2010 New York Yankees (What would you do?)

Morrissey

First of all you are overrating Austin Jackson like CRAZY. He's not a "prime prospect" as you put, and neither is Zach McAllister. Second... Adam Dunn is a PROVEN 40 HR hitter, who could possibly hit 50 in Yankee Stadium.

You should put a paper bag over your head.

What are you smoking? AJax is currently the Youngest player in IL who, yes, might have an inflated BABIP and didn't show power last year, but he's cost controlled for 6 years and is not nearly a finished product.

As for McAllister, he's another 6 year cost controlled prospect who's 1 season (maybe less) away from hitting the ML, whose ceiling is a mid-rotation starter.

Adam Dunn was signed to a 2 year 20 million dollar contract and has negative value defensively (-38.2 Uzr/150). Even if you're salivating at that 140 OPS+ he'll give you it's not worth it considering we have guys that are going to be rotated in and out of that DH spot this year(Posada) and in the future (Posada, ARod). Tying up Adam Dunn to a long term contract is plain lunacy- the man is never going to see the light of day on the field, and relegating him to the DH spot brings down his overall value.

They are both very good prospects. McAlister is the yankees best pitching prospect at the moment and CF's who can hit are rare. Dunn is a very good hitter but he's getting older and is one of the worst outfielders in the major. The yankees are better off bringing Damon back short term than making this trade.

They're decent prospects. Jesus Montero, Buster Posey, and Jason Heyward are very good prospects. Austin Jackson is probably 2 notches below them. Jackson strikes out way too much, doesn't walk enough, and has no power. He has a lot to improve if he's going to be much better than either Melky Cabrera and Brett Gardner. This all mute, because I don't think the Nationals would want Austin Jackson, they already have Nyjer Morgan.

Dunn would be the Yankees DH, so who cares what his defense looks like. He's 29 years old, you know... the same age as Mark Teixeira, and would be a DH, so I wouldn't worry about his age any time soon. I would re-sign Damon to hit 2nd and play in LF if we traded for Dunn.

1. Jeter SS

2. Damon LF

3. Teixeira 1B

4. Rodriguez 3B

5. Dunn DH

6. Posada C

7. Cano 2B

8. Swisher RF

9. We'll see CF

Adam Dunn -- the Yankees don't need a masher that might strike out 180 times in the middle of the lineup.

Pass.

You can live with high strike out rates when you are a power hitter. Especially a power hitter who gets on base a lot. You can't live with it when speed is part of your game. You'll take the strike outs with guys like Adam Dunn and Ryan Howard because of the production they give you. That's how I feel at least.

I thought you left after you were banned for personal attacks.

Ban me again. I don't really care. It's pretty clear that the rules only apply to some posters around here anyway. I'm not sure why I didn't remember that before I started posting again... My bad. Tell your pal Scott Dipsh*t to stop PM'ing me too. Thanks.

You can live with high strike out rates when you are a power hitter. Especially a power hitter who gets on base a lot. You can't live with it when speed is part of your game. You'll take the strike outs with guys like Adam Dunn and Ryan Howard because of the production they give you. That's how I feel at least.

That is one thing that has definitely changed with the game in recent years. I know strikeouts aren't perceived as negatively as they were in years past. Beats a double play kind of thing and I agree to an extent.

I just don't see the need for the Yankees to make a move that big. I would love to see them go with more homegrown talent and cut payroll. Winning it all next year at 160 million would be sweet. :-P

That is one thing that has definitely changed with the game in recent years. I know strikeouts aren't perceived as negatively as they were in years past. Beats a double play kind of thing and I agree to an extent.

I just don't see the need for the Yankees to make a move that big. I would love to see them go with more homegrown talent and cut payroll. Winning it all next year at 160 million would be sweet. :-P

I could careless what the payroll is. Yankee haters will hate no matter what their payroll is. A championship with a $200M payroll feels just as a good as $160M payroll.

I want to get younger (Adam Dunn does that, he just turned 30 years old) but if we're parting ways with Matsui, we MUST replace that bat. If we can't find a replacement, then we have to bring him back.

I could careless what the payroll is. Yankee haters will hate no matter what their payroll is. A championship with a $200M payroll feels just as a good as $160M payroll.

I want to get younger (Adam Dunn does that, he just turned 30 years old) but if we're parting ways with Matsui, we MUST replace that bat. If we can't find a replacement, then we have to bring him back.

Well I agree that if they lose Matsui, that leaves a hole in the lineup. I think Matsui is back though, even for just one year. I would not be happy seeing Cano, Swisher or Posada owning that 5 spot next year.

Bringing Matsui back keeps the bat and getting a better defensive outfielder to replace Damon improves the team. They do need to get younger, I hope they do it in LF instead of DH.

Here is the Top 20 in strike outs:

Mark Reynolds- 223

Ryan Howard- 186

Jack Cust- 185

Adam Dunn- 177

Brandon Inge- 170

Carlos Pena- 163

Jason Bay- 162

Mike Cameron- 156

Jayson Werth- 156

B.J. Upton- 152

Shin-Soo Choo- 151

Dan Uggla- 150

Chris Davis- 150

Russell Branyan- 149

Brad Hawpe- 145

Adam LaRoche- 142

Curtis Granderson- 141

David Wright- 140

Michael Bourn- 140

Evan Longoria- 140

(Nick Swisher at 126 is the only Yankee in the Top 50)

Some pretty good players on that list.

Well I agree that if they lose Matsui, that leaves a hole in the lineup. I think Matsui is back though, even for just one year. I would not be happy seeing Cano, Swisher or Posada owning that 5 spot next year.

Bringing Matsui back keeps the bat and getting a better defensive outfielder to replace Damon improves the team. They do need to get younger, I hope they do it in LF instead of DH.

I always thought Matsui was done with the Yankees, I still think Cashman wants to part ways, but it just seems logical to bring him back for another year, until maybe Jesus Montero can take over. Unless we can replace him with a equal or better bat. With Damon I really like his bat a the top of the order. If we part ways with him we need to find a new lead off hitter if we move Jeter back to the 2 hole, or we need to find a new 2 hole hitter, with Jeter still leading off.

I always thought Matsui was done with the Yankees, I still think Cashman wants to part ways, but it just seems logical to bring him back for another year, until maybe Jesus Montero can take over. Unless we can replace him with a equal or better bat. With Damon I really like his bat a the top of the order. If we part ways with him we need to find a new lead off hitter if we move Jeter back to the 2 hole, or we need to find a new 2 hole hitter, with Jeter still leading off.

Matsui being done here was the conventional wisdom, no doubt. But he put together a string of at bats that changed that. Maybe they both agree to short term deals. I don't think that happens. And if they have to choose I think Matsui would be the harder one to replace. (They do have to find something to fit in at the top of the lineup - but that is easier than a solid #5 hitter).

I guess I'm a traditionalist. I still view them pretty negatively.

I HATE JETER IN THE 2 HOLE!

No homo.

I HATE JETER IN THE 2 HOLE!

No homo.

:rl::rl::rl:

I thought Jeter would be much better as the 2 hitter, always have thought that. But seeing him lead off this year just proves that Girardi made the right move. He is a free swinger, 1st pitch swings a lot... putting him as the # 2 is bad. Especially with the double plays.

Archived