitude to go around. I'll just stick to being one of the good guys who you never hear about.

However, I can post an article about some great police work out of my department last week, that resulted in the apprehension of 5 armed robbery/home invasion suspects and 2 stolen hand guns recovered. Woman was hiding in a closet with her 2 kids and called us, we were there so fast we caught the 2 drivers immediately and the other guys were still in the house. I can post the article if you're interested.

I would be interested but apparently I got perma-banned again for no reason. For a place that rips JI for banning people randomly for no reason or for not liking people or for saying something a mod doesn't like. You guys sure do that a lot around here. Why even unban me and send me an e-mail about it if you were going to perma-ban me again like that?

I would be interested but apparently I got perma-banned again for no reason. For a place that rips JI for banning people randomly for no reason or for not liking people or for saying something a mod doesn't like. You guys sure do that a lot around here. Why even unban me and send me an e-mail about it if you were going to perma-ban me again like that?

You'll refuse to believe me, but I'm telling the truth when I say that it wasn't me that just perma-banned you.

I believe that this site is great because it is a community of Jets fans looking to talk football and some off topic stuff. The guiding principle here is that what we do is all in good fun.

This topic was old news, it was done. Some people just don't know when to leave well enough alone.

So if it isn't in the spirit of good fun, there is no place for it here.

You'll refuse to believe me, but I'm telling the truth when I say that it wasn't me that just perma-banned you.

Why would I refuse to believe you? Just because I like breaking your balls? If you say it wasn't you. I believe you. I'd love to know why I was banned. I did nothing against the rules. There was no "you can come back but don't mess with g.o.b. anymore" provisions attached to my reinstatement.

I'm sure glad Max let you back. Things were boring here without your general ineptitude and stupidity.

Sorry about that. I should have listened to you. I believe people, when I get messages saying let me back, I really do believe that this site means stuff to people.

I can admit when I am wrong though. I was wrong.

Why would I refuse to believe you? Just because I like breaking your balls? If you say it wasn't you. I believe you. I'd love to know why I was banned. I did nothing against the rules. There was no "you can come back but don't mess with g.o.b. anymore" provisions attached to my reinstatement.

For the record, I am not 100% sure the not not account is legit. It may be but I checked the IP quick and one username match came up that lead me to believe it may have been a fake.

I didn't search extensively though, so it may be legit. Either way though I just banned it.

Also, I merged these two threads together. I don't think any explanation is really needed here. But if it is I think we should all refer back to the all in good fun statement I made earlier. There is a line and when it is crossed, enough is just enough.

EDIT: Looks like the not not account may have been him as well. My bad, I thought it was an imposter.

I believe that this site is great because it is a community of Jets fans looking to talk football and some off topic stuff. The guiding principle here is that what we do is all in good fun.

This topic was old news, it was done. Some people just don't know when to leave well enough alone.

So if it isn't in the spirit of good fun, there is no place for it here.

I'm so using this the next time I get a PM about my racial humor.

Can I tell a black Jewish joke now? :)

For the record, I am not 100% sure the not not account is legit. It may be but I checked the IP quick and one username match came up that lead me to believe it may have been a fake.

I didn't search extensively though, so it may be legit. Either way though I just banned it.

Also, I merged these two threads together. I don't think any explanation is really needed here. But if it is I think we should all refer back to the all in good fun statement I made earlier. There is a line and when it is crossed, enough is just enough.

EDIT: Looks like the not not account may have been him as well. My bad, I thought it was an imposter.

As you will soon find out, we are all one PhilMax. Your primitive IP tracking techniques are no match for our advanced Arsisian IPv22 spoofing algorithms.

We will not be silenced, in the present, past or future.

Archived