Garrard On Sanchez

DireJet38

For what it's worth on this atrocious evening . . .

After the game, Jacksonville quarterback David Garrard said that he had watched Sanchez and that in his mind, the Jets had a keeper.

As Garrard pointed out, just about every quarterback has gone through a period of struggle. Peyton Manning suffered through a 3-13 record as rookie, and it took him six seasons to win a playoff game. Manning was frustrated time after time in divisional and conference championship games until the 2006 season, when he broke through and led the Colts to a Super Bowl championship.

I've always liked Garrard. He's a standup guy, and one of the most underrated QB's in the league. If he was anywhere other than Jax, probably the worst NFL town, he would be more on the radar.

I actually had a really cool experience with David Garrard. We basically watched MNF together a couple of years ago and he was the most gracious candidade genuine dude. You'd never know he was an NFL QB.

We were actually talking about Kellen Clemens. And he said a lot of the same things that he's saying about Mark. We were watching the Redskins and he was saying the same thing about Jason Campbell. So, I dont know if thats huge news.

Either way, David is a stand up guy.

I actually had a really cool experience with David Garrard. We basically watched MNF together a couple of years ago and he was the most gracious candidade genuine dude. You'd never know he was an NFL QB.

We were actually talking about Kellen Clemens. And he said a lot of the same things that he's saying about Mark. We were watching the Redskins and he was saying the same thing about Jason Campbell. So, I dont know if thats huge news.

So you're saying Garrard doesn't know quarterbacks?

LOL, that's a cool experience, but not too encouraging about QB's. Clemens sucks.

LOL. No, just saying this might be typical rhetoric when asked about young QB's. He says its all about snaps. The more you get, the more comfortable you get. Pretty much just saying what he said here about Sanchez.

No opinion. Just telling you what he said.

LOL, that's a cool experience, but not too encouraging about QB's. Clemens sucks.

Yep...super cool. Was playing Hold'em with Fred Taylor, Marcus Stroud and Quinn Gray. When I got knocked out, I was kicking with Garrard just totally interviewing him and he was giving me straight answers.

Really cool dude. Very humble.

Yep...super cool. Was playing Hold'em with Fred Taylor, Marcus Stroud and Quinn Gray. When I got knocked out, I was kicking with Garrard just totally interviewing him and he was giving me straight answers.

How did you get into a game with those guys? And what position and for what team does Gray play for? I'd love to talk to some NFL guys.

As a Florida fan, I hope you took advantage of the opportunity and endlessly gave Stroud sh-t. I hung out with Elvis Dumervil shortly before the NFL combine when he came out and my buddy and I tore him to shreds over the Louisville upset...had him cracking up for a while actually.

How did you get into a game with those guys? And what position and for what team does Gray play for? I'd love to talk to some NFL guys.

I think he's a back up Qb in KC these day. He was backing up Garrard at the time.

There's a cigar bar in town you need to be a member of to get in. My boss has a membership and could get a couple of guests in. Well, those guys were all up there playing cards and I got in on the game.

Funny story. One of the random dudes in the game was trying to be this big hot shot. Saying he rep'd some cell phone and gets invited to games for promos. So he meets all these players and they all know him. He starts talking about why David never gets out and how they go way back. David is sitting right in front of him. So David starts playing with the guy, like, asking him questions about himself. Then finally after guy makes a total douche of himself, David extends his hand and says "Hi, Im David Garrard". This ****ing loud mouth douche was so embarrassed it was awesome.

It was cool man, we were talking about Leftwich, Matt Jones Del Rio. I asked him his thoughts on certain Jets players. Said Dwight Freeney is the hardest hit he's ever taken. Idolized Randall Cunningham. Cant remember who they had coming to town that week, but I said they were hungry, he said we aint going to let them eat. Talked about that game.

Just a really cool experience.

How many NFL scouts and former players lay eggs picking QB's ? No one is an expert. In college some "high profile program" players have put up big numbers their entire career then they get into the NFL and get their asses handed to them.

Being a great QB in the NFL has nothing to do with what someone thinks of you as a young QB, it has all to do with being tough and feeling the rush. If you dont have that clock in your head and if you have any fear of the rush, you can forget greatness in the NFL but there is no way to really gauge that in a player until they get out on the field in the pro game.

I think when it comes to QB's you either have it (in your first few years) or you dont. Its really that simple. You have got to show something. Most QB's that dont show much in their first 2 - 3 years usually never ever pan out. Yes of course there have been a few exceptions but for the most part thats the way it goes down.

So David Garrard can look at a QB and see talent but to be honest every QB in the NFL has talent or they would not be on an NFL roster. The question is can they handle the many parts of the NFL QB position Mentally ? David Garrard can never tell you that only time will tell. So personally I dont give a damn if it was Ron Jaworski Phill Simms or Joe Montana talking to JIF all they can see is Physical Talent and thats about it.

As a Florida fan, I hope you took advantage of the opportunity and endlessly gave Stroud sh-t. I hung out with Elvis Dumervil shortly before the NFL combine when he came out and my buddy and I tore him to shreds over the Louisville upset...had him cracking up for a while actually.

Yeah, actually it was right around FL/GA and me and Freddy were giving Stroud ****...well, I let Freddy talk the **** because Stroud is a a monster. But we were poking at him a bit. Good times.

Stroud was pretty quite. Didnt have a lot to say.

How many NFL scouts and former players lay eggs picking QB's ? No one is an expert. In college some "high profile program" players have put up big numbers their entire career then they get into the NFL and get their asses handed to them.

Being a great QB in the NFL has nothing to do with what someone thinks of you as a young QB, it has all to do with being tough and feeling the rush. If you dont have that clock in your head and if you have any fear of the rush, you can forget greatness in the NFL but there is no way to really gauge that in a player until they get out on the field in the pro game.

I think when it comes to QB's you either have it (in your first few years) or you dont. Its really that simple. You have got to show something. Most QB's that dont show much in their first 2 - 3 years usually never ever pan out. Yes of course there have been a few exceptions but for the most part thats the way it goes down.

So David Garrard can look at a QB and see talent but to be honest every QB in the NFL has talent or they would not be on an NFL roster. The question is can they handle the many parts of the NFL QB position Mentally ? David Garrard can never tell you that only time will tell. So personally I dont give a damn if it was Ron Jaworski Phill Simms or Joe Montana talking to JIF all they can see is Physical Talent and thats about it.

I think David Garrard is a little more qualified than you on assessing QB period, but especially giving his take on what his experiences were learning the NFL game. He's been there, he went through it, and is still currently an NFL QB.

I think David Garrard is a little more qualified than you on assessing QB period, but especially giving his take on what his experiences were learning the NFL game. He's been there, he went through it, and is still currently an NFL QB.

Read my post JIF im not assesing anyone. Just pointing out the fact that its damn hard for anyone to assess the position until you get a good feel as to where a player is mentally and that takes some time. I was just answering SMC's response to your post and thats about it.

How many times have we seen former QB's gushing over young players that turn out to be absolute crap. The best way to access a QB is by production and their play in the clutch any idiot can do that.

Archived